Hi all,

I've been a silent visitor for a while now doing my research on a switch from iPhone 4 to the 920. That switch has gone ahead now and I'm generally happy with it bar a few niggles which are to be expected in a new OS.

The one thing that I can't get my head around however is the People hub. I would like to keep my phone contacts seperate from my other social media contacts. For example if I need to quickly take down Bob the Builder's number, can this be stored in a phone book or does it have to go into my hotmail contacts? Currently I use my Hotmail account for job related emails. For my social emails I have a seperate Gmail account.

Thanks

Rob

Global Posts
    1,018 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robmif76 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been a silent visitor for a while now doing my research on a switch from iPhone 4 to the 920. That switch has gone ahead now and I'm generally happy with it bar a few niggles which are to be expected in a new OS.

The one thing that I can't get my head around however is the People hub. I would like to keep my phone contacts seperate from my other social media contacts. For example if I need to quickly take down Bob the Builder's number, can this be stored in a phone book or does it have to go into my hotmail contacts? Currently I use my Hotmail account for job related emails. For my social emails I have a seperate Gmail account.

Thanks

Rob
    I don't think there is a phonebook option.

When you add a contact(and you have multiple email accounts), can't you just choose which email to create the contact under?

People is handy just lumps all of your contacts into one place...

But I am not sure there is a way to segregate contacts, you see, windows phone is politically correct =)

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    Yeah, not possible to separate. Glad WP8 is working for you!
    HTC Droid Incredible --> Apple iPhone 4S --> Nokia Lumia 920 --> BlackBerry Z10 --> HTC One --> iPhone 5

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    When u save a contact you will be given a choice as to what account you want to save it in. Also, in the settings menu for the People Hub you can choose to filter out certain accounts so they don't show. That's about the best you can get. I hope that helps.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive:::::. Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3...........Looking forward to going back Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x (iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with).

Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm very unsure about this and will surely need to get used to this functionality as it's a potential deal breaker for me. Problem I see is if I currently have 200+ email-only contacts on my hotmail and I add another 200+ phone number only contacts, the "phone book" will become unneccessarily unwieldy and harder to maintain.
  7. V J

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    There's a group option that lets you group contacts into categories. Although if you've already separated your business and social contacts into different email accounts you won't need to do this. You can simply go into settings and untick which account contacts you don't want shown in your contact list (hidden contacts will still appear in search functions such as when selecting recipients for emails and texts). There is also a separate setting that lets you "only view social updates from people shown in your contact list".

Additionally, by utilizing the groups function, you can have all contacts shown separately into social and business groups and pin each group as a live tile on your home screen making it seem like you have 2 separate phone books. When you click on a pinned group tile, it will only show you contacts that belong to that group.

Global Posts
    2,833 Global Posts
    Personally, I love it this way.

OK so I setup another outlook account which will only hold my phone contacts. I've synced this to the phone and filtered out the other Facebook and Hotmail contacts. It works fine now and I love the way it links my phone contacts to the corresponding contacts on the other accounts. Must say I'm very happy with this functionality now having been brought back from the edges of despair :)

Thanks for all the suggestions.