Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    I was one of the people who ended up with a dozen or so scratches in the oleophobic layer on the glass, with no idea how they got there. Well I ended up replacing my phone for another just at the 14 day mark (Lucky me, I qualified for the free ear buds because of this), and my current Lumia 920 has shared a pocket with keys, been dropped on more than one occasion, and I have yet to get a single one of these thin layer scratches.

This makes me wonder if there was just an early batch of these where the oleophobic layer was defective on the gorilla glass.

Has anyone who purchased on in mid December on had any of these scratch issues?

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    The 920 doesn't have an oleophobic layer.
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com (email me vs. PMs in the Forums. I'll see it quicker through email)
    Twitter - @samsabri
    Socl - Sam Sabri

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sabri View Post
    Lipophobic, oleophobic, I don't really care what kind of chemical layer it has. Not really the point of my thread.

^
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sabri View Post
    Are you certain about that? It certainly behaves like it does.

mine is the first aussie bunch and i don't have any problems with scratches on mine...in fact, earlier i had some battery problems but now i think it has improved to a point where i am not too fuss about it (hopefully it remains that way, certainly after a few charge cycles, my device doesn't get as hot as it did last time)

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I am one of those who pampers his phone. Bought the expensive case and still managed to get 7 scratches. They almost seem to be surface like scratches. Purchased it on December 18th. Is Nokia rectifying the situation? I did send them feedback stating how I love the phone, OS and everything else about it. Hopefully they do something to help replace these poor quality screens. There's no way these where GG2. My previous phone had GG without the screen protector and used it for 3 years without the smallest scratch. What do you recommend I do? I'm in Montreal, Canada.

Enjoy life people...

I know this is very improbable, but my theory is the Chinese facility that produces these phones for Nokia sourced cheap power cells and used non-GG screens to save money and now they're being caught.
    Last edited by denzilla; 01-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.

I also have just noticed fine scratches on my 920. Sort of pisses me off. Use Otter box case and still have them. GG ain't so good.

Global Posts
    1,080 Global Posts
    Yea my first one had fine scratches, I've zagged the screen now

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Same deal here. Two or three scratches and had to Zagg the screen. Of the three smartphones that I use my 920 is by far the most scratch prone.

Mine was one of the first batches, as I purchased it the first weekend it came out in November in the US. I baby it and carry it in a soft pouch (as I did with my Samsung Focus). My screen is perfect without a hint of a scratch. I too wonder if Nokia has had some phones with bad glass.
    cameradork likes this.

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    I bought a black 920 on launch day, and exchanged it for a white one a few days later when the black one bricked on me. No scratches at all and I don't use a case or screen protector.

I purchased mine mid November and I baby mine for the most part as well and mine has picked up a fine scratch or two. Very fine and only noticeable when the screen is off.

Mine has one ultra fine scratch which is amazing given the way I've babied the phone. As you say, only noticeable with screen off and holding at a particular angle.

Given the fact that mine also has an area over the speaker/FFC that looks as if it has no finish (i.e. it picks up grease there only), I'd say the phone most definitely has a coating on it.

Perhaps not all phones do - do others have the rectangular area around the speaker on phones that look scratch-able on the screen? (There are threads with pictures here somewhere)
    Purchased mine right before Christmas, few days after i got it i noticed a scratch/fracture when i looked at it a certain way. Since then, i've noticed more. Now, despite the fact of landscaping for a living, I have absolutely babied this phone and put it in 0 situations where it could get scratched so it's good to hear it isn't just me.

Thanks

-Doc
    Actual location: Inside the system itself.

Vaporwaremagpolydilithium- What Surface is actually made of.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    Got mine on launch day, don't have any "protection" on it and my screen is still perfect. On the other hand the red back has enough little scratches and such you'd think I routinely keep nails and bits of glass in my pocket.

I have some scratches too that I have no idea how they could've happened. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    My screen is still flawless despite not having any protection on it but the back of my matte black 920 now has so many
    faded spots like shiny areas where the matte has come off.

I think Nokia could have really differentiated by keeping production in Europe and other countries, as well as keeping a lot of production in-house. It seems that moving manufacturing to China is having its challenges. I would totally believe that some unscrupulous folk at a factory would switch the glass and batteries .. maybe I've seen too many movies ...

i think that most of the hardware problems happen with black 920. the other colors seem to have been made more carefully. did they rush black expecting high demand for that color?
    also in almost all drop/scratch test i see white 920 being used so yea.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Bought my black 920 on launch day (US) and it's had a Speck case on it with no screen protector since day one. Don't know what the back looks like but the screen is absolutely flawless. Keep it in a front pants pocket with no keys or change and, to this day, not the slightest blemish or scratch.

Me too.

I have an original Rogers unlocked batch unit... minor scratches on the screen despite being babied.
    I also have an int'l one that was manufactured around 4 weeks later that is still flawless despite being carried nonchalantly.

I bought a military shield screen protector and it is phenomenal. You can't even see it and honestly I like the feel better than the actual screen.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish54 View Post
    I think Nokia could have really differentiated by keeping production in Europe and other countries, as well as keeping a lot of production in-house. It seems that moving manufacturing to China is having its challenges. I would totally believe that some unscrupulous folk at a factory would switch the glass and batteries .. maybe I've seen too many movies ...
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish54 View Post
    Nokia has had that same China factory since 2001. No production has moved anywhere, they just make under 100 million phones in every 3 months so they have cut manufacturing. Nokia has 9 other factories around the globe. Salo in Finland always only produced small part of the high end phones with the Romanian (last Western cell phone plant) factory that was only up for 2 years only producing mid end phones.

Nokia makes its phones more in-house than example Apple as it actually designs and does put them together on its factories that it owns. There's really only one other manufacturer that does it more in-house and that's Samsung.

Just wanna remind that Nokia still has 120 000 people working for them (50 000 more than Apple) and majority of that work goes to R&D.
    Last edited by tissotti; 01-13-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast