Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I'm pretty sure some people may have battery drain issues with apps that others don't, for example, all the apps people say are draining their battery isn't draining my battery. First app that affected my battery life was locksider, battery was lasting about half a day with light usage uninstalled and back to normal, then a couple of days ago I installed weatherflow and battery was lasting about half a day with light usage, uninstalled and back to normal. I think this is still an issue with how the right combo of things causes apps to continue to run or update or whatever. I think the best thing ALL WP8 users can do is (if its not already) enable the FEEDBACK option under settings. Quit being creepy, it doesn't track you and you wont need a tinfoil hat. In the last 7 days I have sent 1.57MB of ANONYMOUS info to Microsoft, if you don't enable that feedback how is Microsoft going to know why your phone is not up to par?

Quote Originally Posted by Mad MilkMan View Post
    I'm pretty sure some people may have battery drain issues with apps that others don't, for example, all the apps people say are draining their battery isn't draining my battery. First app that affected my battery life was locksider, battery was lasting about half a day with light usage uninstalled and back to normal, then a couple of days ago I installed weatherflow and battery was lasting about half a day with light usage, uninstalled and back to normal. I think this is still an issue with how the right combo of things causes apps to continue to run or update or whatever. I think the best thing ALL WP8 users can do is (if its not already) enable the FEEDBACK option under settings. Quit being creepy, it doesn't track you and you wont need a tinfoil hat. In the last 7 days I have sent 1.57MB of ANONYMOUS info to Microsoft, if you don't enable that feedback how is Microsoft going to know why your phone is not up to par?
    While I agree in principle, how do we know that reports process usage and battery usage that would help?

The only thing I have seen that I know it reports is button presses on the keyboard as they use this data to improve the typing quality.

Glad you solved your problem, but 1.5%/h is not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JMBasquiat View Post
    Glad you solved your problem, but 1.5%/h is not bad at all.
    It isn't, but the Nokia Drive bug looks atrocious.. run the app, go back to the menu and press the power button. Then loose 20% in an hour and have a hot phone.

How does this stuff leave the developers?

(I think it's a really neat app other than that!)

Quote Originally Posted by realwarder View Post
    And... I believe if my experiment holds out and reproduces exactly, reinstalling Nokia Music now from the store will likely show 0 usage. So either the store version is different with this bug fixed, or a second install fixes something broken during the initial device setup.
    Guess what, Nokia has already addressed those issues, many days or weeks ago. Updated versions of Nokia Music and Nokia Drive have been available in the store for some time. Why just not update those? If your computers hard drive crashes and you have month old backup you can't restore last weeks data from there you know... Oh and your analysis does not tell us which versions you have on those apps, you really should include that info too.

Quote Originally Posted by loukkis View Post
    Guess what, Nokia has already addressed those issues, many days or weeks ago. Updated versions of Nokia Music and Nokia Drive have been available in the store for some time. Why just not update those? If your computers hard drive crashes and you have month old backup you can't restore last weeks data from there you know... Oh and your analysis does not tell us which versions you have on those apps, you really should include that info too.
    Please can you tell me where the version number for apps are shown. I don't see it in the Nokia Music app, but maybe there is a list of apps and versions somewhere like every other OS?

Nokia Drive was the latest installed from the store. And when I reinstall Nokia Music, it is the latest from the store. From boot, it was the pre-installed version.

So far (after reinstalling Nokia Music) it looks like the Nokia Music bug only occurs before you run it. I.e. install but don't run. Once the store version is run, it no longer uses up the battery.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I've got Nokia music and drive installed, but they've not been launched since the last reboot of my phone.

Checked my battery usage for the day and for an hour or so it stayed on 100% (it was being used - playing music) then it bombed around 6-7% per hour on average in standby and about 30% when being used for no more than 20 minutes.

I'm going to drain the battery and charge it 100% and leave it over night, see what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by realwarder View Post
    Please can you tell me where the version number for apps are shown. I don't see it in the Nokia Music app, but maybe there is a list of apps and versions somewhere like every other OS?
    You can open the Music app, go to settings -> about, in Drive you can find it in about section. My Nokia Music is version 3.6.99.508 and Drive is 2.1.0.1451

Well I had the same issues you guys been having. After reading endless threads about this problem. I did 3 things.
    1-full recharge + 2 hours
    2-Uninstalled Nokia Music and turned "My Location" (GPS) off
    3-Soft reset
    This was last evening. Since then I've been using my home Wi-Fi only.
    Voila!!

wp_ss_20130104_0001.png

Gotta add that i also havent been using bluetooth,nfc,live tiles etc. Only 3 email accounts. Two of them checking email every 2 hours and the other automatically as they come.Also used Whatsapp,Facebook using the "me" tile and Xbox Live.
    I'll report tomorrow or the day after with LTE on instead of wi-fi

edited to add: i'm starting to think it has something to do with the gps and all the apps that ask for your location. That constant struggle of finding the phone seems like a huge battery drainer.
    Last edited by Rodetri; 01-04-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loukkis View Post
    You can open the Music app, go to settings -> about, in Drive you can find it in about section. My Nokia Music is version 3.6.99.508 and Drive is 2.1.0.1451
    Was using 3.6.99.508 Music from the store.

Going to stop this now anyway... continue to try and enjoy the phone. I only started looking into this because my iPhone never used to drain and yet the new 920 did and does big time - it could have been a hardware fault. Clearly it's simply software issues, so over time I'd hope Microsoft/App writers iron these wrinkles out. And given the number of people complaining and how easy it is to drain the battery, hopefully they can fix things quicker rather than later.

You are right. I read this at about 10am this morning and had about 95% battery left, now it is 3 hours later and I've only dropped 2% compared to the 5% I normally would have lost in that time. Hope they fix it because I like Nokia music's offline music.

I've also notices the music and video app destroying my battery while watching a movie. At the gym I entered airplane mode, had screen at high brightness, drained 25% of the battery in about 25 minutes. 1% a minute while in airplane mode and watching a movie doesn't even let you get through a whole movie while on a flight...big time disappointment.

I uninstalled Nokia Music and was surprised that the phone actually lasted throughout the day, 60% left after 12 hours (10 standby and 2 of very heavy usage while on the train).
    Charging the phone overnight to see how much it drains till the morning.

Anyone else notice that the time is inaccurate on the postings?

I am still at 93% an hour later, and now my battery says 10 days left, which although is prob inaccurate, is more than the 1 day it had been showing around this time of day all week. Haven't changed usage at all and have only uninstalled nokia music.

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    Nokia music uses GPS too for local gigs. I wonder since this app doesn't close supposedly that it keeps pinging the gps?

I had my gps turned off and was still losing battery. I think the problem is that it is always running, whether you exit the program or not. To see...Start playing an offline music list. Then back out till you get to the start screen and make sure that nokia music is "closed" and that no music is playing. Then click the volume up or down, and you will still see that the music is ready to go again and you just need to unpause it. No way to actually close the program. This has to be updated to fix some of the battery issues.

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    Do the "stop the music" apps actually close the app?

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    So, to add to the discussion, I tested this with Slacker last night. Played a few songs over my bluetooth speaker, then stopped Slacker and left it in the background. My battery was draining alarmingly fast, like nearly 10%/hour. I finally closed out of Slacker completely. The battery kept draining. Turned off bluetooth and it still drained at the same rate. I did NOT reboot the phone (because I knew that would resolve it). I put the phone on the charger. This morning, I got up, checked that it was at 100%, then took it off the charger and left it on the table when I went to work (I took another phone). When I got home today, it was at 55%. This is just with a wifi connection and nothing running after a full charge.

This tells me that it's not JUST Nokia Music, but perhaps any music app that may utilize the music hub framework. I suspect it's the music hub framework itself that's the issue. I have not test Xbox music yet. That's next. I strongly suspect that if I reboot my phone and use no music apps, my battery life will be great again. This is sad, though, because I shouldn't have to A) reboot my phone once/day or B) Stop using it for music.

Pretty disappointed overall and I'm wondering if other Windows phones have this issue, or if it's just the 920.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    Do the "stop the music" apps actually close the app?
    I'm curious about this as well.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    Nokia music uses GPS too for local gigs. I wonder since this app doesn't close supposedly that it keeps pinging the gps?
    If it does, it isn't showing the GPS icon.

I uninstalled Nokia Music and already had Drive uninstalled and restarted my phone this morning. I'm still experience draining issues. That's not my problem. I still think it's a radio issue at least for me.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I may have screwed up a bit last night as I did the full charge after letting it run flat but didn't leave it for +2 hours. Oh well, this is what I found this morning.

I only have 7 hours of data but it's interesting. The phone stayed at 100% for 5 hours but then started to drop quickly after, 6% in two hours. No real idea why - 2 emails accounts on, 1 that downloads when received and the other checks every half an hour. Had 5 emails this morning, a few from both accounts. I also noticed that the GPS icon was on. I don't know how long it was on for but it turned off shortly after I unlocked the phone. I've uninstalled the met office app as that's the only thing I can think that would be using location services. Nokia Music and Drive are installed but have not been used since turning the phone back on remember.

Something else to consider - maybe the battery monitor and in turn the MyBattery app are just bad at monitoring the battery life? a 6 or 7% drop in battery life over 7 hours is good when you consider it's checking one email server at least every half an hour, downloading from another when a message is received and has a few background tasks running including BBC News (although I may block that anyway seen as I use the small tile and it doesn't update), Facebook and the Met Office. So is the problem more the monitor isn't reporting the drop correctly? I have no problem with a drop in % an hour on standby as that will give me 100 hours of use. It's when it seems to drop suddenly 3% an hour for no reason that is the worry.

Thoughts?

Mine l920 has dropped 14% while i was sleeping 6hrs. Nothing running no new emails or toast notifications. And the phone was rebooted yesterday and music hasn't been used.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I think I'm just going to leave it and not worry. It works out about the same sort of charge time as my iPhone 4 thinking about it. As mentioned though I used to get a full weekend with the iPhone and this weekend will be the first real time I get to see how it behaves. I think if I get the same amount of time as my iPhone I'll be happy, it's just when I'll be using it a lot such as on holiday or when I'm covering conventions for my website (so lots of photos, tweets etc) I'll have to worry.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    So, I finally caved in and restarted the phone. I did not run any of the music programs. Left if off the charger and after 5 hours and 15 minutes, it is still at 100%.

In summary:

1. Using ANY music player (Nokia Music, Xbox, Slacker) starts a battery drain that cannot be stopped with anything short of a restart.
    2. The "Stop the Music" app does not stop the battery drain.
    3. If I do not use any music apps, my battery life is amazing all day and will stay that way for days until I use a music app again.

Some process is starting in the background and running away with battery life when a music app is used. I would love to know what it is and I would love even more to know if this happens on the HTC 8x or other Lumias, though the 920 is the only Windows Phone I really want.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast