Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Hey Guys, my Nokia Lumia 920 had been having battery issues, so I figured I'd do a hard reset. Yet, in about 1 hours 15 minutes my battery went from 100% to 91%, and estimated time remaining, from 1 Day 15 hours to 16 hours...I don't understand, I don't want to return it and get another one, because this one is perfect, and I've already waited a month. I love this phone so much, I just want the battery to be acceptable again.. I Would REALLY REALLY appreciate your help, I want to know if downloading WhatsApp, Facebook etc are alright...please beware me of unstable applications.. Thanks you :) thanks a lot!

wp_ss_20130105_0002.png wp_ss_20130105_0003.png
    Last edited by RushilPa; 01-05-2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: wanted to add screenshots

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    Do another hard reset? I've found that hard resets result in differing battery lifetimes
    HTC Droid Incredible --> Apple iPhone 4S --> Nokia Lumia 920 --> BlackBerry Z10 --> HTC One --> iPhone 5

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    Also, what apps were different between the hard resets?
    HTC Droid Incredible --> Apple iPhone 4S --> Nokia Lumia 920 --> BlackBerry Z10 --> HTC One --> iPhone 5

Were you using the phone during that hour?

Also, a funny observation I've had. Phone batteries are always disappointing at first. I think they take a while to peak. My original 920 had terrible battery, when I got home from school I had about 20% left at 4pm from not much use. A few weeks later and it was 50% with more use. My advice is to wait it out. Turn off NFC if you already haven't.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I did turn NFC off :) Before the only apps I allowed in the background were the weather channel app from nokia and Facebook by Microsoft..all others I blocked from running in the background if that's any help.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I used it for a little while, to take about 7 pictures and do a bing search about Nokia 808 PureView...that's kind of it.. lol

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    it lost one percent on mostly standby...I just checked the WP app store for less then 1 minute and closed internet explorer..

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    No apps in new reset, there were many in the pre-reset, but only facebook and weather were running the background, I blocked the others.

I'd say give it a week and a bit, and if your battery still hasn't improved then swap it out. I know the battery calibration thing is an unproven myth but I personally feel like that helped. Can't hurt trying that once anyway

Global Posts
    1,401 Global Posts
    You did a hard reset so the battery calibration resets I think, happened to me and i've reset my 920s multiple times.

The 1 day and 15 hours is a default estimated time for pretty much all the phones i've used when i first use it. It will be that the first couple charges. Then it will adjust, the point is, who cares about the estimated time, it is off in general and is not a good indicator. How long is your phone lasting while you are using it? Is it lasting you like 7 hours and needs a recharge which is not good, or are you able to get through the day without a charge until you go to bed which is good .

Again, ignore the estimated time left and base your performance on how your phone last during the day with your normal usage routine.

From my assumption, you reset your phone because your estimated time was low? and not based on actual usage??

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    You did a hard reset so the battery calibration resets I think, happened to me and i've reset my 920s multiple times.

The 1 day and 15 hours is a default estimated time for pretty much all the phones i've used when i first use it. It will be that the first couple charges. Then it will adjust, the point is, who cares about the estimated time, it is off in general and is not a good indicator. How long is your phone lasting while you are using it? Is it lasting you like 7 hours and needs a recharge which is not good, or are you able to get through the day without a charge until you go to bed which is good .

Again, ignore the estimated time left and base your performance on how your phone last during the day with your normal usage routine.

From my assumption, you reset your phone because your estimated time was low? and not based on actual usage??
    Last night, it was on full charge right before I went to sleep, after I woke up I used it for about 10 minutes, then went to my SAT classes at 9, used it there for 10 minutes max during break, came back at around 12:30, I used the phone on the way back for about 5-7 minutes, including a 1-2 minute video I shot while I car to test the OIS, came back home, used WhatsApp a little, and then I kept it aside, I used my phone to send texts about 7-8 times from 12:30 to about 3:30, after which battery died and I had to put it in charge. Correct me if Im wrong..but I didn't really do THAT much with it, the only apps I ran in the background were facebook and weather, I am so sorry if I'm being stupid, this is the first smartphone I've owned honestly... :/

Global Posts
    1,401 Global Posts
    Go to settings and check email and accounts settings, see if any of your accounts was constantly syncing.. I had that issue where microsoft account would not stop syncing

I've got battery level at 100% and estimated time remaining is 9 hours. Can't be right??

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    WhatsApp is a HUGE battery drain

Global Posts
    1,401 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robmif76 View Post
    I've got battery level at 100% and estimated time remaining is 9 hours. Can't be right??
    ignore estimated time. Its always off
    Thanked by:

Yes, the remaining time is meaningless... I never rely on those numbers... The most impotant is MS must calibrate the battery reading, it just volatile randomly.
    Thanked by:
    RushilPa likes this.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    no...that wasn't happening :)

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    Go to settings and check email and accounts settings, see if any of your accounts was constantly syncing.. I had that issue where microsoft account would not stop syncing
    no..that wasn't happening :)

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    10 percent battery decreased on standby from last night to right now, in the morning. is that normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    WhatsApp is a HUGE battery drain
    +1 on that. I've also noticed that Whatsapp prevents the phone from going into Battery saver mode. Even when you turn on battery saver until next charge, since whatsapp is constantly over riding the system, you will end up getting odd notifications every now and then.

Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RushilPa View Post
    10 percent battery decreased on standby from last night to right now, in the morning. is that normal?
    Do you leave 3G active all the time? This will surely drain the battery even when the phone is sat doing nothing. I leave my phone in Flight mode over night and the battery doesn't drop at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RushilPa View Post
    It could be if you don't have a good cell signal. Put in Airplane mode like Worzel mentioned, download a battery logging app to get a better clue of how your battery is draining and give it a few days of full charge discharge cycles.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    Do you leave 3G active all the time? This will surely drain the battery even when the phone is sat doing nothing. I leave my phone in Flight mode over night and the battery doesn't drop at all.
    No! In fact, keeping that in mind I turned data off in the evening it self, so that the battery would last longer...

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Ok. People need to understand something: Estimated time remaining is an approximation based off of how you've been using your phone recently. If for the past hour you haven't touched your phone, it will probably show something like: 1 day remaining. That's because, according to your latest usage patterns, you're not using your phone heavily. However, if right after you viewed 2 or 3 youtube videos, you'll get an estimated time left of 1hr or something. This is perfectly logical. Estimated remaining times aren't "off" or anything.
    Muessig likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Holy crap man, relax. Deep breaths.

First of all, using 9% of your battery in in an hour and 15 minutes is not at all unusual you were actually using the phone or had a "busy" app running in the background.

Second of all, the "time remaining" on any phone is merely a rough estimate based on a few factors, one of which is how you're using the phone. Ever notice how the real time MPG estimators on cars fluctuate wildly? You accelerate and they drop to 11 mpg, then you coast down hill at highway speeds and they go up to 39 MPG.

Time remaining is just an estimate and often not a good one at that. It doesn't sound like there is anything at all wrong with your phone to me. Just relax and it enjoy the phone buddy.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast