Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Just to add to this, previous posts show the problems I was having before an exchange, I use my phone naked and also with a case but there a hole for the noise cancellation tiny holes, so I do not believe this is the issue I was having, new phone is fine. That's not to say there also other sound related issues that this may be relevant to.

Ok, I see that the phone drop LTE when you make a phone call and goes to the "4G" hspa+ network. So its definitely not an LTE issue. I made 3 call to my landline and two of them got dropped in less than 2 minutes and i noticed the bars dropped to zero as well, then I called AT&T and told them, the lady did some "network things." I havent tested any further.

I am having these issues and it is driving me mad.

If i have my phone on my shoulter (not holding with thanks) people can never hear me.. which is a nightmare cause i may be typing something they are saying and cant talk back.. same thing with people not hearing me.. i can always hear people fine...

This is my 2nd 920 since i left my 1st one in a taxi :'(
    Developer

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Anyone tried to reset your phone ? I tried to reboot several times, but that didn't help. The last chance is to reset it, but that takes time. Especially to set up the phone again as it was before.

....after I installed Portico update 10 days ago people were telling me that they can hear me better than before the update. Then, I hard-reset it (to change my microsoft id) and they continued to hear me better, but in the last couple of days it is the same nightmare again - everyone keeps telling me that they can't understand my "rumbling". The only difference might be that I installed more apps although i don't believe that be the problem. .....
    it might be relevant, it might not - i have a red one
    Last edited by lumia011; 01-14-2013 at 08:21 PM.

....just did a little testing - when on speakerphone it works great regardless how far the phone is from me - 2 inches or 2 feet or 2 meters. However, in a regular phone mode if i move the phone 5 inches from mouth the other side can not hear anything. One thing that is different between speakerphone and regular-phone is role of distance sensor in the upper front right corner - when in speakerphone mode sensor is irrelevant, but if you move the phone few inches from the face, the sensor makes the screen turn on.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I have this issue too. If I am not speaking directly into the mic, the caller cannot hear me. I think its overly aggressive noise cancelling.

...the question is - is this a hardware or OS problem, and should i replace the phone, or wait for a soft update fix?!? Portico said in its official note that it fixed "audio issues".
    It looks to me that if the mic works in speakerphone mode and so-so in the regular mode, this is an OS issue, but if this is an OS issue, why not everyone is having/reporting this problem (or maybe not everyone is aware of it since they are keeping the phone close to mouth most of the time and thus not experiencing the problem all the time, and thus not realizing that something is really wrong with the phone and not with a connection or else...)

HI all, if you see my previous posts on this thread you will see I had these problems with people never being able to hear me, was a real pain. In the end I exchanged my phone. I have had the new phone for over a week now and not a single issue with calls. I can hold the phone normally without thought and everyone hears me crystal clear. I would suggest to anyone having this issue to exchange your phone, it's faulty!
    Developer

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MF73 View Post
    HI all, if you see my previous posts on this thread you will see I had these problems with people never being able to hear me, was a real pain. In the end I exchanged my phone. I have had the new phone for over a week now and not a single issue with calls. I can hold the phone normally without thought and everyone hears me crystal clear. I would suggest to anyone having this issue to exchange your phone, it's faulty!
    Yeah, but I don't think they will exchange my phone after 1 month.
    Developer

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lumia011 View Post
    ....just did a little testing - when on speakerphone it works great regardless how far the phone is from me - 2 inches or 2 feet or 2 meters. However, in a regular phone mode if i move the phone 5 inches from mouth the other side can not hear anything. One thing that is different between speakerphone and regular-phone is role of distance sensor in the upper front right corner - when in speakerphone mode sensor is irrelevant, but if you move the phone few inches from the face, the sensor makes the screen turn on.
    I had the exact same problem, than I reset the phone like Nokia Care told me to do and now the phone is bricked :D

Quote Originally Posted by Skynetz View Post
    Yeah, but I don't think they will exchange my phone after 1 month.
    Mine was exchanged after owning it for 6 weeks...

