Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Nabkawe5
  • 1 Post By Nabkawe5
  • 1 Post By George Ponder

Question to all Lumia 920 owners: When pictures are taken at all resolutions they are usually stored at 400KB files. My old blackberry saves photos as 1.5 MB files whereas the iPhone saves photos as 2 MB. Does anybody except me think this is suspicious? Even with the new HDR camera app the pics are stored as roughly 400KB . You really notice this when you email the pic and open it on a PC or Mac...

I forgot to mention I contacted Nokia Support and their agent had no clue how to increase the resolution. And yes I have ALL software and OS updates for the Lumia 920.

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    All my pictures are 2+Mb with all default options. Took a couple last night that are 2.22mb, 2.56mb etc
    Red Lumia 920

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Take a snapshot of your current camera settings

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Here you go as well. Read through this forum

emailing photos in original size on WP8

Use Skydrive (That's what I use) and the images stay full resolution. If you email them apparently they get shrunk down.
    Red Lumia 920

My average picture size is around 2.5mb. Not sure what settings are on your phone to make them 400kb.

Quote Originally Posted by bvmoreno View Post
    Question to all Lumia 920 owners: When pictures are taken at all resolutions they are usually stored at 400KB files. My old blackberry saves photos as 1.5 MB files whereas the iPhone saves photos as 2 MB. Does anybody except me think this is suspicious? Even with the new HDR camera app the pics are stored as roughly 400KB . You really notice this when you email the pic and open it on a PC or Mac...
    I think emailing it will reduce size. Just upload to Skydrive in high resolution. If you need to share high res pics, just send them the link to your Skydrive picture. Many people don't like receiving huge picture files in their Inbox.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    First of all , welcome to WPcentral.
    My dear friend , the camera is 8.7 , that .7 is being used to create pictures that look good on both 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios , other cameras kill 4:3 pictures (popular for shooting tall buildings.)
    This camera instead gives you a perfect 8mp 4:3 picture and a 7.1mp 16:9 picture.
    Iphone 5 by default uses 4:3 ratio .
    Lumia 920 uses 19:6 by default

If the iphone 5 wanted to shoot a 16:9 picture it has to delete lots of data of its 4:3 ratio picture .

This why the sensor is 8.7 to allow that easy conversion
    here's a picture to easy your mind ...

nokia-lumia-920-8-7mp-camera-sensor-diagram_thumb.jpg

and here's a 16:9 ratio picture by the Lumia 920 http://sdrv.ms/Ureo1O

and here's a 4:3 ratio picture by the same phone . http://sdrv.ms/VmtgPK
    I hope you got the idea ...
    Cheers . :)
    @nabkawe5
    Thanked by:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    In the photo settings you can set Upload to Skydrive and you can set the settings to very high gaining two advantages (First higher res and quality pics, Second, it'll only auto upload on Wifi so no data will be eaten .
    Thanked by:
    M Muzzamil Luqman likes this.

Ah now I see. I logged into my Skydrive account and see the photos as around 2 MB files. Wish Nokia support would mentioned this when I was on the phone with them.
    Now I'm a bit peeved that I have to share my full resolution photos through Skydrive instead of directly through my email. Oh well, thanks for the info fellas.
    Cheers and TGIF!

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Using Skydrive to send files is awesome , and if you happen to try it in a browser skydrive.com ... you'll get a share option in each picture , this share could be limited to people who has the link and can just view it , another sharing is a link where people can view and edit the pic , and the last sharing is to make that picture public for all , all these methods give you a long link that could be shortened if you asked it to . :)
    Think of the traffic you save on sending those emails (if you have autoupload on and you picked an old picture to mail the data cost will only be the link it'll create ...
    (Remember to go through Skydrive camera roll album though.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabkawe5 View Post
    First of all , welcome to WPcentral.
    My dear friend , the camera is 8.7 , that .7 is being used to create pictures that look good on both 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratios , other cameras kill 4:3 pictures (popular for shooting tall buildings.)
    This camera instead gives you a perfect 8mp 4:3 picture and a 7.1mp 16:9 picture.
    Iphone 5 by default uses 4:3 ratio .
    Lumia 920 uses 19:6 by default

If the iphone 5 wanted to shoot a 16:9 picture it has to delete lots of data of its 4:3 ratio picture .

This why the sensor is 8.7 to allow that easy conversion
    here's a picture to easy your mind ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nokia-lumia-920-8-7MP-camera-sensor-diagram_thumb.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	25742

and here's a 16:9 ratio picture by the Lumia 920 http://sdrv.ms/Ureo1O

and here's a 4:3 ratio picture by the same phone . http://sdrv.ms/VmtgPK
    I hope you got the idea ...
    Cheers . :)
    @nabkawe5
    Damn nice explanation... gotta bookmark it for future reference.
    George Ponder
    Reviews Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: george.ponder@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @coppertop004

Thanked by:
    AndreasKj likes this.

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by George Ponder View Post
    Damn nice explanation... gotta bookmark it for future reference.
    Thanks George , a thanks on the post would go along way ;D
    Thanked by:
    Mr37 

Quote Originally Posted by Sinabu View Post
    Here you go as well. Read through this forum

emailing photos in original size on WP8

Use Skydrive (That's what I use) and the images stay full resolution. If you email them apparently they get shrunk down.
    The feature to upload at full resolution only available in North America, the rest of the the world has no options! All my camera roll album pics uploaded to SkyDrive is only about 200kb with camera settings at default :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabkawe5 View Post
    In the photo settings you can set Upload to Skydrive and you can set the settings to very high gaining two advantages (First higher res and quality pics, Second, it'll only auto upload on Wifi so no data will be eaten .
    thank you very much. Your reply is very helpful.

You can plug your phone into your computer USB, and send them that way, too, like a memory card. Obviously, not as convenient and one more step, but still pretty easy.

I agree it would be nice to pick the resolution to email, but in general, most people hate to get huge attachments sent to them. I know sometimes full-res pics are required, but not for most people or purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoAnt View Post
    The feature to upload at full resolution only available in North America, the rest of the the world has no options! All my camera roll album pics uploaded to SkyDrive is only about 200kb with camera settings at default :(
    I'm in the UK on EE, and I can upload to SkyDrive at full resolution (over WiFi). When uploaded, files are always in excess of 2 mb.

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoAnt View Post
    I am in the UK and i can confirm that the pictures uploaded to skydrive are not reduced but kept to full size.

Same in Sweden, ~2mb.

i need help.. I tried everything it says here, but my pictures are still around 270 kb even if I transfer them on to my computer through usb... all of the settings are on default... HELP!!! :(... picture resolution is 720x1278 and if it's 8.7 Mp it should be much, much more..