Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
Like Tree22Likes
  1. fantom555's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have the Nokia 920 in red and it's very nice I can't decide weather to keep it or not I have a love hate relationship with it now. I have the iPhone 5 and it's just so easy to use and simple and the apps are just simple. I bought the windows phone because of the office integration for email but other then that I am not sure now. I have been reading about the new bb10 and it may be a winner it remains to be seen. I am so confused on what I should do.

    The reason I bought the windows phone is because I had a line on AT&T that I was not using and thought this phone would be great addition. Anyway just thought I would share a thought


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. jdhooghe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    504 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    #2  
    If you don't like it, take it back. Simple. Just don't post a "I'm leaving" thread
    HTC Droid Incredible --> Apple iPhone 4S --> Nokia Lumia 920 --> BlackBerry Z10 --> HTC One --> iPhone 5
  3. spaulagain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    839 Posts
    #3  
    What thought did you share? Seems like a pointless troll post.

    I've used iPhone many times and I don't find it any easier to use than WP. In fact, on some things iOS is harder like social networking, etc. But I won't get into the specifics because you obviously don't have any.

    This thread = pointless
  4. treble3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #4  
    You are not alone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
  5. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,381 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,391 Global Posts
    #5  
    Troll troll troll your boat......
    cameradork likes this.
  6. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #6  
    Thanked by:
    BIGPADDY likes this.
  7. halimaw96's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #7  
    Let the man ask the question, many of us were undecided as well and wanted some opinions.

    You want my opinion? Just return it. First of all, you already have a smartphone and you don't need another one unless you're using it for enterprise or something. WP8 is great, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I for one, regret my decision and wish I'd gotten more input when I was deciding. Kinda wish I'd gone with Android. The software still needs to be tweaked, as there a lot of issues that many users seem to be experiencing. However, you should've known this coming into it since it's a new OS release. I'm sure the app development will come so that's not an issue you should worry about. W8 has a large amount of users, and porting an app over to WP8 is now easy with the new kernel and all.

    On the other hand, you can keep it if you'd like to track WP8's progress this year. The OS IMO has some catching up to do, but if Microsoft keeps to their word and actually releases updates w/o carrier interference, then it should vastly improve. I'm keeping my 920 even though I plan on purchasing a Nexus 4 because I have some hope that Microsoft will iron out the kinks as more and more updates come. I'm sure that WP8 will eventually get some traction (In the states, I mean; globally it's performed very well.) and become very successful.

    Good luck, hope I helped.
    Andi_N and robmif76 like this.
  8. neftv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    #8  
    You dont think applications on Windows Phone are easy? Name a few.
    Like I said in another thread I talked with my cousin who is a diehard Apple person and told him I have a 920 and he said that that I dont have enough apps. So I challenged him to compare apps he uses every day. We went through 12 of them and I could find 10 of the same app on the windows side and the 2 that I could find was probably because I was not looking for the right name or Author to find a simulair app. He was impress with that outcome. I just curious though what apps dont you think are easy exactly? Just asking to learn.
  9. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    #9  
    It all comes down to apps. WP is missing many apps or just higher quality apps. IOS is established and refined. WP is a great alternative but its still young in comparison. But it all comes down to just apps and ios>WP. So if thats what's bugging you then I would suggest you go back to the iPhone. The apps are coming to WP slowly and it doesn't look like any google app will be coming. As for office, I believe MS is already working on full versions for IOS and they have wordament now. So in due time any MS app you would want on WP will end up on IOS.
    I've been on the verge of going to android many times since switching from IOS to WP because of poor quality phones (lumia920) and the lack of apps or quality alternative apps to what I've been using on ios but I'm trying to hold on because I like live tiles (when they work) and wp8. So pay no attention to the morons above calling you a troll. Choose what makes more sense for you, a well established ecosystem with a billion apps or a slowly growing young ecosystem that has great potential. I wish you luck with your choice .
    Ushtang2 likes this.
  10. slashd0t's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #10  
    As soon as I can get my hands on a Nexus 4, I'm moving too.. You're not alone here..
  11. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    It all comes down to apps. WP is missing many apps or just higher quality apps. IOS is established and refined. WP is a great alternative but its still young in comparison. But it all comes down to just apps and ios>WP. So if thats what's bugging you then I would suggest you go back to the iPhone. The apps are coming to WP slowly and it doesn't look like any google app will be coming. As for office, I believe MS is already working on full versions for IOS and they have wordament now. So in due time any MS app you would want on WP will end up on IOS.
    I've been on the verge of going to android many times since switching from IOS to WP because of poor quality phones (lumia920) and the lack of apps or quality alternative apps to what I've been using on ios but I'm trying to hold on because I like live tiles (when they work) and wp8. So pay no attention to the morons above calling you a troll. Choose what makes more sense for you, a well established ecosystem with a billion apps or a slowly growing young ecosystem that has great potential. I wish you luck with your choice .
    Apps that's all its about? What about this?

    -Windows Phone security this is a very secure OS with much backing from Microsoft to keep it that way.
    -Single button to take a picture-genius
    -Live Tiles-Love me some live tiles
    -Bing search with integrated music search and text translation. How convenient one button to find out what that song is. One button to get that text translated from Spanish to English. I live in Texas I use this more than what you would think. You can even get those barcodes and tags read using Bing just under the magnifying glass.
    -Photo hub with photo categories including by date, favorites, and people. "What are you kidding me you can see peoples photos in your photo hub?" Sure can just chose a contact and all there on line albums are listed for you to view. How simple is that?!
    -People hub just pick a person in the hub and you can see everything about them like what's new with them, their photos and history. History what is that well that's all the calls text what ever interaction you have had with that person. Its all there-The new lock screen in WP8 deserves mention. I have the current temperature and conditions next appointment, missed email/messaging counts and digital readout of current battery level. All this with a background picture that changes every hour so I am always greeted by a new background.
    -I have Bluetooth and WIFI on all the time with WIFI connected even with the screen off. I have battery level live tile on my start screen. It is great that the little signal battery icons at the top of the start screen disappear after a few seconds I don't need to looking at those all the time.
    -Voice commands through Tell Me. Hands down my most used feature in WP8. I have a Bluetooth on at all times I do all my texting using voice. I even use the text to speech app to write posts for this forum.
    -Visual Voicemail-This a well integrated feature basic and simple
    -Text reject for phone calls. I am glad this has been added to the OS.
    -XBOX integration- I play a lot of XBOX its nice to be able to check who is on line before turning on my XBOX
    -XBOX music I have and get every bit of my music needs taken care of with XBOX Music. Even across the 3 screens. Was playing music on my home system with my XBOX during my Christmas party just last week.
    -One Note I have to have one note
    -Skydrive WOW what about that Skydrive and how it is integrated into the OS. I took some pictures of a machine I was taking apart one time. I was using my Arrive back then. I always have pictures set to upload automatically. Long story short I broke no destroyed my Arrive if those pictures hadn't been auto uploaded to Skydrive I would have been in trouble.
    -Office integration I do a lot of work from my device I use office every day
    -Outlook email integration with contacts, calendar, tasks, and email is top notch

    Apps and hardware you say. Let's put the 920 and i5 side by side for the hardware check now.

    iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S3 vs. Lumia 920: spec by spec rundown - TechSpot
    Thanked by:
    Klevis and steeleblue like this.
  12. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    #12  
    You listed some good things but the software makes the platform. IOS has a larger app catalog with higher quality apps. That's what's holding back WP. That's the number one complaint among new users. Specs mean nothing. All phones basically have the same specs and phones with quad cores or 2 gigs of ram are over kill. Nothing will use that power for years. Its apps that make the platform.
  13. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    You listed some good things but the software makes the platform. IOS has a larger app catalog with higher quality apps. That's what's holding back WP. That's the number one complaint among new users. Specs mean nothing. All phones basically have the same specs and phones with quad cores or 2 gigs of ram are over kill. Nothing will use that power for years. Its apps that make the platform.
    For you that's great if that's all you need. For me WP offers way more than any other OS with just what's in the box. Apps will come to WP in time the gap is already getting smaller. The things that set WP apart will never come to the other OS's.

    What's right for you or the OP might not be right for me that's okay. If the i5 is what you want we have a nation for that its all good. I just want to offer to the OP some facts missing from this thread. Better to make this decision with the facts in hand.
    Thanked by:
    BIGPADDY, Klevis and steeleblue like this.
  14. travisel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #14  
    I'm a Windows guy and I love my new Samsung ATIV S WP8 😎

    I say to people all the time "stay in your own eco!" I have a Microsoft eco system Office PC, PC, Xbox360, WP8 and soon ATIV Smart PC, All work together very well.
    Now if you have a Mac, iPad, iPhone a full Apple eco system why add a Android or windows too the mix?
    Same with Goggle Android Phone & Tablet eco system, why add Apple & Windows to it?
    Why can't people pick a friendly eco system and stay in it and be happy? Why have a mix non-eco friendly system and be mad about it?
    It's all about the friendly eco system! 😎
    ATIV S is LIFE
  15. halimaw96's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    Apps that's all its about? What about this?

    -Windows Phone security this is a very secure OS with much backing from Microsoft to keep it that way.
    -Single button to take a picture-genius
    -Live Tiles-Love me some live tiles
    -Bing search with integrated music search and text translation. How convenient one button to find out what that song is. One button to get that text translated from Spanish to English. I live in Texas I use this more than what you would think. You can even get those barcodes and tags read using Bing just under the magnifying glass.
    -Photo hub with photo categories including by date, favorites, and people. "What are you kidding me you can see peoples photos in your photo hub?" Sure can just chose a contact and all there on line albums are listed for you to view. How simple is that?!
    -People hub just pick a person in the hub and you can see everything about them like what's new with them, their photos and history. History what is that well that's all the calls text what ever interaction you have had with that person. Its all there-The new lock screen in WP8 deserves mention. I have the current temperature and conditions next appointment, missed email/messaging counts and digital readout of current battery level. All this with a background picture that changes every hour so I am always greeted by a new background.
    -I have Bluetooth and WIFI on all the time with WIFI connected even with the screen off. I have battery level live tile on my start screen. It is great that the little signal battery icons at the top of the start screen disappear after a few seconds I don't need to looking at those all the time.
    -Voice commands through Tell Me. Hands down my most used feature in WP8. I have a Bluetooth on at all times I do all my texting using voice. I even use the text to speech app to write posts for this forum.
    -Visual Voicemail-This a well integrated feature basic and simple
    -Text reject for phone calls. I am glad this has been added to the OS.
    -XBOX integration- I play a lot of XBOX its nice to be able to check who is on line before turning on my XBOX
    -XBOX music I have and get every bit of my music needs taken care of with XBOX Music. Even across the 3 screens. Was playing music on my home system with my XBOX during my Christmas party just last week.
    -One Note I have to have one note
    -Skydrive WOW what about that Skydrive and how it is integrated into the OS. I took some pictures of a machine I was taking apart one time. I was using my Arrive back then. I always have pictures set to upload automatically. Long story short I broke no destroyed my Arrive if those pictures hadn't been auto uploaded to Skydrive I would have been in trouble.
    -Office integration I do a lot of work from my device I use office every day
    -Outlook email integration with contacts, calendar, tasks, and email is top notch

    Apps and hardware you say. Let's put the 920 and i5 side by side for the hardware check now.

    iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S3 vs. Lumia 920: spec by spec rundown - TechSpot
    Meh. If you view the three OS's very objectively you'll find that some of these don't really matter.

