Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 61 of 61
Like Tree83Likes
  1. JamesTBurns's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheYid View Post
    But where there isnt an app why not just use the website
    Of course, but this thread seems to be ridiculing the idea that having lots of apps available is important.
  2. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,662 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesTBurns View Post
    This sounds like something a Blackberry die hard would say. Since Blackberry does not have many apps, apps are stupid and not needed.

    The point of apps is that they are optimized for the phone, web apps are not.
    No need for the name call brow if someone doesn't agree with you that's okay they have that right. Make your points in a civil manned and move on.
  3. TonyDedrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    520 Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheYid View Post
    But where there isnt an app why not just use the website
    Some mobile sites are just not very user friendly and at times, some of the functions won't work correctly. I just find apps to pretty much fool proof, provided it has the features you are looking for
  4. Dex Da Rex's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    61 Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by lowry View Post
    I agree totally. The lack of banking apps is what forces me to drag my iPad with me when I would like to only have my phone. On the whole I have found replacement for every app but the banking ones.
    I needed a PNC bank app like on iOS and Android but I just went to the online site and pinned to home screen the log in. So its much faster then the actual app now. :)
    Old_Cus likes this.
  5. Mio_Ray's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    317 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    #55  
    I just need Tapatalk! Everything else is just better in WP IMO
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
  6. deuxani's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    #56  
    I posted this in another thread, but I might as well also post it here :)

    I have to resort to Internet Explorer for most of my favorite sites which have apps on other platforms and even then the mobile sites are mostly rendered really badly because of the fact that they are almost all Webkit optimized. Just a list of my app problems:

    - The Facebook app isn't complete and the mobile site feels really cheap and slow if your compare it to iOS or Android
    - IMDB is really lacking while this was one of the showcase apps back in the WP7 days. There isn't even a login possibilty (IMDB is useless to me without my Watchlist)
    - No The Verge app... and the site doesn't work well because of Webkit optimization (it's my favorite site)
    - No localized sites (Autoblog, Autoweek, Tweakers, NUsport, etc)
    - No Google apps (Gmail, Youtube (MetroTube doesn't show all videos just like the old iOS app and the mobile site has quirks), Google Maps (GMaps isn't a good solution))
    - Most banking apps in my country aren't available
    - Whatsapp is implemented really badly with the draining WIFI hack and bugs (I have almost 160 Whatsapp contacts, it's the number one communication method on phones in my country)

    I could go on :) I feel like I'm really making a lot of compromises in day to day usage. In my opinion unnecessary compromises as on iOS and Android these problems don't exist.
    ColeHarris likes this.
  7. MikeTheYid's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    68 Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxani View Post
    I posted this in another thread, but I might as well also post it here :)

    I have to resort to Internet Explorer for most of my favorite sites which have apps on other platforms and even then the mobile sites are mostly rendered really badly because of the fact that they are almost all Webkit optimized. Just a list of my app problems:

    - The Facebook app isn't complete and the mobile site feels really cheap and slow if your compare it to iOS or Android
    - IMDB is really lacking while this was one of the showcase apps back in the WP7 days. There isn't even a login possibilty (IMDB is useless to me without my Watchlist)
    - No The Verge app... and the site doesn't work well because of Webkit optimization (it's my favorite site)
    - No localized sites (Autoblog, Autoweek, Tweakers, NUsport, etc)
    - No Google apps (Gmail, Youtube (MetroTube doesn't show all videos just like the old iOS app and the mobile site has quirks), Google Maps (GMaps isn't a good solution))
    - Most banking apps in my country aren't available
    - Whatsapp is implemented really badly with the draining WIFI hack and bugs (I have almost 160 Whatsapp contacts, it's the number one communication method on phones in my country)

    I could go on :) I feel like I'm really making a lot of compromises in day to day usage. In my opinion unnecessary compromises as on iOS and Android these problems don't exist.
    Im guessing you weren't on android from the beginning because it took 2 years before we got a lot of the big apps, 3 for the banking ones.
  8. deuxani's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheYid View Post
    Im guessing you weren't on android from the beginning because it took 2 years before we got a lot of the big apps, 3 for the banking ones.
    After many years with Windows Mobile and Symbian (N95 was my last phone in the old era) I bought the original iPhone, I won the HTC Hero (but I sold it after two weeks because it was horribly slow and Android felt too open sourcy and cheap in comparison to iOS), the iPhone 3G, the iPhone 4 and after the disappointing 4S announcement (the iPhone 5 should've been the 4S) I bought the Galaxy Nexus. So my first full day-to-day Android experience was with Android 4.0 (my time with the HTC Hero was too short to count). So I've had my share of experiences with missing functionalities and bad apps (I remember how I longed soooo long for the messaging app on iOS to go landscape) and finally with iOS5 and Android 4.0 all that was resolved.