I have the same issue and it may drive me from the 920 all together. I got my 920 on ebay because i only wanted yellow. I cannot exchange, i could sell and buy another, but afaik all of the yellow 920s are from around the same date, which means most/all of them have the issue. No yellow = no 920 for me. Ill give it another week or so and see if i can get used to it, but i typically only put the earpiece on my head, and angle the phone a little away from me while talking(helps keep the phone a bit cleaner). Im trying to get used to the issue, but IMO a phone shouldnt make me change the way i hold it to work.

I absolutely love my phone at this point, and am really digging wp8, but a phone has to work as a phone before a fun gadget, and its not getting that part done correctly at this time.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Kinalyx View Post
    I have the same issue and it may drive me from the 920 all together. I got my 920 on ebay because i only wanted yellow. I cannot exchange, i could sell and buy another, but afaik all of the yellow 920s are from around the same date, which means most/all of them have the issue. No yellow = no 920 for me. Ill give it another week or so and see if i can get used to it, but i typically only put the earpiece on my head, and angle the phone a little away from me while talking(helps keep the phone a bit cleaner). Im trying to get used to the issue, but IMO a phone shouldnt make me change the way i hold it to work.

I absolutely love my phone at this point, and am really digging wp8, but a phone has to work as a phone before a fun gadget, and its not getting that part done correctly at this time.

Shawn
    Surely you are still covered by the Nokia warranty regardless of where you bought and if it is second hand. I would give them a call and see what they say.
    Developer

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Mine was exchanged after owning it for 6 weeks...
    I assume you are in USA on AT&T ?

Nope in the UK on EE, got the phone through phones4u
    Developer

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    Nope in the UK on EE, got the phone through phones4u
    They exchanged your phone right away or you have sent it to them ad they checked it first, then sent you a replacement ? I just speaked with Nokia Careline again told me my problems and tomorrow in the morning they will call me back and tell me what to do. Maybe I would have to send them the phone.

They exchanged your phone right away or you have sent it to them ad they checked it first, then sent you a replacement ? I just speaked with Nokia Careline again told me my problems and tomorrow in the morning they will call me back and tell me what to do. Maybe I would have to send them the phone.
    I actually exchanged through phones4u, spoke to there tech line and they gave me a code to go instore and exchange there and then. I appriciate it is a ball ache to send back to Nokia and be without it for a week or two, but if you are going to have the phone for the next 18 months to two years, it is worth having one that works huh :-) I've no issues whatsoever with my new one, people hear me crystal clear and I just hold the phone as normal, not stuffed up against my mouth shouting...

The issue seems to be getting worse for me, and its not only when i answer now, I may call nokia tomorrow and see what they can do. I really like my phone, and dont want to go back to android, but if i cant get it to work as a phone at all, i cannot keep it. Almost everyone i talk to, at least at 1 point during the call, tells me i sound like im really far away. Half the time people think i dropped my phone and am still talking to them, or i put it down but forgot to turn speaker on.

Shawn
    Developer

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts
    I've received the phone back a few days ago and now it seems everything is working ok and they exchanged the casing too!:)

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    The problem is horrible. It gets annoying hearing eceryone say, "huh?!" on the other line. I don't want to return the device because of the risk of getting another creaky Lumia.

I'm wondering if it is the official cases covering up the mic a bit too much.
    Last edited by vtective; 02-20-2013 at 01:43 AM.

I had my phone exchanged a few weeks back because nobody could ever hear me, my new phone was fine but over the last week I am having people telling me they cannot hear me again. Can anyone confirm where the microphone is on the phone, coincidentally the problem seems to have started since putting on my official Nokia phone case CC1043.

I dont use a case, but i made a video of it. . call dropped at 8:12.
    At&t is finally changing my phone after calling them 5 times. and making me change the SIM!
    I think its a defective unit or it connects to a tower really far away. I get 5 bars in the same location all the time on all the other phones i have.

I wonder if there is any correlation between the charging plate and this issue?

Everybody, please join and vote to have mic problem fixed:

to solve a problem with the microphone
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast