Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tebugg

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I am thinking of buying a Lumia 920. Obviously there is a lot going for the L920, especially Nokia's commitment. The added weight and smaller screen (compared to the Ativ S) is for the sake of an awesome camera, right? However, the video recording quality seems poor in that the focusing is choppy and the colors change frequently. For example, this video is filmed on a L920, notice how the desk etc change color frequently...very annoying:

A somewhat misleading set of video comparisons a while back on wmpoweruser.com pointed out the inconsistent coloring. Has the update changed this at all? What are your thoughts on this if you own a Lumia 920?

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I honestly found the video recording phenomenal and better then any other device I've used. There are several music videos online recorded with just a lumia 920.

Video is here:

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    You need to turn off auto white light, that is the cause of the color changing.

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryker002 View Post
    I honestly found the video recording phenomenal and better then any other device I've used. There are several music videos online recorded with just a lumia 920.

Video is here:
    That music video looks pretty awesome, especially for a phone! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hopefully the other comment about the auto-white balance explains why the other video I posted had such annoying color changes. I am very interested in the Lumia 920, but only if the camera really makes it worth it. Otherwise I'd probably get the big AMOLED screen of the Ativ S (I currently use a Focus and I like it a lot)

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post
    That music video looks pretty awesome, especially for a phone! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hopefully the other comment about the auto-white balance explains why the other video I posted had such annoying color changes. I am very interested in the Lumia 920, but only if the camera really makes it worth it. Otherwise I'd probably get the big AMOLED screen of the Ativ S (I currently use a Focus and I like it a lot)
    if i'm giving advice i would tell you not to go with the ativ s. in my opinion, the lumia 920's camera is better. so if you're asking about the 920's camera, you'd be going to a worse camera with the ativ s.....in my opinion. also another important buying point is i dont think samsung really cares about supporting the ativ s. have you ever seen an ativ s commercial? yea, me neither. i've barely seen an ativ s add on a website. plus there's no news from samsung about the ativ s. to me, that alone would keep me away from buying it.
    maverick786us likes this.

Yes, the color shifting is quite annoying. However, in good uniform light the video quality is outstanding.
    The music clip above was edited, made from several recordings, and has all kind of lighting and other effects, so it’s not really a good indication of the quality of the camera.
    The unboxing of the Lumias is more what you should expect when shooting indoors under typical lighting conditions.