    But it's almost 2013 now.... and it sometimes feels like I'm back to square one with Windows Phone. Back to the days of missing functionalities and lacking apps. If you think about it rationally, it's pretty crazy for me to keep on using WP8, but I'm just a sucker for beautiful and original design. When I play with my Galaxy Nexus it really feels unpolished, open sourcy, with non natural animations in comparison to WP8 and iOS. I was contemplating a week ago to sell the 920 and get an iPhone 5, but I'm going to keep the 920 and give it another 6 months. I just hope the developers will get to it! But with the pace the Lumia 920 is being sold out, I have a feeling it might just stand a chance.
  9. anilraj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
       #59  
    This is what happens when you post something just before going to vacation.
    And you forget to subscribe to your own post.

    I am the author of the original post.

    To make sure, my tone was more of sarcasm.
    I understand that no one can install 700K apps in their phone.

    But, the reality is that when I talk to non-WP users, no matter how much I convince them, the final argument is on the apps.
    That is when I really talk to a person that my phone can't have 700K apps, and I wonder how his phone has 700K apps.
    I think, that made him think a little.
    Even after that, he remains iPhone fan.
    But, he respects WP.
  10. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    #60  
    I saw 7 androids and one iphone this past week. They were mostly stock, none "rooted" or jailbroken. They all generally had the same apps:

    Facebook (ugh)
    Youtube (duh)
    some office type app (big surprise for me)
    Instagram/picasa/google+/iphoto/etc (with most set to auto upload)
    A few video editing apps
    A few fart apps
    A few different nav apps

    Most phones were 50%full of pics/movies/music, and the users were used to moving/sharing files via wifi/bluetooth/adhoc on a whim.

    Battery life wasn't a concern for anyone. Just plug it in.

    Speed wasn't a concern.

    Reboots weren't a problem.

    Freezing wasn't a problem.

    Updates weren't a -consideration- at all.

    The users were completely happy with whatever their phone did, so long as they could get the app so-n-so had on their phone, there were no pissing matches. There was one exception to this rule: the note2, everyone wanted that phone. Period. S3 ? Nope, not enough. Iphone5 ? Nu uh, wanted note2.

    Soooo, my conclusion was, folks really are happy with current products. The only 3 opinions of windows, on a phone, were "we'll see about that".
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
  11. neftv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    158 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    #61  
    I see the humor in this thread but seriously if someone needs to have a zillion apps on their phone they be better off with a laptop or something.
    I was talking with my cousin who is a diehard Apple person and told him that I have a Lumia 920 and he said right away oh you dont have many apps do you. I told him I have what I need and I am happy with it. I asked him let compare apps that you have and see if I can find them on the Windows Phone side. So we went through 12 of them and out the 12 I could find only 10 and the 2 I could not find was probably because I could not find a comparble version or Author that makes the same application. And he was impressed with this outcome. And Really anyone that is Apple or Android fan telling you aww you don't have any Apps ask him to share a few that he/she uses every day and see if you can find the app on the WIndows Phone side. I willing to bet you will find the same or better application than what they have 10 times out of 12. People just don't know Windows Phone and need to give it a chance otherwise its a situation of close minded and I just say Really.... Really!!!!.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Anybody disappointed that the Lumia 920 doesn't have a 4.8" screen?
    By saintforlife in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
  2. I've got my Lumia 920 Thread.
    By rmichael75 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 02:39 AM
  3. Got my LUMIA 920 just now from Rogers store!
    By v10type-r in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM
  4. getting my lumia 920 this Friday at 9:00am.
    By karl11 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 11:00 PM
  5. Gonna make my Lumia 920 on friday even heavier
    By nokiawp7 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 07:36 PM

Posting Permissions

B