Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 69
Like Tree2Likes
  1. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
       #1  
    Does anybody experience the same thing? The Lumia 920 suddenly become too hot on the area above the camera that it cause the front side of the touchscreen also become very hot.
    I wonder if it is because of the network provider or the phone itself.
    And also I was testing my parents Lumia 920 by using Whatsapp and it suddenly gets hot too. Is this normal for Whatsapp?
  2. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,232 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,905 Global Posts
    #2  
    Mine is doing the same thing.. My phone is warm al the time.

    My guess is it's a stuck process jamming the CPU (where it's getting hot is where it's located). Hopefully microsft addresses the issues and rolls out an udate.

    Try doing a soft reset.
  3. arni99's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    133 Posts
    #3  
    NFC (Tap & Send) enabled?
  4. loukkis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by arni99 View Post
    NFC (Tap & Send) enabled?
    I don't believe that NFC has anything to do with battery draining. I've had it on from the very first day of my Lumia, and it never has caused anything. Few software has been pain in the ***, some search app and other that i can't remember. I believe that draining issues are caused by bad 3rd party programs, rather than wp8. I could be wrong thou.. ;)
  5. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,232 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,905 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by loukkis View Post
    I don't believe that NFC has anything to do with battery draining. I've had it on from the very first day of my Lumia, and it never has caused anything. Few software has been pain in the ***, some search app and other that i can't remember. I believe that draining issues are caused by bad 3rd party programs, rather than wp8. I could be wrong thou.. ;)
    You are. For me , I experienced it straight out of the box.
  6. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    Mine is doing the same thing.. My phone is warm al the time.

    My guess is it's a stuck process jamming the CPU (where it's getting hot is where it's located). Hopefully microsft addresses the issues and rolls out an udate.

    Try doing a soft reset.
    What I did usually is quickly turn on the Airplane mode, and then leave it for a while. And when it cooled down, I turn off the airplane mode again. And the phone's temperature is back to normal again. I really suspect this must because of the network provider. Is Soft Reset is the same as hold down the power button until it says goodbye and then turn it on again?
  7. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by arni99 View Post
    NFC (Tap & Send) enabled?
    Nope. The first few days, it was enabled, but then when I switch off the network (turn on the airplane mode) it became normal again. Not hot. But I realized, when I disabled the NFC, it does improve the battery life quite significant.
    akroy likes this.
  8. Troyseph's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    #8  
    I really think it has to do with the network antenna and searching for networks . When I am traveling on the train and using the phone, as I go through areas with weak signal the phone gets warm. If I choose to use the airport mode during those times then it doesn't heat up at all.
  9. yodies's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    #9  
    Mine gets hot any time I play a game that is CPU-intensive. Age of Sorcery in particular will get it humming in a few minutes. That's just what happens when you have a passively-cooled CPU without any airflow.
  10. datisdesign's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    #10  
    my phone was charging last day and back of the camera got too hot, when I clicked the camera button, the phone resets ! I tried again and again and same thing happened !
    Unplugged the phone from charger and let it to cool down and camera was working again !
  11. #11  
    CPU / SoC i just getting to hot. Still something wrong with firmware and os itself. I've compared my lumia 920 to my dads 820. Both have the same soc and his phone never gets warm even when surfing on internet. My phone at that time is really warm above camera (but not as hot to reset the phone).
  12. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,141 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,167 Global Posts
    #12  
    I've noticed that the phone is warmer if I'm taking pics/videos for an extended period of time but never hot. However, it does get really hot when using Nokia Drive.
  13. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyseph View Post
    I really think it has to do with the network antenna and searching for networks . When I am traveling on the train and using the phone, as I go through areas with weak signal the phone gets warm. If I choose to use the airport mode during those times then it doesn't heat up at all.
    I do really hope this is the main cause. I will try to switch to other provider after I use up this month data plan with my current provider. True, when I use airplane mode, it doesn't heat up at all

    Quote Originally Posted by yodies View Post
    Mine gets hot any time I play a game that is CPU-intensive. Age of Sorcery in particular will get it humming in a few minutes. That's just what happens when you have a passively-cooled CPU without any airflow.
    Yeap, I wouldn't mind if it is hot because of me playing CPU-intensive game. But isn't this phone using the latest Snapdragon with 28 mm technology, which is supposed to reduce a lot of heat and consume less power? Because less power means less heat.



    Quote Originally Posted by datisdesign View Post
    my phone was charging last day and back of the camera got too hot, when I clicked the camera button, the phone resets ! I tried again and again and same thing happened !
    Unplugged the phone from charger and let it to cool down and camera was working again !
    I think it's the temperature sensor that prevent the camera from working, because the heat might damage the camera if it is used at that temperature. Just like the computer CPU that will automatically shut down, if it is too hot.
  14. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcin Winkowski View Post
    CPU / SoC i just getting to hot. Still something wrong with firmware and os itself. I've compared my lumia 920 to my dads 820. Both have the same soc and his phone never gets warm even when surfing on internet. My phone at that time is really warm above camera (but not as hot to reset the phone).
    Another possible problem is due to the firmware and also the un-optimize apps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    I've noticed that the phone is warmer if I'm taking pics/videos for an extended period of time but never hot. However, it does get really hot when using Nokia Drive.
    A lot of users have complained that Nokia Drive drained their battery pretty fast. And when the drain is too fast, it will cause the phone to heat up. Just close the app and then on Settings -> system -> background tasks -> Click on Nokia Drive+ Beta and blocked it from running in the background, even when it's not open.
    Thanked by:
    HeyCori likes this.
  15. HeyCori's Avatar
    Mod Emeritus

    Posts
    5,141 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,167 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsey View Post
    A lot of users have complained that Nokia Drive drained their battery pretty fast. And when the drain is too fast, it will cause the phone to heat up. Just close the app and then on Settings -> system -> background tasks -> Click on Nokia Drive+ Beta and blocked it from running in the background, even when it's not open.
    Yup, I did that after I realized that Nokia Drive was making my phone hot.
  16. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure 8 Dash View Post
    Yup, I did that after I realized that Nokia Drive was making my phone hot.
    Oh... great. I thought you haven't known about it. :)
  17. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,232 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,905 Global Posts
    #17  
    I don't have Nokia drive and mine is still gettin warm
  18. wilsey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    I don't have Nokia drive and mine is still gettin warm
    Have you tried to turn on the airplane mode and leave it idle for a while?
  19. thekonger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    243 Posts
    Global Posts
    283 Global Posts
    #19  
    Mine gets warm when playing games but not the screen itself.
  20. wjlim3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    95 Posts
    #20  
    i noticed that it gets particularly hot when surfing the net or when it's trying to search for networks constantly.
  21. downhillrider's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    #21  
    ok so this phone runs hot. everyone's phone is doing the same, unless there is a change in the next update (if that even possible) it will continue to happen.
  22. Nabkawe5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    356 Posts
    Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    #22  
    My Lumia 920 did this , once I updated to Portico it all went away , I used to deactivate everything and today I activate almost every feature and still the phone doesn't get hot unless its on the wireless charger.
  23. chinlj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabkawe5 View Post
    My Lumia 920 did this , once I updated to Portico it all went away , I used to deactivate everything and today I activate almost every feature and still the phone doesn't get hot unless its on the wireless charger.
    that's a very good news. Would like to hear more people who can confirm this. Otherwise this is just an isolated case.
  24. James8561's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    956 Posts
    #24  
    don't use phone while charging.
    this applies to laptops and tablets as well
  25. Ted Ritsick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    #25  
    I've had this problem since Day 1, returned it to the store, got another one and the guy said it was "normal" when it happened on the second one. I have everything basically off. Portico came and I have the same problem. My back heats up when using network data especially LTE. I flashed once after a failed software reset too and that did not help. I'm trying another software reset tonight and going from there.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lumia 920 not charging with the usb charger
    By tomassplatch in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 06:51 PM
  2. Lumia 920 Users Thoughts on the 810
    By vtective in forum Nokia Lumia 810
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 06:39 PM
  4. New Lumia 920 - Runs hot
    By tangobravozab in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 04:46 PM
  5. Lumia 920/HTC 8X/ Iphone 4S camera comparison.
    By Winterfang in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions