Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree1Likes

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    It is because under settings - mobile networks - your phone is set to have 4G as highest connection. Since you are on OrangeEE, you won't get 4G. Change that to 3G and your phone will stop looking for 4G. With that setting you will drain your phone in less than 6 hours!
    Just signed up to the forum to say a big thank you. Was very happy with my 920 until this update, since which battery life has been rubbish, and also had loss of signal. Since setting highest connection to 3G, the battery life seems almost back to normal. Hoping a few more charging cycles will completely sort it. Thanks again

Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    It took couple days to get back to normal battery life for me after the Portico update. Samething when I first got the phone, battery life improved after a week.
    Favorite Apps: Windows Phone News, WPCentral, TV Series, Flash Sports, myTube, Metrotube, wpTorrent, Yxplayer WP8, Moliplayer Pro, Package Tracker, NZBConnect, Media Browser, Audiotica 4, MP3 finder, User Agent Switcher (use iPad as agent), UC Browser, GetThemAll, Amazing Music, Music+, MetroRadio, FlashVideo, Navigon, WebApps, Note It
    Quote Originally Posted by GUINEPIG2 View Post
    Just signed up to the forum to say a big thank you. Was very happy with my 920 until this update, since which battery life has been rubbish, and also had loss of signal. Since setting highest connection to 3G, the battery life seems almost back to normal. Hoping a few more charging cycles will completely sort it. Thanks again
    Welcome to WPC :)
    Glad my post made you sign up, visit these forums often. Apart from regular whining and crying for the greatest and the latest (Instagram and bird games) we do usually talk about good stuff and help out each other to get the best out of devices. It's a lovely community! Hope you'll come here more often.
    A couple of discharge-charge cycles will make the battery as robust as it was before the update. I think Portico update resets many settings like brightness, proximity sensor and radios. The only thing we can't change is brightness at the moment, so if you find your phone too bright generally, switch off autobrightness and keep it to low as well, helps further the battery life.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Just noticed something missing in Portico. I was about to change my speed to 2G (it isn't visible in settings even though I'm on T-Mo, that's what you get for buying your phone locked from Phones4U, it's using EE firmware), and was about to do the Field Test (##3282#) and... nothing happened. So, with 3G/4G being the only options on my phone (and I can't even use 4G because I'm not on EE), and Field Test not working, how can I lock my phone to 2G signal using the firmware I am (I point blank refuse to load different firmware, unless it's firmware from an update pushed to my phone).

Nvm, [S]Bing[/S] Google brought up the answer. Use ##3282 then hit call (instead of ##3282#)

Field Test mode on Portico?

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Just noticed something missing in Portico. I was about to change my speed to 2G (it isn't visible in settings even though I'm on T-Mo, that's what you get for buying your phone locked from Phones4U, it's using EE firmware), and was about to do the Field Test (##3282#) and... nothing happened. So, with 3G/4G being the only options on my phone (and I can't even use 4G because I'm not on EE), and Field Test not working, how can I lock my phone to 2G signal using the firmware I am (I point blank refuse to load different firmware, unless it's firmware from an update pushed to my phone).

Nvm, [S]Bing[/S] Google brought up the answer. Use ##3282 then hit call (instead of ##3282#)

Field Test mode on Portico?
    Or if you aren't too fussed, you can still get the older firmware from Navifirm with 2g/3g/4g options. I've had a screen shot in one of the pages of this thread. One of my Lumias is running older firmware for some reason, and its from OTA, not Navifirm.

With that field test, what I've done in past is add that number as "2G Toggle" on my phonebook. Pin a small tile that says 2G toggle on my start screen, so I just tap, call, settings, change 2G.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,474 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    With that field test, what I've done in past is add that number as "2G Toggle" on my phonebook. Pin a small tile that says 2G toggle on my start screen, so I just tap, call, settings, change 2G.
    I like that idea. Probably won't do it as I should be able to remember ##3282 but nonetheless that idea is sweet.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhan...work_Selection

Is the toggle ENS switch - I'm sure EE must be using ENS across the Orange T-Mobile networks - was this enabled pre portico and then disabled afterwards ? I never checked mine before portico to know.

Do a ##3382 and have a look if yours is disabled. (Pre portico is ##3282#) then hit the dots at the bottom right and then settings.

Be interesting to see if they disabled ENS by accident on the update to portico explaining our signal issues (phone will sit on the home network sim signal rather than going for the strongest signal).

Thanks
    DM

Mine is off, should it be on then? Also the number seems to be ##3282

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    Yeah after portico it's that, before its the other code.

If EE are using ENS on the Orange / T-Mobile networks then yeah it will help otherwise your phone will sit on its home network (Whoever supplied the sim - orange or t-mobile) and will only switch when there is no coverage as opposed to when it finds a stronger or better signal.

If they're not using ENS then this is all mute.

If people still have the firmware before portico and can tell us whether this toggle was on or off that would help us a bit as well.

What with Orange and T-Mobile decommissioning masts where they have too many it's important that our phones can use the ones that are available properly.

Even though they've renamed the networks to one common name (EE) the phones still see them as different networks with different MNCs (mobile network codes)

Thanks
    DM

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    Oh and incase anyone wanted to know 4GEE (EE) SIM cards are actually T-Mobile SIM cards with a few extra settings on them to allow access to the LTE network which is built on T-Mobiles MNC.

All of EE (the 4g network operator) is basically built on the T-Mobile systems and sims just rebranded as EE.

T-Mobile had much newer systems than Orange so that's why they did it that way.

So to recap :

Orange sim : home network Orange EE masts and MNC
    T-Mobile sim : home network T-Mobile EE masts and MNC
    EE sim : home network T-Mobile EE masts and MNC with LTE access enabled

Thanks
    DM

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    EE-Orange : 234-33/34
    EE-T-Mobile : 234-30/31/32

Are the MCC-MNC for each networks masts.

You can check which network you're attached to under the GSM/WCDMA/LTE headings on the field test menu depending on what type of network the phone is currently connected to.

Thanks
    DM
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouseUK View Post
    EE-Orange : 234-33/34
    EE-T-Mobile : 234-30/31/32

Are the MCC-MNC for each networks masts.

You can check which network you're attached to under the GSM/WCDMA/LTE headings on the field test menu depending on what type of network the phone is currently connected to.

Thanks
    DM
    Orange customer here:

MCC-MNC under WCDMA is 234-30 which by the looks of it indicates Tmob/EE?

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    That is correct - you are currently connected to a T-Mobile 3G mast.

Did you toggle ENS ?

However this doesn't tell us anything as even with ENS on or off you could just be in an area with only a T-Mobile 3G mast so ENS would be mute in this instance as the phone would then forcibly roam onto another network.

Thanks
    DM

I turned this option on, afterwards my phone would not pick up 4G, changed it back and it picked up 4G straight away, maybe it is set to off for a reason...

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Ahhh, still no portico for my unlocked device. Will it ever arrive!

Today is my first day with ENS on and it has made a difference, in my case at least. I am on Virgin (no 4G then) and I have one of the P4U "sim free" jobbies, hence EE firmware.

My battery drain has dropped from 4.5%-5% per hour to sub 3% and almost nothing last night at home (very poor reception) where it usually drained 2%-3% per hour before.

It seems the firmware settings are optimised for the EE network (duh), I would be very interested to find out what this setting is for the unlocked devices (e.g.from Clove) as they haven't had Portico yet from what I understand.

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MF73 View Post
    I turned this option on, afterwards my phone would not pick up 4G, changed it back and it picked up 4G straight away, maybe it is set to off for a reason...
    Hey MF73 - to be honest I don't have much working knowledge of ENS & LTE -> I presume you're an EE 4G customer with a 4G USIM

To be honest I don't even know if EE are using ENS on their Orange/T-Mobile GSM Masts - I can say I've toggled ENS on and I can't notice any loss of signal due to it being on. Then again I'm not a 4G customer, I'm Orange 3G.

I will say that like the above poster, my batter life seems comparatively better with ENS set to on but I will wait this one out and get back to everyone when I know what's what.

Out of interest did you turn ENS on then back out of the field test menu and then reboot the phone before seeing if it would go to 4G ? Field Test has a knack of knocking the phone into GSM mode for some reason.

Thanks
    DM

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_ISS View Post
    Today is my first day with ENS on and it has made a difference, in my case at least. I am on Virgin (no 4G then) and I have one of the P4U "sim free" jobbies, hence EE firmware.

My battery drain has dropped from 4.5%-5% per hour to sub 3% and almost nothing last night at home (very poor reception) where it usually drained 2%-3% per hour before.

It seems the firmware settings are optimised for the EE network (duh), I would be very interested to find out what this setting is for the unlocked devices (e.g.from Clove) as they haven't had Portico yet from what I understand.
    ENS is off on my 920 purchased from Clove.

Global Posts
    859 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Point View Post
    ENS is off on my 920 purchased from Clove.
    If you're an Orange or T-Mobile customer try setting ENS on in Field Test and turning network mode to 3G and below (in the normal settings not field test) and see how you get on regarding signal strength and battery life.

If you're an Orange or T-Mobile customer try setting ENS on in Field Test and turning network mode to 3G and below (in the normal settings not field test) and see how you get on regarding signal strength and battery life.
    I'm on Orange and had neither signal strength nor battery life problems so far, also there is no 4G option on Unbranded UK devices at the moment. Will be interesting to see if Portico eventually changes that.
    As far as my knowledge of ENS goes, I was under an impression that ENS requires ENS-enabled SIM and ENS-enabled handset. Clearly handsets can be toggled, but are our SIMs supposed to be by default ENS enabled? Or are we seeing just a placebo?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Point View Post
    I'm on Orange and had neither signal strength nor battery life problems so far, also there is no 4G option on Unbranded UK devices at the moment. Will be interesting to see if Portico eventually changes that.
    Portico actually removes 2G and adds 4G option in new Nokia firmware.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456