- 12-29-2012, 07:55 AM #52
- 12-29-2012, 02:12 PM #56
I posted this in another thread, but I might as well also post it here :)
I have to resort to Internet Explorer for most of my favorite sites which have apps on other platforms and even then the mobile sites are mostly rendered really badly because of the fact that they are almost all Webkit optimized. Just a list of my app problems:
- The Facebook app isn't complete and the mobile site feels really cheap and slow if your compare it to iOS or Android
- IMDB is really lacking while this was one of the showcase apps back in the WP7 days. There isn't even a login possibilty (IMDB is useless to me without my Watchlist)
- No The Verge app... and the site doesn't work well because of Webkit optimization (it's my favorite site)
- No localized sites (Autoblog, Autoweek, Tweakers, NUsport, etc)
- No Google apps (Gmail, Youtube (MetroTube doesn't show all videos just like the old iOS app and the mobile site has quirks), Google Maps (GMaps isn't a good solution))
- Most banking apps in my country aren't available
- Whatsapp is implemented really badly with the draining WIFI hack and bugs (I have almost 160 Whatsapp contacts, it's the number one communication method on phones in my country)
I could go on :) I feel like I'm really making a lot of compromises in day to day usage. In my opinion unnecessary compromises as on iOS and Android these problems don't exist.
- 12-30-2012, 08:15 AM #58
But it's almost 2013 now.... and it sometimes feels like I'm back to square one with Windows Phone. Back to the days of missing functionalities and lacking apps. If you think about it rationally, it's pretty crazy for me to keep on using WP8, but I'm just a sucker for beautiful and original design. When I play with my Galaxy Nexus it really feels unpolished, open sourcy, with non natural animations in comparison to WP8 and iOS. I was contemplating a week ago to sell the 920 and get an iPhone 5, but I'm going to keep the 920 and give it another 6 months. I just hope the developers will get to it! But with the pace the Lumia 920 is being sold out, I have a feeling it might just stand a chance.
01-02-2013, 01:33 PM #59
- 42 Posts
This is what happens when you post something just before going to vacation.
And you forget to subscribe to your own post.
I am the author of the original post.
To make sure, my tone was more of sarcasm.
I understand that no one can install 700K apps in their phone.
But, the reality is that when I talk to non-WP users, no matter how much I convince them, the final argument is on the apps.
That is when I really talk to a person that my phone can't have 700K apps, and I wonder how his phone has 700K apps.
I think, that made him think a little.
Even after that, he remains iPhone fan.
But, he respects WP.
- 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM #60
I saw 7 androids and one iphone this past week. They were mostly stock, none "rooted" or jailbroken. They all generally had the same apps:
some office type app (big surprise for me)
Instagram/picasa/google+/iphoto/etc (with most set to auto upload)
A few video editing apps
A few fart apps
A few different nav apps
Most phones were 50%full of pics/movies/music, and the users were used to moving/sharing files via wifi/bluetooth/adhoc on a whim.
Battery life wasn't a concern for anyone. Just plug it in.
Speed wasn't a concern.
Reboots weren't a problem.
Freezing wasn't a problem.
Updates weren't a -consideration- at all.
The users were completely happy with whatever their phone did, so long as they could get the app so-n-so had on their phone, there were no pissing matches. There was one exception to this rule: the note2, everyone wanted that phone. Period. S3 ? Nope, not enough. Iphone5 ? Nu uh, wanted note2.
Soooo, my conclusion was, folks really are happy with current products. The only 3 opinions of windows, on a phone, were "we'll see about that".awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
- 01-02-2013, 09:11 PM #61
I see the humor in this thread but seriously if someone needs to have a zillion apps on their phone they be better off with a laptop or something.
I was talking with my cousin who is a diehard Apple person and told him that I have a Lumia 920 and he said right away oh you dont have many apps do you. I told him I have what I need and I am happy with it. I asked him let compare apps that you have and see if I can find them on the Windows Phone side. So we went through 12 of them and out the 12 I could find only 10 and the 2 I could not find was probably because I could not find a comparble version or Author that makes the same application. And he was impressed with this outcome. And Really anyone that is Apple or Android fan telling you aww you don't have any Apps ask him to share a few that he/she uses every day and see if you can find the app on the WIndows Phone side. I willing to bet you will find the same or better application than what they have 10 times out of 12. People just don't know Windows Phone and need to give it a chance otherwise its a situation of close minded and I just say Really.... Really!!!!.
- By saintforlife in forum Upcoming & Rumored DevicesReplies: 59Last Post: 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM
- By rmichael75 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 1Last Post: 12-01-2012, 03:39 AM
- By v10type-r in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 41Last Post: 11-07-2012, 07:03 PM
- By karl11 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 25Last Post: 11-07-2012, 12:00 AM
- By nokiawp7 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 28Last Post: 11-06-2012, 08:36 PM