Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #1  
    After few weeks of using the phone, yesterday I tried to use NFC to send photos to Galaxy SIII, and the phone asked to enable Bluetooth? If need to enable Bluetooth first, what's the point of using NFC to transfer photos? And yesterday it failed, the Galaxy SIII can only detect but nothing happened. Haven't tried it on other Lumia 920 yet.
    So, I sent the photos using Bluetooth to the SIII and it worked. Very quickly and convenient.
  2. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #2  
    Sending files via NFC to another phone that is not running WP8 will be limited on the type of files. What type of files? I'm not sure. I just remember reading about it.
  3. meandu229's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #3  
    Hi
    As I understand it S3 uses wifi direct after its made a NFC connection and L920 uses Bluetooth after NFC e.g the NFC just helps pair the two phones to send the data over another technology as NFC transfers are quite slow. It is abit annoying you cant send from wp8 to droid via nfc as they use different tech but maybe one day they will support each others systems
    Thanked by:
    wilsey 
  4. gilesjuk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    #4  
    NFC is used to negotiate a bluetooth connection. It saves all the pairing, discovering and pin code nonsense. The actual transfer is done with bluetooth not NFC.
    Thanked by:
  5. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Sending files via NFC to another phone that is not running WP8 will be limited on the type of files. What type of files? I'm not sure. I just remember reading about it.
    Just trying to send the photos taken using the Lumia 920 to the SIII. And I think image file should be supported.
  6. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by meandu229 View Post
    Hi
    As I understand it S3 uses wifi direct after its made a NFC connection and L920 uses Bluetooth after NFC e.g the NFC just helps pair the two phones to send the data over another technology as NFC transfers are quite slow. It is abit annoying you cant send from wp8 to droid via nfc as they use different tech but maybe one day they will support each others systems
    NFC is standardized just like Bluetooth. I just think it should work, regardless of the OS, unless the OS specifically limited its functionality. Such as: On Bluetooth, only support Headset, not Data Transfer.
    Gonna try it on other Lumia 920 to see whether it works just like the advertisement.

    Quote Originally Posted by gilesjuk View Post
    NFC is used to negotiate a bluetooth connection. It saves all the pairing, discovering and pin code nonsense. The actual transfer is done with bluetooth not NFC.
    True, and NFC will come to handy when in a room full of people, all the bluetooth connections are on.
    When the rooms are empty or not crowded, it's actually easier to send using Bluetooth. Beside, it can find the SIII and connected to it using Bluetooth pretty fast.
  7. meandu229's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsey View Post
    NFC is standardized just like Bluetooth. I just think it should work, regardless of the OS, unless the OS specifically limited its functionality. Such as: On Bluetooth, only support Headset, not Data Transfer.
    Gonna try it on other Lumia 920 to see whether it works just like the advertisement.
    I know the NFC works and you can send web pages between the devices (920 <-> s3) issues occur because its not the nfc which does the transfer of the file its the other tech(wifi direct/bt) wp wants to use BT droid wants to use wifi direct so it doesnt work
  8. Noskal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsey View Post
    After few weeks of using the phone, yesterday I tried to use NFC to send photos to Galaxy SIII, and the phone asked to enable Bluetooth? If need to enable Bluetooth first, what's the point of using NFC to transfer photos? And yesterday it failed, the Galaxy SIII can only detect but nothing happened. Haven't tried it on other Lumia 920 yet.
    So, I sent the photos using Bluetooth to the SIII and it worked. Very quickly and convenient.
    Haha yeah, i too found this quite silly. Few days ago i tried to send some pictures from my gf's 820 to my 920 via NFC, when i tap our phones, both of us was asked to enable our BT first in settings. Just WTF? What's the point having an NFC when you tap your phone to others and you need to manually enable the BT first, the BT should've automatically turned on by default. That's the point of NFC tap and send isn't it? To make file transfer easy and instant?

    Hope Nokia will improve the NFC tap and send function on WP8, so it'll be just really tap and send to share file(s).
  9. Noskal's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    #9  
    sorry double post :(
    Last edited by Noskal; 01-14-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: double post
  10. WorzelGummage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    #10  
    I tried sending pictures from my 920 to three different SGS 3's until I realised that the Samedung transfers via WiFi direct and the 920 via Bluetooth.
  11. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by meandu229 View Post
    I know the NFC works and you can send web pages between the devices (920 <-> s3) issues occur because its not the nfc which does the transfer of the file its the other tech(wifi direct/bt) wp wants to use BT droid wants to use wifi direct so it doesnt work
    At least both manufacturer should let us know first, what kind of method is being used for NFC.
    I wonder if the payment method using NFC, is it using Wifi Direct or Bluetooth. Or perhaps, the counter will ask. "How would like to pay your bill, Sir/Ma'am? By Bluetooth or Wifi Direct."

    Quote Originally Posted by Noskal View Post
    Haha yeah, i too found this quite silly. Few days ago i tried to send some pictures from my gf's 820 to my 920 via NFC, when i tap our phones, both of us was asked to enable our BT first in settings. Just WTF? What's the point having an NFC when you tap your phone to others and you need to manually enable the BT first, the BT should've automatically turned on by default. That's the point of NFC tap and send isn't it? To make file transfer easy and instant?

    Hope Nokia will improve the NFC tap and send function on WP8, so it'll be just really tap and send to share file(s).
    True, since the Lumia 920 is using Bluetooth for NFC, it should automatically enable the Bluetooth once we enable NFC.
    In current method, it's not Tap+Send, but Tap+Tap+Tap+Tap+Send.
  12. 50000's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    80 Posts
    #12  
    NFC on that horrid excuse of an operating system Android reminds me of this article - gaining control of Android phones or activating any terrifying malware while they are still in the user's pocket.

    eScan: discovered a new vulnerability Android – attack via NFC



    Researchers at the company MWR Labs demonstrated at the conference EUSecWest, held September 19-20 in Amsterdam, a new exploit the mobile platform Android.


    Hacker attack was made with the use of “near-field communication” (NFC).


    Through NFC-connection specialists MWR Labs managed to pass between the two smartphone Samsung Galaxy S III malicious file, which is a zero-day exploit. Self-triggering the exploit allowed complete control of the receiver. Attacker could execute arbitrary code and gained access to the SMS-messages, pictures, contact lists and other information stored on your phone.


    NFC – technology of contactless data exchange with a small (2-10 cm) radius of action – is becoming an increasingly popular method of payments, easily turning the phone into a credit card or electronic purse. To make a payment via NFC only need to bring the phone to the reader in the turnstile, or just stand in the poster on the wall.


    Unfortunately, the rapid spread of NFC has meant that mobile phones have acquired a number of vulnerabilities inherent in the new technology.


    “Developers NFC made some mistakes, which are now willing to use the attackers – comment eScan experts in Russia and the CIS. – For example, cybercriminals can create incorrect NFC-message reads disable their phone via NFC transmit malicious links and files, as well as substitute NFC-tags to false, which leads to illegal debited from the accounts of users. “


    To prevent attacks similar to those demonstrated MWR Labs, it is necessary that the resulting file is transmitted via NFC applications on the phone only after additional Confirmation user. Perhaps in the future of mobile phones manufacturers implement the option of the acknowledgment and will include it in your phone’s settings by default. The same option is required the user to clearly see the link received via NFC, and confirms traversed. In addition, experts recommend that users eScan NFC-devices to make payments only through trusted labels.
  13. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    623 Posts
    Global Posts
    819 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsey View Post
    At least both manufacturer should let us know first, what kind of method is being used for NFC.
    I wonder if the payment method using NFC, is it using Wifi Direct or Bluetooth. Or perhaps, the counter will ask. "How would like to pay your bill, Sir/Ma'am? By Bluetooth or Wifi Direct."



    True, since the Lumia 920 is using Bluetooth for NFC, it should automatically enable the Bluetooth once we enable NFC.
    In current method, it's not Tap+Send, but Tap+Tap+Tap+Tap+Send.
    You do realize NFC is only good at exchange a few short messages between devices (or rather a tag and a reader). That's all. It is not designed to transfer large files like pictures because of the lack of the bandwidth. If it takes all day to transfer one picture of yours purely through NFC, what will you say?

    Windows Phone 8 support both Bluetooth and WiFi tor tap+send feature although the wifi part is not wi-fi direct (Android only feature) and requires two phones connected to the same wifi network. But wifi does work and transfers files much faster than Bluetooth.
  14. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 50000 View Post

    To prevent attacks similar to those demonstrated MWR Labs, it is necessary that the resulting file is transmitted via NFC applications on the phone only after additional Confirmation user. Perhaps in the future of mobile phones manufacturers implement the option of the acknowledgment and will include it in your phone’s settings by default. The same option is required the user to clearly see the link received via NFC, and confirms traversed. In addition, experts recommend that users eScan NFC-devices to make payments only through trusted labels.
    Yeap, I agree. Especially during the payment, at least it needs additional Confirmation from the user.
  15. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    You do realize NFC is only good at exchange a few short messages between devices (or rather a tag and a reader). That's all. It is not designed to transfer large files like pictures because of the lack of the bandwidth. If it takes all day to transfer one picture of yours purely through NFC, what will you say?

    Windows Phone 8 support both Bluetooth and WiFi tor tap+send feature although the wifi part is not wi-fi direct (Android only feature) and requires two phones connected to the same wifi network. But wifi does work and transfers files much faster than Bluetooth.
    Well.. at first all I know NFC is for payment method and scanning tag. And then I saw Lumia 920 ads that emphasized on tap+send features. And guess what they did? They used it to send pictures. And I don't think it will take whole day to transfer one picture that is taken from your camera.

    Let's say on average, the picture taken using the camera will have around 2.5 MB of size.
    The supported NFC speeds, 424 kbit/s (theoretical), so in real life, let's say we take 1/3 of it, so = 141.33 kbit/s
    Time taken = (2.5 MB*1024 kB*8 bits) / 141.33 kbit/s
    = 144.9 seconds
    = 2.4 minutes.
  16. meandu229's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsey View Post
    Well.. at first all I know NFC is for payment method and scanning tag. And then I saw Lumia 920 ads that emphasized on tap+send features. And guess what they did? They used it to send pictures. And I don't think it will take whole day to transfer one picture that is taken from your camera.

    Let's say on average, the picture taken using the camera will have around 2.5 MB of size.
    The supported NFC speeds, 424 kbit/s (theoretical), so in real life, let's say we take 1/3 of it, so = 141.33 kbit/s
    Time taken = (2.5 MB*1024 kB*8 bits) / 141.33 kbit/s
    = 144.9 seconds
    = 2.4 minutes.
    but thats 2.4minutes of having to touch your phones together,,, not brilliant,, starting the bt/wifi connection via nfc is much better IMO
  17. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    623 Posts
    Global Posts
    819 Global Posts
    #17  
    NFC is a set of defined message types. So to send a large files, you will need to encode and embed the files into a message body. So, it does not come out as simple as you suggested. It's more like try to send a picture through SMS without using the MMS (and use cellular data) feature. Doable but not what anyone wanted and it is not standardized either.
  18. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by meandu229 View Post
    but thats 2.4minutes of having to touch your phones together,,, not brilliant,, starting the bt/wifi connection via nfc is much better IMO
    Yes, not as brilliant as I saw in the ads. Hence, like I said in my first post, it's much more convenient using Bluetooth.

    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    NFC is a set of defined message types. So to send a large files, you will need to encode and embed the files into a message body. So, it does not come out as simple as you suggested. It's more like try to send a picture through SMS without using the MMS (and use cellular data) feature. Doable but not what anyone wanted and it is not standardized either.
    That's why I'm just trying to test the feature like in the 920 ads, where the process is just very simple. Tap and send the files in just a few moments. Although I haven't tested in on another Lumia 920. Might be as simple as in the ads.
  19. dakranii's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    388 Posts
    #19  
    From reading this, I think you're missing the point. The files do transfer via Bluetooth, but use NFC to pair the phones to enable Bluetooth transfer. Take NFC out of the equation and you have to the pairing process manually, which is more time consuming even in the most convenient circumstances.

    NFC tap, phones paired, transfer via Bluetooth

    Vs.

    Set phones to discover other devices by Bluetooth on both phones, wait for discovery, ask for the Bluetooth password for both phones, enter password, wait for connection, transfer via Bluetooth.
  20. foxbat121's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    623 Posts
    Global Posts
    819 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsey View Post
    That's why I'm just trying to test the feature like in the 920 ads, where the process is just very simple. Tap and send the files in just a few moments. Although I haven't tested in on another Lumia 920. Might be as simple as in the ads.

    I did between an L920 and 8x and it works alas not as smooth as the commercial suggests. It takes quite a few seconds through BlueTooth. A little bit faster on WiFi. But definitely not as fast as you would thought. Try those Samsung GS3 commercials. Tap the phone to transfer a video while a taxi is driving away. That's pure fanctasy land.
  21. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dakranii View Post
    From reading this, I think you're missing the point. The files do transfer via Bluetooth, but use NFC to pair the phones to enable Bluetooth transfer. Take NFC out of the equation and you have to the pairing process manually, which is more time consuming even in the most convenient circumstances.

    NFC tap, phones paired, transfer via Bluetooth

    Vs.

    Set phones to discover other devices by Bluetooth on both phones, wait for discovery, ask for the Bluetooth password for both phones, enter password, wait for connection, transfer via Bluetooth.
    Yes, that's what I said in this thread's title. I didn't know at first that the file transfer is using Bluetooth. And by the way, when I transfer data using Bluetooth to SIII, I didn't need to enter password.
  22. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
       #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat121 View Post
    I did between an L920 and 8x and it works alas not as smooth as the commercial suggests. It takes quite a few seconds through BlueTooth. A little bit faster on WiFi. But definitely not as fast as you would thought. Try those Samsung GS3 commercials. Tap the phone to transfer a video while a taxi is driving away. That's pure fanctasy land.
    Gonna try on other Lumia 920 to see whether is it as fast as in the ads.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
  2. Help Request: How to use NFC to receive files?
    By tarzanmarzan in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2012, 11:11 PM
  3. How to enable flash use on streaming sites
    By VagrantWade in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 05:05 PM
  4. Why do I have to enable Location for Twitter app?
    By Edweirdo in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

B