Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dave Blake
    Banned

Is anyone else disappointed with the speaker placement? I can't play games in a landscape mode because my hands cover the speakers while my HTC phone works fine as speakers are on the back.

Same with headphone jack, Contre game requires headphones but holding phone is awkward when it's plugged in (although that's a flaw of all the current phones)

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiiiiiiiii View Post
    Is anyone else disappointed with the speaker placement? I can't play games in a landscape mode because my hands cover the speakers while my HTC phone works fine as speakers are on the back.

Same with headphone jack, Contre game requires headphones but holding phone is awkward when it's plugged in (although that's a flaw of all the current phones)
    Design tradeoffs for limited space. While you might have issues with the bottom placement of the speakers for games, others like myself who use it for other purposes like it better there (not that your wrong, just that you have different usage patterns). For example with a speakerphone call, having the speaker on the bottom means the sound does not get muted if I place the phone back side down on a table or am cupping the back of the phone holding it upright. Not everyone is going to be happy, but there's only so much physical room in a cell phone, hence the choices available to consumers. I also find the bottom speaker placement better for watching movies and such quietly in bed, as it's at least hearable at low volumes instead of projecting the sound away from me. Just depends on your usage. If games that require two hands on both ends to control (covering the speaker) are your prime consideration, then maybe the phone is not for you, but that does not make the placement incorrect for everyone's usage.

As to the jack placement, best you an do is get a 90 deg coupling on a wired headset for better hand comfort (not perfect, but better than an inch of wire poking into your hand, or better yet use a Bluetooth headset/speaker.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    I wouldn't call it a design flaw. I like the speaker placed on the bottom verses the back. When the speaker is on the back you have to turn the device over with the screen away from you to get the best sound. The way the 920 is designed I can look at the screen and still get the best sound.
    aximtreo and Muessig like this.

Global Posts
    2,293 Global Posts
    As mentioned, it depends what you do. No matter where it is, it can be seen as design flaw. I personally don't play games, so I don't share your problem. However my phone is always screen up when not in my pockets and on softer surfaces I've had similar placement lead to basically a silenced phone when the speakers are put on the back of the phone.

Also my old phone that had a speaker on the back meant that if I wanted to listen to music or phonecall or whatever through speakers, I would have to put the phone screen down and I don't like doing that, cos table/etc could have particles that could scratch my screen accidently! :D

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    i dont understand why hiiiiiiiii still has a lumia 920. i went back and looked at his thread remarks or the ones he started and most of them have some kind of complaint or dis-satisfactory about his Nokia lumia 920. why have a device you are clearly not happy with? i don't know. i know i wouldn't.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    You need to be creative in the way you hold your phone. I personally take yoga for fingers. That way I can manipulate my fingers in such a manner that my ears are able to receive sound vibrations coming from the speakers and I am more than satisfied with my efforts in finding a solution to a somewhat annoying but not a debilitating sound problem while trying to play a game or games on my Nokia Lumia 920
    Last edited by jlynnm350z; 01-01-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlynnm350z View Post
    You need to be creative in the way you hold your phone. I personally take yoga for fingers. That way I can manipulate my fingers in such a manner that my ears are able to receive sound vibrations coming from the speakers and I am more than satisfied with my efforts in finding a solution to a somewhat annoying but not a debilitating sound problem while trying to play a game or games on my Nokia Lumia 922
    lol. "you're not holding it right"

Quote Originally Posted by tebugg View Post
    lol. "you're not holding it right"
    Lol remind me of when Apple tell Iphone users about the ant issue haha

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I also just experienced it today. I started playing a game in landscape mode and my hands repeatedly covered the speaker, But, I never even thought of it as an issue or something. It is just something to be aware of and thats it. Now I place my fingers a bit to the left/right and its fine.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tebugg View Post
    i dont understand why hiiiiiiiii still has a lumia 920. i went back and looked at his thread remarks or the ones he started and most of them have some kind of complaint or dis-satisfactory about his Nokia lumia 920. why have a device you are clearly not happy with? i don't know. i know i wouldn't.
    Maybe because I actually use a phone? And when you use it, you notice things.

There is no better WP8 alternative but that does not make 920 perfect

fine with me, especially i use more for portrait surfing and with speaker music. Speaker facing me actually let the music come to me instead of echo from other direction. See, if it is on other side I would say is a flaw? Well just depends your preference.
    Developer

Global Posts
    4,119 Global Posts
    It can't be a design flaw... If it was, the iPhone wouldn't have the speakers there too. And everyone knows that the iPhone is "perfect".
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8)
    Meme 8 Ball (WP8)