Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    I would like to see that option as well. Many times my friends have wanted to see my phone and play around with it. Hey WP8 is pretty sleek, I don't blame them ;). But in the back of my mind I am concerned abt a text coming through that they might be able to read, even if only a portion of it. iOS has a nice option to either disable the toast or to only have the toast show the name of the sender. That would be a nice feature in wp8.

Global Posts
    1,026 Global Posts
    Some of these fanboys and their replies.....smh

I agree. There have been times when my boyfriend would text me and the phone lit up and shows the message. And if you have nosey friends that can be a bit embarrassing.

Although if you are letting people check out your phone you can do what I do and just set kids corner up so the text don't come thru I don't think.

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Some of you people are getting way too damn picky.

You say it needs a "fix" as if it's a problem. I've never had an issue with this either with my 920 or Focus (which had amazingly awesome viewing angles).

Solution: Don't use your phone, or don't respond while in such company. Simple.

This is a common option on other OS, saying people shouldn't use their phone in public is not a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by fulnix View Post
    Yea...because if you got a call the caller will also pop up on your screen. Keep your phone in your pocket for those "private" conversations.
    When a person appears on screen for an incoming call, that's not the same as showing the content of a message.

If you couldn't stop the first few seconds of a phone call being on loudspeaker that would be the same type of issue; I may be wrong, but I think the original post was more concerned about the message content being shown than who had sent it.

I would agree that it's something which, if configurable people wouldn't have to worry about; isn't the lock screen supposed to keep people from your phone/data? I think showing message previews defeats the point of lock screen in that regard. I'd also agree that you can't customise every setting based on one person not being happy, but given the lean towards privacy (cookies warnings on websites, in-private browsing) this users issue is something I would have thought Microsoft would have provided the option for.

Hopefully constructive discussions will get noticed one day and not just be about people complaining/trolling.

Thanks guys,
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan 71291 View Post
    I just got my 920 Saturday and quickly learned that you can't turn off the text message preview. That is very annoying if you are having a private conversation. So every time I get a text whoever is around me see's who sent it and about the first 5 words. Does anyone know when this will be fixed. Very aggravated.
    You could work your way around the problem by lengthening the sender's name. Personally, I added a long string of emojis. Might seem a bit of a hassle but it's worth it, I feel. I think it might work for numbers/contacts you don't have (like Facebook) too, just in case you're concerned about the security code. Just save their numbers for the first time and it would probably be safe to say that subsequent messages you receive from them will not show any preview. Do correct me if I am wrong. Cheers!
    Last edited by ambivalent; 01-08-2013 at 04:08 AM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    Not sure why some of you are so against choice.. it baffles me. Having the option to turn it on or off is the best of both worlds. Making excuses for Microsoft just cos you wont accept another persons view is no way to improve your beloved platform.

On my BlackBerry 9860 (despite how majority of the world despise BB's nowaday's.. i still love them).. this option is available. Attached is a picture of it within the BeBuzz app. Can't see how the option to enable or disable a feature is so hard to do. I also develop applications at work using sql, vba and .Net so there's nothing complex about it. I for one like the fact that i can choose which apps show a toast or not. It's turned off for texts on my phone but allowed for emails cos texts are quite personal and would hate some random colleague at work seeing contents of a text from personal friends if i happen to leave my phone on the desk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s13_01_08__12_02_52.jpg  
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 01-08-2013 at 08:20 AM.
    HM02 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,190 Global Posts
    Perfect example....Using your phone for GPS in the car with a windshield mount, and the person in the passenger seat gets to read who and what everyone is texting me.

Should be optional.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Stop cheating on your significant other :)
    Thanked by:
    fulnix 

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Visceral Monkey View Post
    I find this feature to be a non-issue once you know it's behavior, but FFS, god forbid it be regarding organizing a surprise party, gift, proposal, or something positive.
    Thanked by:
    tekhna 
    tekhna and bawboh86 like this.

They are working on a notification center. I hope that update will make it so toasts no longer appear above the lock screen.

Typical of many people today, it's not their responsibility to keep things secret. Someone always has to do it for them. Let's see OP, first set your phone to vibrate, then shirt pocket/pants pocket/jacket pocket/belt case. NOW you don't have a to waste a post complaining about something so nonsensical. There, someone ... ME ... has solved your "PROBLEM".

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    As mentioned earlier with the GPS scenario... What if your WIFE is sending you questionable SMS's and are meant for YOUR EYES and not everyone in the car? Regardless of what it is, it is a private message and the option should be there.

Stop cheating on your mistress.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Narr View Post
    This is a common option on other OS, saying people shouldn't use their phone in public is not a solution.
    Unfortunately for the die-hards around here, anything Microsoft deems goes. No notification center, despite many people wanting it? "OMG, WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT?? LIVE TILES." Ignoring the fact that notification centers work, and work well on every other OS, whether it's WebOS, iOS, Android, etc. There seems to be this weird sense that customization is bad, because Android is bad, or something. It's bizarre.
    Thanked by:
    Ushtang2 and HM02 like this.

Global Posts
    1,050 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    I find this feature to be a non-issue once you know it's behavior, but FFS, god forbid it be regarding organizing a surprise party, gift, proposal, or something positive.
    Or work. You know, basic stuff like that.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
    As mentioned earlier with the GPS scenario... What if your WIFE is sending you questionable SMS's and are meant for YOUR EYES and not everyone in the car? Regardless of what it is, it is a private message and the option should be there.
    Not sure if serious or not. Your wife is sending you pictures of her business on a phone and your worried about people seeing it? The weird expectations of privacy some people have these days is astounding and somewhat naive. Here's a thought: Don't send pictures of your genitals to a phone or post them on the internet. And if you do, you should always expect that someone, somewhere will probably see it.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Not sure if serious or not. Your wife is sending you pictures of her business on a phone and your worried about people seeing it? The weird expectations of privacy some people have these days is astounding and somewhat naive. Here's a thought: Don't send pictures of your genitals to a phone or post them on the internet. And if you do, you should always expect that someone, somewhere will probably see it.
    Who said anything about her sending her business? A wife can't send you private information via SMS without it being a picture of herself in a compromising pose?

Seriously man, get a grip.. The point is, people don't want a random private message glowing on their screen and want the ability to make it hidden.

How about "hey honey, the collection agency called again".. That could be embarrassing around a table of friends over drinks no?

Moron.

I don't look at friends' phones, ever.

Global Posts
    407 Global Posts
    I'm back on android now and use a 3rd party sms app called smsgo pro. It has the ability to lock with a pin sms texts from a chosen number or numbers. This works exceptionally well. It would be a nice addition to the os if ms would like to add it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I think MS has bigger fish to fry than hiding your sexting LOL
    uktivo likes this.

I really wish there was an option to turn off text message notification toasts

Quote Originally Posted by fulnix View Post
    I think MS has bigger fish to fry than hiding your sexting LOL
    Like, pleasing its customers. ;]
    Thanked by:
    fulnix 

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    The inconspicuous mode developed (and patented) by Microsoft MAYaddress the concerns of those who are bothered by the lack of privacy. Not sure if the images from the link were direct from Microsoft or just an artist impression mock-up. It remains to be seen how easily this feature can be toggled by user. If they can make use of the power button hold-down option, then I think it will be useful. Currently WP8 only toggle shut down using power hold-down whereas Android offers few others such as flight mode, restart, etc (of course unless this d**n thing is also somehow patented).

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/10/m...de-for-phones/
    Doens't Android have all these so called "choices" "options" look how messy it is...windows has lots of choices, settings also but people also complained that it's over complicated...then people thinks that iOS is soo simple and easy to use...I really don't understand what people want these days....
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast