View Poll Results: Are you happy with Nokia possible going with android?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Screw android! Microsoft all the way!

80 64.00%
  • Great idea, Let Nokia grow and reach larger markets.

45 36.00%
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By 11B1P
  • 1 Post By bilzkh
  • 1 Post By Zolotoy
  • 1 Post By the_icon12
  • 2 Post By socialcarpet
  • 1 Post By Andi_N
  • 1 Post By tebugg

Maybe, possibly in the future.... Well I for one think thats a good thing. I love Nokia and do not want them to fail, by diversifying their handsets to another OS it will put them in a position of strength. C'mon guys lets be honest, while windows phone is nice. It is extremely lacking compared to the other OS's. I for one welcome our android overlords.. Maybe Microsoft and Google will make peace through Nokias forbidden love affair..

SOURCE: http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/01/nok...ld-be-android/

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    What ever best for Nokia (probably keeping with WP )

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,248 Global Posts
    I thought this was a bad rumor that was misspelled in a story on the front page a few days back?

PM me for more details
    SergeMcG likes this.

I was once an Android user, but made a promise to myself that I will never go back to its OS until they offer me something more reliable. I think (though impossible atm, but hey...anything is possible!hehe) Nokia with iOS is more suitable. I love the 'simple but elegant' hardware of Nokia, and I also love how simple and user-friendly OS of iOS is, and putting 'em together would be a match-made-in-heaven.

Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Elop said "anything is possible" to a question about Android...but he also said that it's the future of mobile could be in HTML5 web apps, i.e. beyond specific platforms and into common cross-platform apps.

We don't know, but what we do know is that for the time being they're fully behind Windows Phone. Until then, we'll wait and see. As far as I can see, it seems to me that Samsung utterly dominates the Android market. So while a fair number of Android users might go for an Android Nokia, it is unclear to anyone if Nokia can make significant enough in-roads there.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    I really hope Nokia stick with WP.

Why should we care? Whatever keeps prices down is fine with me. I have no relatives working for Nokia.
    robmif76 likes this.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    i dont see anything that elop said that would suggest an imminent move to android. he said anything is possible. tomorrow i could play the lottery and win. anything is possible, although it's a 1 in 100 million chance. but i'll bite. i think it would be good for nokia as a business to spread it's wings and expand their portfolio. doing anything that makes your company more money is what they should be doing regardless of what consumers think they should do. so as a technology fan, as long as nokia is doing what they have to do to succeed, and if that means makin an android device or two, i would be for it.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    More like straight from your mothers mouth! Am I right guys? .....ahhhh
    socialcarpet likes this.

No way, and no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zolotoy View Post
    Why should we care? Whatever keeps prices down is fine with me. I have no relatives working for Nokia.
    I guess people like you and me live in a world of fanbois...

My preference would be to get a phone that actually works.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts
    Would go with Samsung or even HTC (which I hate). If not, I'd have BB10 and iOS to fall back on as I do not enjoy Android at all. Too much crap going on.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Nokia should use WP as its primary OS. But in order to have variety its a good idea to use other OS. But I will prefer if they use Jolla's Meego instead of buggy android in order to have variety
    (Gaming Rig)
    CPU............................Intel E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
    Mobo....................................ASUS P5Q Pro
    RAM.............................4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    HDD................................WD 6400AAKS HDD
    GPU............................MSI Cyclone GTX 460
    PSU..............................Corsair 650TX 650W
    Case..............................................CM 690
    Display...................Dell SP2208WFP (22 inch)
    O.S.........................Windows 7 Ultimatum 64
    Christ, this was nothing but a stupid rumour, and Nokia has already said they have NO intention on going android. The original article was updated (before this thread was created), this poll should be deleted.
    Thanked by:
    11B1P 
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Absolutely not.

First of all, this is a stupid rumor that arose from a very vague comment that Elop made and it doesn't even deserve a thread, certainly not one with the misleading title you picked. I seriously doubt Nokia will go to Android.

But since you opened the can of worms, I'll bite.

Nokia going to Android would be a huge mistake. I'll tell you why. First of all, Nokia actually benefits from being an exclusively Windows Phone operation. It allows them to focus all their resources in one direction. This is why Nokia's Windows Phones are better and more unique than anyone else's. This is why Nokia has lots of excellent in-house Windows Phone software and software exclusives while the others have nothing. Windows Phone also helps Nokia differentiate their brand, which is very important in such a crowded and competitive industry.

The truth is, the Android field is way too crowded. Plenty of makers are getting pushed aside and marginalized and making only tiny profits. This is because of the fierce competition. Both from Samsung who dominates Android totally, and from all the cheap, substandard Android devices that flood the market.

If Nokia went to Android, they might have a short rise in sales, but it would inevitably be a decline. Samsung would eat their lunch on the top end, and on the bottom end they would be outfoxed by all the cheap crap Android phones which aren't afraid to compromise quality to get the lowest price. It would be an unmitigated disaster for Nokia and I think they know this.

Furthermore, Android's inherent complexity and bugginess would cheapen the Nokia experience. It would not only not allow Nokia to differentiate they brand (other than maybe some horrid UI skin) but it would also prevent Nokia from being able to deliver a consistent, reliable and intuitive interface on their phones.

Even if Nokia continued to make Windows Phone AND made Android phones, that would be a problem. The reason Nokia makes the best Windows Phone experience is not only because they are a great company, but because they can focus on Windows Phone 100%. If they had to divide their resources to support/develop Android devices too, the quality of the Windows Phone innovation they do would necessarily suffer.

Nokia going to Android would be a colossal mistake that would signal the pending demise of the company. There are no guarantees with Windows Phone, but it is definitely Nokia's best chance. I believe Elop is smart enough to realize that and I hope I am right. I would hate to lose Nokia and have to choose between Samsung and HTC devices or an iPhone. Ugh...
    a5cent and Laura Knotek like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Absolutely not.

First of all, this is a stupid rumor that arose from a very vague comment that Elop made and it doesn't even deserve a thread
    Agree completely. Nokia just completed a very expensive phase of downsizing and restructuring. Tens of Thousands left the company... everyone working on projects unrelated to WP or Asha had to go. Developing Android devices would require Nokia to either refill many of those vacated positions, which Nokia can't afford as they are still in a financial pickle, or split the current team up to work on two different OS series... likely leaving both understaffed teams uncompetitive. Rediculously bad decision! If such a strategic shift were actually to occur at this time, ALL institutional investors would interpret this as a failing of their current strategy and a huge stock sell off would quickly get the company split up and sold in parts. Such a move is viable only after regaining very healthy financial footing! The rumor is stupid.
    Last edited by a5cent; 01-08-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Why Microsoft? Here's why.

While iOS looks like a sterile environment, much like what an intensive-care-unit room looks like to me, Android looks like my brother's bedroom, messy, cluttered, too unruly, yes you might find surprising stuff here and there but it is just so hard to navigate and it still is messy.

WP8 looks to me like an art gallery, like the Louvre if you'll allow it. You can just stand at once place and look at a painting and it is impossible to only be imprisoned into one perspective (much like the Live Tiles, it gives you more than one info even if you're just staring at it flipping away). It's alive, it's like breathing, it changes. You'll always be surprised in every turn. A GLORIOUS strikingly colored polycarbonate with zirconium and Gorilla glass 2 device is an art form.

You might be able to put a glorious sculpture or painting in an intensive-care-unit in a hospital but it just looks so wrong, like it's out if place, like "what the ***** is that monalisa painting doing in the operating room?". You could also put it in my brother's bedroom but the mess all around doesn't give the piece of art justice, like it isn't at peace in its environment.
    But where you will most definitely never go wrong is putting a work of art in another work of art. Much like a very expensive painting inside the Louvre which is an architectural masterpiece itself.

That's why Nokia's only OS should be Windows Phone 8 and beyond.

Thus, with all that lengthy reply of mine, I whole-heartedly say SCREW Android.
    socialcarpet likes this.

Why not? Can't do worse than they did with Windows Phone 7 and 8. But then Nokia would be competing directly with Samsung. No one can beat Sammy at the Android game. I have yet to see anyone beat them at what they do with android.

anything that gets the stock up over $8 works for me... once I sell, they can do whatever they want :)

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    there's been alot of posts created about articles that talk about the demise of windows phone or nokia, sometimes multiple threads for the same news. i guess the saying is true "if you dont have haters you're not doing it right". to me it says people see wp8 as a threat and they go out of their way to say anything negative about wp8 or nokia. when nokia releases their numbers on january 24th for Q4, people will see they have sold well. this reminds me of android right before it's rise. verizon took the droid campaign and ran with it. that put android on the map. now AT&T is trying to do the same with wp8 with nokia, htc, samsung etc as partners. i feel this is the rise of the legitimate 3rd cell phone OS in the market. unlike android, wp8 has alot more competition to cut into.
    Thanked by:
    SergeMcG likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tebugg View Post
    there's been alot of posts created about articles that talk about the demise of windows phone or nokia, sometimes multiple threads for the same news. i guess the saying is true "if you dont have haters you're not doing it right". to me it says people see wp8 as a threat and they go out of their way to say anything negative about wp8 or nokia. when nokia releases their numbers on january 24th for Q4, people will see they have sold well. this reminds me of android right before it's rise. verizon took the droid campaign and ran with it. that put android on the map. now AT&T is trying to do the same with wp8 with nokia, htc, samsung etc as partners. i feel this is the rise of the legitimate 3rd cell phone OS in the market. unlike android, wp8 has alot more competition to cut into.
    People will sometimes just create something imaginary in their head as proof of why WP8 sucks, when it isn't even true. Then there's those extremists that would probably target users with Windows Phones and then just kill only them. WP is a threat, let's not deny this, so the extremists will try and stop it by any means required.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Microsoft will buy Nokia before they go Android...

Nokia going with Android? It'd rather go with Symbian then! ;-)