Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hopmedic
  1. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,233 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
       #1  
    Some say go to about and reset phone. Some say do the 3 key combination. Are there any differences between these two methods?
  2. #2  
    Hard reset: Settings | About | Reset Your Phone | Confirm twice. Then the phone will reset back to factory settings. This is the only one that should be called a hard reset. Also referred to as a factory reset by some.

    Cold reset / warm reset / restart....... This is where things get fuzzy. Different people mean different things. I'm not going to give them names because of that.

    First, simplest. Press the power button and hold it, slide the lock screen down. Phone says goodbye, and shuts off. You turn it back on.

    Second, for use when the phone freezes and that one doesn't work. Hold the power button and the volume down button (for Nokia - I don't know if this works on HTC or others, or if this is a Nokia hardware feature). Phone restarts.

    Third, power the phone off as you did the first way, but don't turn it back on. Plug in power, and at the same time hold down the down volume button. Hold it until an exclamation point appears on the screen, then let go. Phone will restart. I've seen this posted as direction from Nokia engineers to attempt to resolve the issue of phones shutting off or rebooting. Not sure if this one works on HTC or other hardware, or if it is a Nokia feature.

    Hope this helps clear things up for you.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek and dabdoub81 like this.
  3. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,233 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Hard reset: Settings | About | Reset Your Phone | Confirm twice. Then the phone will reset back to factory settings. This is the only one that should be called a hard reset. Also referred to as a factory reset by some.

    Cold reset / warm reset / restart....... This is where things get fuzzy. Different people mean different things. I'm not going to give them names because of that.

    First, simplest. Press the power button and hold it, slide the lock screen down. Phone says goodbye, and shuts off. You turn it back on.

    Second, for use when the phone freezes and that one doesn't work. Hold the power button and the volume down button (for Nokia - I don't know if this works on HTC or others, or if this is a Nokia hardware feature). Phone restarts.

    Third, power the phone off as you did the first way, but don't turn it back on. Plug in power, and at the same time hold down the down volume button. Hold it until an exclamation point appears on the screen, then let go. Phone will restart. I've seen this posted as direction from Nokia engineers to attempt to resolve the issue of phones shutting off or rebooting. Not sure if this one works on HTC or other hardware, or if it is a Nokia feature.

    Hope this helps clear things up for you.
    Thanks I'm aware of the different methods to reset.

    MY question is if there is a difference between going to about and pressing reset as opposed to the third method you posted with the key combination.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Hard reset: Settings | About | Reset Your Phone | Confirm twice. Then the phone will reset back to factory settings. This is the only one that should be called a hard reset. Also referred to as a factory reset by some.

    Cold reset / warm reset / restart....... This is where things get fuzzy. Different people mean different things. I'm not going to give them names because of that.

    First, simplest. Press the power button and hold it, slide the lock screen down. Phone says goodbye, and shuts off. You turn it back on.

    Second, for use when the phone freezes and that one doesn't work. Hold the power button and the volume down button (for Nokia - I don't know if this works on HTC or others, or if this is a Nokia hardware feature). Phone restarts.

    Third, power the phone off as you did the first way, but don't turn it back on. Plug in power, and at the same time hold down the down volume button. Hold it until an exclamation point appears on the screen, then let go. Phone will restart. I've seen this posted as direction from Nokia engineers to attempt to resolve the issue of phones shutting off or rebooting. Not sure if this one works on HTC or other hardware, or if it is a Nokia feature.

    Hope this helps clear things up for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    Thanks I'm aware of the different methods to reset.

    MY question is if there is a difference between going to about and pressing reset as opposed to the third method you posted with the key combination.
    Your answer in bold. That's the only way to restore it back to factory.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  5. VineRider's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    #5  
    Both the settings about method and the key combination referenced above are a hard reset. Settings about does exactly the same as the key combo. The reason for the key combo is for when your phone won't boot. Both methods reset the phone back to factory defaults.
  6. slashd0t's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #6  
    Make sure you are prepared to flash the phone's firmware after it bricks when you do the hard reset.. I just hard reset my 920 for the first time and now I'm going through the flashing process... It's so common there is a sticky thread here about it.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by VineRider View Post
    Both the settings about method and the key combination referenced above are a hard reset. Settings about does exactly the same as the key combo. The reason for the key combo is for when your phone won't boot. Both methods reset the phone back to factory defaults.
    Ummm.... On what phone do the key combinations take it back to factory??? Not a Nokia. I've done it. Have you?
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  8. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,233 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
    Make sure you are prepared to flash the phone's firmware after it bricks when you do the hard reset.. I just hard reset my 920 for the first time and now I'm going through the flashing process... It's so common there is a sticky thread here about it.
    Well I did mine with the about->reset and did not brick.

    Still experiencing problems with my phone so was wondering if the key combo was any different.
  9. VineRider's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Ummm.... On what phone do the key combinations take it back to factory??? Not a Nokia. I've done it. Have you?
    http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/p...oubleshooting/

    This link explains the process. Read the FAQ on"how do I reset my Nokia Lumia if it does not work properly".
  10. generalsu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    119 Posts
    #10  
    The hard reset combo key does not work for me. I get a soft reset instead.

Similar Threads

  1. Lost data connection...hard reset
    By Rocket_Girl in forum Samsung Focus S 4G
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 11:06 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 02:43 PM
  3. Lose Podcast Subscriptions After Hard Reset?
    By joshpollard in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2011, 07:42 PM
  4. Forced to hard reset
    By markwill in forum HTC Arrive / 7 Pro
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 11:28 AM
  5. Restore from Backup after Hard Reset
    By IAmCole in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 09:54 PM

Posting Permissions