Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 50000
  1. Jeffs256's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
       #1  
    I'm taking up the low tech solution from another thread on disabling the chronically annoying Search button - sticking a piece of electrical tape over it!

    BUT the bigger lurking problem is the pain I'm already getting in my right thumb and wrist from constantly reaching to the far left bottom edge of the wide 920 to hit the 'Back' button. Is anyone else suffering from the poor location of the most commonly used button in Win7/8?
    Obviously the 920's width is the factor here; I've happily used the L610 for months without any problems, but the 920 has done the damage in just 2 days!

    Remapping/disabling options for the bottom trio of buttons is critical. I'd happily cope with just a central Back button - the other two seem to create more problems than they solve!
  2. failed1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    178 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #2  
    So you want one button for everything? And not even a home button?
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express
  3. #3  
    Hold your phone closer to the bottom.

    If that doesn't work... get bigger hands.
    "Engineering is more than just the number of megapixels." - Stephen Elop
    Thanked by:
    Jastow 
  4. Alex Kj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    #4  
    I have no problem reaching it, and I don't have very long fingers... I do agree that MS should at least allow ppl to disable the "search" button - I never use it except when I touch it by accident, which still happens pretty often :-/
    Thanked by:
    Jastow 
  5. Jeffs256's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
       #5  
    With apologies to Apple, yep just a single button. Using the home button stacks up open apps, which eventually ends in tears. Another experience is holding the 920 left-handed and trying to hit the back button! You left-handers should be squealing!
  6. V J
    V J is offline
    V J's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    #6  
    I say start transitioning yourself to 2-handed operation. Every "big" phone has some sort of similar problem nowadays. I for one absolutely hate the lock button placement on the iPhone 5 where it's right up the top of the device. I have to stretch my index finger just to reach it, so I just use my other hand when I need to lock it.
  7. chobits's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #7  
    U have to use 2 hands to reach the back button or you can also hold the phone a bit lower
  8. Jeffs256's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
       #8  
    You're right - the big Windows phones are doomed to 2 handed operation. Surely the usability studies would have tracked the most frequently used button and positioned it at a reasonable ergonomic location? No doubt those buttons are hard-coded deep in the bowels of Win 8, so I'm single-handedly dusting off my Lumia 610. C Ya
  9. johninsj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    373 Posts
    #9  
    You must be watching too many apple commercials...

    You know you have two hands, right?
  10. tebugg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #10  
    wow. has the forum reached an all-time low when someone makes a thread about thumb cramps from pressing the back button? i mean, how many times do you have to keep pressing the back button to get a thumb cramp? all i can do is LOL.
  11. vlad0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    932 Posts
    #11  
    Those 3 button on the bottom have to go... no reason to have them there. They can adopt the UX to a "all swipe" paradigm .. (cough... harmattan..and I saw that Ubuntu are doing now as well.. sailfish.. ) and that way they can get rid of them.. and they can finally put the damn screen in the middle of the phone, where it should be hah
  12. cashcar1979's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    102 Posts
    #12  
    Thumb cramps? LMAO!! Dumbest post I have read in a long time...but funny at least.
  13. Alex Kj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by V J View Post
    I say start transitioning yourself to 2-handed operation. Every "big" phone has some sort of similar problem nowadays. I for one absolutely hate the lock button placement on the iPhone 5 where it's right up the top of the device. I have to stretch my index finger just to reach it, so I just use my other hand when I need to lock it.
    Eh, I almost never used it on my previous iPhones, except when I needed to reboot them... I just let them fall asleep "naturally" (Auto-Lock set to 1 minute always worked perfectly) and there's no need to use this button to wake them up ;-)
  14. 50000's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    81 Posts
    #14  
    Here are a couple of suggestions you can try to help you alleviate your problem:
    • Use your left hand
    • Use both of your hands
    • Wear a thimble and set high sensitivity on
    • Balance the phone on your pinkie for looser grip, greater reach
    • Use the phone upside down
    • Ask a passer-by to assist
    • Use your nose for the back button
    HeyCori and tebugg like this.
  15. tebugg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by 50000 View Post
    Here are a couple of suggestions you can try to help you alleviate your problem:
    • Use your left hand
    • Use both of your hands
    • Wear a thimble and set high sensitivity on
    • Balance the phone on your pinkie for looser grip, greater reach
    • Use the phone upside down
    • Ask a passer-by to assist
    • Use your nose for the back button
    ask a passer-by to assist.....lmao! good one
  16. Flan Tamarind's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    #16  
    Whenever I use my 920 one handed, I will grasp the phone deeper in my palm. Its just enough to activate the back button with my pinky. It feels alot more secure than the aforementioned pinky balancing technique. Actually works pretty well regardless of how awkward it seems, though I wonder if my large hands are enabling me.
  17. Quin 2013's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffs256 View Post
    I'm taking up the low tech solution from another thread on disabling the chronically annoying Search button - sticking a piece of electrical tape over it!

    BUT the bigger lurking problem is the pain I'm already getting in my right thumb and wrist from constantly reaching to the far left bottom edge of the wide 920 to hit the 'Back' button. Is anyone else suffering from the poor location of the most commonly used button in Win7/8?
    Obviously the 920's width is the factor here; I've happily used the L610 for months without any problems, but the 920 has done the damage in just 2 days!

    Remapping/disabling options for the bottom trio of buttons is critical. I'd happily cope with just a central Back button - the other two seem to create more problems than they solve!
    Try using your left hand.

Similar Threads

  1. Freezing Phone (Black Screen, Unresponsive To The Power Button)
    By ReverendDC in forum General Microsoft News and Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 01:14 PM
  2. Using pinky to hit back button
    By wpta in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 10:57 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM
  4. The Back button problem
    By wilco9 in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 11:31 AM
  5. New to the site, looking for opinions.
    By bill33#wp in forum WPCentral.com - Site News, Feedback, Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

B