    1. Camera app on iOS and Android are easily and quickly accessed through the lockscreen.
    2. All of Bing search's functions have easy alternatives on both Android and iOS.
    3. Android's almost toe to toe with WP8 on lockscreen functions. How can you even make the battery tile a big deal? You can see that on Android and iOS as well from the lockscreen.
    4. Tell Me is kind of like Siri. There's also Android alternatives.
    5. Don't get me started on live tiles. It's most likely because the apps I have aren't WP8 optimized yet, but live tiles can really take a chunk from your battery life. Especially post-Portico. Your results may vary. Great feature, but what's the point of having a good feature that you have to turn off so you have enough battery life to last the day?
    6.Skydrive alternatives: iCloud and Google Drive.

    I'm not trying to bash WP8, I'm just saying that a lot of the features you mentioned aren't just unique to it. It's all a matter of which one you like more.
  16. jdhooghe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    504 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    #16  
    Look. We ultimately can't help you. If you want a "simple" phone, use iOS. It is what YOU want. My first iphone was a 4s. I got it after a droid incredible. The incredible was cool but just like WP, the app store wasn't impressive. Plus, it had crap battery life. I loved my 4S and I was drinking the cool-aid thinking android was terrible and such. I will not tell you iOS was not a great OS, it is and it has a lot of features that it took many years just to get. But it is simple. Boring(to ME). The apps...well, there are a lot of cool apps but not many I really used consistently. I decided for a change when I saw the lumia 900. I got the phone and everything was really cool but I got scared. I didn't like it because IT WAS DIFFERENT. I also thought that the app store was crap with a lot of launchers made from people with asian character names. I ended up taking it back and getting another 4S(I moved from Verizon to AT&T). I did that because while the screen was not great compared to the 4S and because I was scared of change. I have a macbook air, I use an airport extreme and I used many ipods. Everything just works. I love my macbook but I am getting fed up with the 3 hour battery life of it thanks to mountain lion and the PC side doesn't have laptops of the same build quality as apple. I love OSX but I also love windows 8, but I won't get into that.

    The point is: remember why you chose to get the 920 in the first place and your reasons. Look at your app usage and if it matches mostly with what WP8 can offer. If not and it is not something you can give up, by all means take back the 920. If you want to go back to "simplicity," or what it is actually happening: you're scare of change, then do so. No one is holding you back and we cannot change what YOU want. This is why people thought or think you are a troll. They don't see a point in this post because the choice is ultimately up to yourself. You've heard all of the arguments. You know all that the 920 can offer by the initial research into the phone that you did before you got it and by browsing these forums. It is up to you. Not us.
  17. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    For you that's great if that's all you need. For me WP offers way more than any other OS with just what's in the box. Apps will come to WP in time the gap is already getting smaller. The things that set WP apart will never come to the other OS's.

    What's right for you or the OP might not be right for me that's okay. If the i5 is what you want we have a nation for that its all good. I just want to offer to the OP some facts missing from this thread. Better to make this decision with the facts in hand.
    I agree that its different for everyone but like I said earlier the #1 complaint about winphone8 is the lack of apps or the lack of high quality alternatives. That's the general complaint. Also my original comment was for the op not you or anyone else.

    IOS is a good mobile os and if you jailbreak your phone you can make it the best os for yourself. That's what I did and thejailbreak community is amazing. If apple used just the most popular mods/tweaks people have made then IOS would ultimately be complete.
    Thanked by:
    akroy 
  18. gomezl7's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #18  
    i just pick up a nokia 920...because i heard it was a great phone...Been using the Nexus devices the last 2 years...So I gave it a try...

    Let me tell you ...i can't put it down...this is coming from someone who rocked Android for 2 years plus...CM10, Parandroid.xylon, aosp, aokp...android revolution....the works..

    This phone is the real deal...honestly miss some apps...have managed to work around that...have been using as my daily driver for the past month...sweet device...really like recommed it to anyone...THe camera...OMGOSH...insane...im out..
  19. david90531's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    862 Posts
    #19  
    Hesitated about Android but as glad as I can be to have stayed with WP this time. Loving my L920, no complaints.
  20. jdom's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    132 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
    As soon as I can get my hands on a Nexus 4, I'm moving too.. You're not alone here..
    bon voyage
  21. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    #21  
    I wish every troll post like this got deleted by the mods. I want this forum to be constructive criticism by people who actually intend to keep a Windows Phone. I have a Lumia 900 and the reason I'm happy with it is controlled expectations. I don't expect it to do everything an iPhone can do, and that's ok for me.
  22. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    You listed some good things but the software makes the platform. IOS has a larger app catalog with higher quality apps. That's what's holding back WP. That's the number one complaint among new users. Specs mean nothing. All phones basically have the same specs and phones with quad cores or 2 gigs of ram are over kill. Nothing will use that power for years. Its apps that make the platform.
    If specs mean nothing why does Apple tout their latest Ax processor, retina display, super-light & thin IF it's just about the apps? The reason the iPhone is such a smash is the total package of industrial design, high-end processor, high resolution display and large app catalog.
  23. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    If specs mean nothing why does Apple tout their latest Ax processor, retina display, super-light & thin IF it's just about the apps? The reason the iPhone is such a smash is the total package of industrial design, high-end processor, high resolution display and large app catalog.
    Since when is QHD high resolution? All of the current WP8 flagships either match its pixel density (Ativ S-with almost an inch larger screen) or beat it, and all with significantly larger screens. I'm not in the "larger is better" camp. I actually think 4-4.3" is the sweet spot for usability, although larger screens can be nice for games and media. Don't get me wrong; QHD is great for smaller screens, and as sharp as an iphone-sized screen needs to be, but it's not high-end. Not when 720p screens are about to be eclipsed by 1080p. Retina is a buzzword, just like every other "spec" Apple touts, and the actual spec behind the buzzword is beaten by the competition in virtually every category. They sell devices on hype, and nothing else. And the hype is starting to wear down...
    Thanked by:
    jdhooghe and Andi_N like this.
  24. Zolotoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    218 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    You listed some good things but the software makes the platform. IOS has a larger app catalog with higher quality apps. That's what's holding back WP. That's the number one complaint among new users. Specs mean nothing. All phones basically have the same specs and phones with quad cores or 2 gigs of ram are over kill. Nothing will use that power for years. Its apps that make the platform.
    Pardon me for jumping in. Yes, OS makes all the difference, but not apps. What's important for you, is nothing to me. Like a radio in the car. Some people care, some can't care less. Engine is what important for everyone. Or at least, should be. I can always get an apps that is not working on the phone to run on my computer, but I cannot use my laptop to make a call. Well possible, but you get my point.
  25. Dzyen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #25  
    At the end of the day, it's all about personal preference. No matter how sound any of the arguments above may be, you have to remember that these are all personal opinions that resonate more/less with each individual. Hardware/Software will only mean something to you if you want it to. Sure, one phone may be better than another on paper, or maybe even in person, but if you don't like it, whats the point of spending your hard earned money?

    Instead of forcing yourself to use a device, find a device which you're happy with and suits your needs. That means the device both physically and software-wise (OS, UI, Apps, Etc.) The WP line will never be like the Apple line, nor the Android, or any other (Ubuntu?) you can think of, unless some epic freaking fusions take place between said companies.

    I like the WP line because of the user experience as a whole, not because people tell me that the Lumia is the the best phone on the market and the camera is a gajillion times better than an iPhone. That's why I chose this phone, not to mention how beautiful the damn thing looks. My parents hate all high end phones, thinking they are a waste of money, and prefer to stick with cheaper, "outdated" phones like the Lumia 710 or the first Samsung Galaxy. They're right in their own opinion, and i'm right in mine. It's pointless to argue at that point!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM
  2. I can't decide whether I want a Lumia 920 or a Surface Tablet
    By magictriangle in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 01:36 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 08:15 PM
  4. Who can I talk to if I want to change my username?
    By joshuafox@yourgadgetguy.com in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-23-2011, 05:25 PM
  5. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

B