Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By EliteMikes
  • 1 Post By irvin792

I got a replacement last Friday, but I was out of town so yesterday was the first day I could play with it.

I can confirm that anyone that has any noticeable flex or clicking on the case has a flawed unit of some sort. I personally think this is just due to the assembly process and nothing more in most cases. The vibration on this new unit is also nice and smooth. I hope it stays like that.

I'm going to keep an eye on my wife's white one, her case is clicking near the sim tray. I think if you have this issue, there is a good chance you will eventually get dust inside.

Are these issues big enough for you to contact Nokia Care? That's up to you. Mine had issues at the bottom near the usb connector (very soft feeling) which is why I wanted a new one.
    Thanked by:
    James8561 likes this.

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I had problems with dust in the FFC and also my wireless charger locking up my phone.

The replacement I received has a much tighter shell and there are no visible gaps between the glass/gasket and phone shell like there was on my first one. This one also has not locked up so far either.

I imagine it was just QC issues at the factory and now that they are catching up newer batches will be better.
    Red Lumia 920

How did you go about getting a replacement?

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I contacted Nokia on Twitter originally.. @NokiaCareUS and spoke with them regarding my issues. I think emailed their customer support and after testing with them they wanted to send me a new one so they could look over my old one to try and run down the issues.
    Red Lumia 920

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteMikes View Post
    I got a replacement last Friday, but I was out of town so yesterday was the first day I could play with it.

I can confirm that anyone that has any noticeable flex or clicking on the case has a flawed unit of some sort. I personally think this is just due to the assembly process and nothing more in most cases. The vibration on this new unit is also nice and smooth. I hope it stays like that.

I'm going to keep an eye on my wife's white one, her case is clicking near the sim tray. I think if you have this issue, there is a good chance you will eventually get dust inside.

Are these issues big enough for you to contact Nokia Care? That's up to you. Mine had issues at the bottom near the usb connector (very soft feeling) which is why I wanted a new one.
    I am on my second replacement for dust in the FFC and I noticed the vibration is a lot smoother and quieter. No more rattling. The new replacement as a whole feels more "tightly" built. No creaks. I am happy.

Global Posts
    359 Global Posts
    I do have the clicking issue on the headphone jack part of the case, though I don't deem it worthy for me to send out and get a replacement unit. Maybe if my battery all of a sudden became defective, then I'd consider it.

Besides, for me to cause the clicking sound, I have to actually press down on the top.

Global Posts
    1,078 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoon24 View Post
    I do have the clicking issue on the headphone jack part of the case, though I don't deem it worthy for me to send out and get a replacement unit. Maybe if my battery all of a sudden became defective, then I'd consider it.

Besides, for me to cause the clicking sound, I have to actually press down on the top.
    me too, but I'm ocd and kept pushing it lol
    Sent from my Lumia 920 C3P0.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    Did you have to send in your phone first or did they mail you a replacement first?

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieBacchus View Post
    Did you have to send in your phone first or did they mail you a replacement first?
    I had to go into AT&T today to order a replacement. They ship the phone to you and in the box is a return label so you can ship your broken phone back to them.

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Mine came from Nokia and they shipped me the replacement first and I mailed the defective one back
    Red Lumia 920

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Can you tell us the batch number and whatever other info is on the box? I might buy a 920 but want to avoid buying one with clicking defects or gaps at the top for dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinabu View Post
    Mine came from Nokia and they shipped me the replacement first and I mailed the defective one back
    Is the clicking/flexing and the dust the only reasons you gave for wanting a replacement? I tried to call AT&T to request a replacement for a yellow 920 screen that scratches way too easily and they wanted us to ship the phone back to them and wait for them to check it out before they would send a replacement device.

Also - are you in the US? What carrier?

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Mine was locking up on the wireless charger. That was the main reason. The dust was secondary.
    Red Lumia 920

Quote Originally Posted by cddigi View Post
    I had to go into AT&T today to order a replacement. They ship the phone to you and in the box is a return label so you can ship your broken phone back to them.

What reason did you give AT&T for wanting a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinxb View Post
    What reason did you give AT&T for wanting a replacement?
    Airplane mode was stuck on and the battery kept discharging causing the phone to heat up. Phone got hot last night while on the wireless charger, but didn't think anything was wrong and I put it on the wall charger while I slept and it looks like the heat problem got worse and fried some of the radios. Just flashed my phone twice with two different ATT rom versions and still have the exact same problem. The worst part besides having to go an entire weekend without a phone is that they didn't have any yellow in stock to ship to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinabu View Post
    I had to send in mine for more than 2 weeks. Took a chat and 2 phone calls (from their end) to get it back in overnight (from dallas it was UPS ground)

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Whats the batch number?

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    The creaking came after two weeks or so for me and only when the phone was hot, so you might not be out of the clear yet :)

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafs89 View Post
    Whats the batch number?
    Ummm, where do I find it? It didn't come in a box.

I get a slight creaking noise when i press the top of the sim card tray. When i press the headphone jack there is no creaking is my phone ok?

Also my lock screen button seems slightly more pressed in then thr other side buttons is that normal or am i just being paranoid?

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Yeah, good luck getting a yellow replacement. I FINALLY got my replacement last Sat, after talking to them end of Nov early Dec. I got mine in first few days it was available and it developed dust in ffc and had reboots. Just be pushy about it and stick to your guns.

Sorry I haven't been replying, family was in town.

I contacted Nokia care and not at&t. I just explained to them out of the 6 other units I have access to, mine is the only one that feels "weak". I told them handing this phone off to someone to try and convince them to get one themselves wasn't going to happen in this state. That wasn't a stretch, depending on how you held it, you'd hear and feel the creak.

This replacement is still rock solid, but I may have a bigger issue. I'm going to play with both today side by side. The GPS seems to be struggling to lock on. The old one has no issue whatsoever. I am hoping I don't have to get another one, but this is a serious issue, bigger than the dust or creaking. It was a clear day yesterday and I never got gps lock.

Battery life is horrible at the moment. I'm hoping its just due to it being a brand new battery. I'd like to think that a refurb would get a new one....
    Last edited by EliteMikes; 12-30-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Global Posts
    2,839 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cddigi View Post
    . The worst part besides having to go an entire weekend without a phone is that they didn't have any yellow in stock to ship to me.
    The WHOLE weekend? No yellow?

Wow. Poor you.

Battery life on the new one is horrible. Since I'm home, I'm actually using it very casually and the battery can't make it any where near a day. I had to turn on Nokia drive for about 3 minutes yesterday and since I was testing the battery I didn't plug it in. Once I was done with drive I ended navigation and continued to use the phone normally. Only got about 6 hours of battery life.

I almost feel like the GPS could be faulty on this one. It was locking on for me, but it seemed much slower than my other one. Even when checking my "Me tile" notifications the location icon stays visible for 10-20 seconds on average.

At my house I'm using a micro cell so I'm getting a solid 4G signal.

I may be talking to nokia care tomorrow and sending back the new one. I need a phone that lasts a day. I can live with the build quality issue a bit longer.