Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

I was one of those lucky guys with my phone, never had any lock ups or problems of any nature. With EE and noticed the available update to Portico last night, ran through the installation and got confirmation that it had updated successfully. Since then, I have had every problem you could possibly imagine. I have had to do at least 5 soft resets in the last 12 hours, most of the time I reach for the phone and it has switched off!! Absolutely livid, how can an update do more harm than good. My phone is now useless, I rely on it for my job but as it randomly turns off I am pretty much stuffed!

Apart from the issue with the Date/Time following soft reset everything else seems to be OK for me (so far)...no random reboots, battery life seems about the same as before, camera looks just a little sharper, all background app were left in same state as before.

Reading through the long list of issues that users have reported maybe I'm one of the lucky few, or I've not had it installed long enough to experience the problems. I'll keep a close eye on the phone over the next couple of days and report back any issues I find.

Got my Lumia 920 updated yesterday on UK EE & immediately noticed a big improvement in the signal at home. Now seeing up to 3G+ where in the past I had been lucky to get H. At work though it's a very different kettle of fish. There the signal was always poor too, but whilst I have again seen a slight improvement I have found that the phone completely loses signal & doesn't get it back. This required a few restarts yesterday. Last night as I was leaving I noticed it was showing 'No Service' again. I drove the three miles home & this did not change at any point on the way. I had to restart the phone to get it working again. I had a look this morning & noticed that the phone was set to 4G for highest connection speed. I don't have a 4G sim so I've changed it to 3G. Can't see this making much difference, but you never know. If not I'll have to head back to the Orange shop.

Quote Originally Posted by leebaboon View Post
    I was one of those lucky guys with my phone, never had any lock ups or problems of any nature. With EE and noticed the available update to Portico last night, ran through the installation and got confirmation that it had updated successfully. Since then, I have had every problem you could possibly imagine. I have had to do at least 5 soft resets in the last 12 hours, most of the time I reach for the phone and it has switched off!! Absolutely livid, how can an update do more harm than good. My phone is now useless, I rely on it for my job but as it randomly turns off I am pretty much stuffed!
    I think you may be able to roll it back to before the update via windowsphone.com account? Sure I've seen something on there before about updates...or maybe I'm getting mixed up with my old Lumia 800 and Zune...?

I updated mine using Nokia care suite a couple of weeks ago when the update first showed up. I've had none of the problems that people are seeing in this thread since which is odd. The only thing I can suggest is that I had to do a complete overwrite so was effectively doing a hard reset and clean install so maybe it's not the software but the update process which is causing this issue?

Talked to Nokia support this morning after another few shut downs. Was told I should perform a hard reset and see if that fixes things.

Just had to contact them again as it has been showing the cogs moving for over 3 hours now!! Spoke to a guy called Jonathan who told me that their 920 took around 4 hours to complete a hard reset, apparently its dependent on how much data the phone has stored. Not feeling very confident but we shall see.

That seemed to go pretty smoothly. It appeared to hang after downloading, but a bit of waiting revealed that it hadn't done.

Does anyone know if Portico fixes the hard reset/brick problem? I've wanted to do a hard reset for ages, but I haven't dared since bricking my old phone by doing one.
    What's the hard reset procedure? Vol down and power?
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

The only issues I have noticed so far on mine since the update is the fact that the brightness seems to have a hard time adjusting itself and staying the way it is so its sort of distracting when using the phone. The second thing I have noticed is the fact that the battery life seems to have gotten worse for me as I seem to have lost 15% of battery in the space of three hours which never used to happen before....I'm hoping the problem somehow is related to the fact that the phone needs time adjust with the update so here is me hoping for the best at the moment.

Anyone else notice the same things as me ?

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    What's the hard reset procedure? Vol down and power?
    Yeah you hold them together and wait till the phone vibrates to let go

Isn't vol down and pwr button just soft reset?

Yes vol down and pwr = soft reset no loss of data
    Then in that case, I've never come across the bricking of any of my Lumias solely because I kept thinking Hard reset = vol down + power :P
    So how do you actually hard reset this then? Not that I would want to risk a brick ;)

BTW, may I add that after 2 complete discharge cycles post-update, I have used my phone on 3G (whatsapp installed), for about 9 hours now and only lost 16%. Idle time out of 9 hours is about 7 hours. Other 2, while travelling, I've listened to music, streamed online as well AND used whatsapp a few minutes here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by MohamedIdle View Post
    The only issues I have noticed so far on mine since the update is the fact that the brightness seems to have a hard time adjusting itself and staying the way it is so its sort of distracting when using the phone. The second thing I have noticed is the fact that the battery life seems to have gotten worse for me as I seem to have lost 15% of battery in the space of three hours which never used to happen before....I'm hoping the problem somehow is related to the fact that the phone needs time adjust with the update so here is me hoping for the best at the moment.

Anyone else notice the same things as me ?
    The auto-brightness thing is very disappointing. It used to work perfectly. Now I've just turned it off because it's so distracting.

Hard reset is when you go into settings->about-> reset your phone. I think you can do it with *both* volume buttons and power too, but i'm not sure. When I did it via the settings menu to try and fix a problem with my old one, it simply killed it which is a known issue.

hardreset1.png
    hardreset2.png
    It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and resolve all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln
    Thanked by:

6 hours in and still the cogs turn........ This phone has been killed by Portico :/

Quote Originally Posted by leebaboon View Post
    6 hours in and still the cogs turn........ This phone has been killed by Portico :/
    You might want to look at this thread:
    Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!
    It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and resolve all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_2 View Post
    The auto-brightness thing is very disappointing. It used to work perfectly. Now I've just turned it off because it's so distracting.
    I also have this, it can't seem to make up its mind!

Sorry if this has been asked, 3 kids running free at the mo, not getting a minute to read the thread at the minute! Just got an update (Orange Customer), got all excited obviously, but the Firmware says 1232.5951.1249.1017 - OS 8.0 10211.204 .... according to quick google search this isn't portico (1249.... is the number quoted) Can anyone help? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Camera Chick View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked, 3 kids running free at the mo, not getting a minute to read the thread at the minute! Just got an update (Orange Customer), got all excited obviously, but the Firmware says 1232.5951.1249.1017 - OS 8.0 10211.204 .... according to quick google search this isn't portico (1249.... is the number quoted) Can anyone help? Thanks
    That's Portico with latest firmware :)
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Thanked by:

Brill!! Thought it would be a longer wait! What's the 1249. ... Firmware update bringing then?

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

I'm having real trouble with my mobile network and the WiFi connection since the update. The speed seems to have plummeted. The WPC app is now really struggling. Im get all sorts of errors and am struggling to post etc.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001
    Quote Originally Posted by Camera Chick View Post
    Brill!! Thought it would be a longer wait! What's the 1249. ... Firmware update bringing then?

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express
    1249 - firmware update is supposedly addressing the heating issue and portico itself is bringing bug fixes and 3-4 features like wifi always on, drafts etc. But 1249 also removes 2G connection for EE customers.
    Thanked by:
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy001 View Post
    I'm having real trouble with my mobile network and the WiFi connection since the update. The speed seems to have plummeted. The WPC app is now really struggling. Im get all sorts of errors and am struggling to post etc.
    I've experienced the same but I think it is WPC app as my browser works with normal speed and so does Line and Whatsapp.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast