Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks uktivo.

I did contact them and that is the response I got. Clove arent quite responsible - it is the description they get from the manufacturer i.e Nokia and Nokia not disclosing all the information.
    I didnt buy a contract from Clove. The contract is bought seperately (Sim only plan).

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk_1 View Post
    Thanks uktivo.

I did contact them and that is the response I got. Clove arent quite responsible - it is the description they get from the manufacturer i.e Nokia and Nokia not disclosing all the information.
    I didnt buy a contract from Clove. The contract is bought seperately (Sim only plan).
    From my little knowledge of UK law. Saying they didn't know isn't acceptable. They as a reseller have the responsibility to provide to you the end customer 100% of what they advertised and for what you have paid for.

If Nokia has misled with its information, then clove need to take that up for themselves.

It will be interesting to see how this resolves keep us posted.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Thanks uktivo.

well Clove said that they agree with my points and arguments and they understand. They then told me to send an email with it all to one of their email addresses and they said that they are going to apperently have some meeting with Nokia in the New Year sometime and that will also be raised.

But still though, wasting time here. There are no 2 ways about it. They mislead and missold (whoever it is, Nokia or Clove).
    To be honest, I do blame Nokia for this because P4U in the UK did a shoddy job at selling the devices and misleading customers all the time. I was a victim of that too. They said "oh yeh, its unlocked. itll work no worries" then found out, its locked. Requested a refund which thankfully went through ok as normally companies these days dont do refunds regardless of your reasons.
    Whether they were trying to make a quick buck.. i dont know. just shows the state of companies and how they operate these days. shocking. its how Microsoft unfortunately get a bad rep when its not even their fault

Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    @Firehawk_1

This awful situation is all because EE had an exclusivity deal to be the only re-sellers of the 920 in the UK. The good news is that that deal is coming to an end in January and as such Nokia will release an update to enable 4G on non EE devices. I know this doesn't change the shoddy treatment you've put up with so far but I'd suggest you wait for the update and not try flashing to an EE ROM.

Thanks WorzelGummage.
    At the end of the day, they released unlocked handsets regardless of it being exclusive to EE. When unlocked, and a customer has an EE 4G plan, they expect for 4G to work on an unlocked device. :)
    once again, no where has it been explained. not even on the nokia UK website. The only thing happening is arguments being built up against them (and whoever else is involved) legally and morally.

nope. This is the response I got from Clove today:

that is pathetic! paid a large amount of money for an unlocked device, only to be told that it does not really support 4G, but it is 4G capable, and to contact nokia to swap it for a locked device (and in black/white) locked to EE.

stupid! waste of my money and such a con.

so not only am I affected but also Expansys and cyberport in germany along with many other unlocked devices.
    WOW.....
    "And of course one of the most demanded features of this device is the 4G/LTE connectivity that you can get (subject to your network)", 920 description from clove.co.uk

I don't know if Clove.co.uk have now changed the Lumia 920 description after this issue. It could be that EE has locked out other LTE from phones, other than EE has sold directly. Or that the phones sold by Clove are international version and EE sells their own version(different LTE with different frequencies, not sure). There are lot's of different 4G/LTE standards around the world, and some carriers use other different frequency bands. What i've read in US Verizon and AT&T LTE phones are not compatible with each others networks. You should have checked from either Clove or EE wheter that version of 920 works on their LTE network before buying.

List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well because I am in the UK and the company is in the UK - it should work in the UK.
    Please dont try and blame the innocent customer here and turn it around on them. im sick of this mentality these days.

I DID check with them. They confirmed and said that yes it will work if you are on an EE network and with the appropriate plan, which I am on.
    im not the only one with the issue. Same deal with Expansys.

im surprised about this whole band spectrum thing because for 3G phones, you can take them anywhere in the world and it will still give you 3G (obviously depending on your location). I would expect the same, not less, with 4G phones. But that isnt the issue here about location...

Quote Originally Posted by BGBrereton View Post
    Well I'm intrigued. How can a device be "4G ready" and yet not support 4G on a particular network? I'd be interested to know what the explanation from Nokia is - are you going to call the careline number?
    Come here to the US and you will see how network providers fool customers. HSPA plus is being tagged as 4G and LTE is tagged as 4G LTE. According to GSM standards LTE is true 4G. I m not sure if carriers are screwing you guys in EU as well. Also not all 4G frequencies are compatible, classic example is T-Mobile USA.

4G ready does not mean 4G active.

However it's confusing, but if you signed a two year 4G contract, why not get a handset with it rather tan go SIM free where your responsible for ensuring everything works.

That said Nokia have stated that your operator and Nokia will do an update to enable 4G, could just be EE won't do this for any devices?

I cant believe people dont understand why there are locked and unlocked devices and why a customer/consumer would want to go for an unlocked one....

Another thing: 4G ready and 4G active - regardless, the customer should be aware in clean and clear writing or documentation. none of that given to plain old joe bloggs. Especially when the customer expects 4G period - not partially active, not activated, active but needs a fart from the bumhole to get it to work.... not the point people :)

4G ready also means "yes, phone is ready for 4G and will work if your network has 4G".... so please, dont butcher the english language :)
    Last edited by firehawk_1; 12-30-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Well because I am in the UK and the company is in the UK - it should work in the UK.
    Please dont try and blame the innocent customer here and turn it around on them. im sick of this mentality these days.

I DID check with them. They confirmed and said that yes it will work if you are on an EE network and with the appropriate plan, which I am on.
    im not the only one with the issue. Same deal with Expansys.

im surprised about this whole band spectrum thing because for 3G phones, you can take them anywhere in the world and it will still give you 3G (obviously depending on your location). I would expect the same, not less, with 4G phones. But that isnt the issue here about location...
    If Clove said that it works on EE's LTE, just get a refund and get some other unlocked phone that works on EE's LTE. Problem solved.

not really. alot of hassle, messing around etc... etc... etc....
    im a man of principals and will take it further :)
    besides you cant get the red color that easily. and now i have the red one. why should i get pushed and shoved around? problem could be the same with the next phone and so on.
    its not down to just this phone, down to pretty much any unlocked 920 phone.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanBB1 View Post
    If Clove said that it works on EE's LTE, just get a refund and get some other unlocked phone that works on EE's LTE. Problem solved.
    My thoughts exactly....

I understand the want for "unlocked" phones BUT if you're gonna take out a SIM ONLY Plan for 2yrs with EE; why not just buy it from EE direct in the first place and not moan you got stung...
    That OR just flash EE ROM and then reflash back to international when it's confirmed 4G is working...

wow. i cannot believe people dont get it.
    ok... nevermind.

from now onwards, i only want serious and wholesome responses please, not just a fob off. if you cannot understand from a CUSTOMERS POV, then do not respond.

Ok. This is getting confusing. Apparantly Expansys uk sells a different version than Clove?
    "The Nokia Lumia 920 features 4G LTE capability. Currently the only network operator providing a 4G LTE network is EE., ..." Nokia Lumia 920 (Black) - Expansys.com UK

"It has come to our attention recently there have been claims of the Nokia Lumia 920 unlocked smartphones sold by Expansys do not have 4G LTE capability. We have looked into this issue and can confirm that any Nokia Lumia 920 phones sold from Expansys will be able to connect to a 4G LTE network. Currently, the only network offering 4G LTE capabilities in the UK is the EE network. So it is not the phone that is missing 4G LTE, it is the network." - Nokia Lumia 920 4G LTE Clarification - Insider Blog - Expansys.com UK

So according to Expansys their Lumia 920's are able to use EE's LTE? Or am I missing something. So does the Lumia 920 from Clove uk differ somehow from the 920 from Expansys uk?

See - this is what im talking about. confusion. facts. lies. misleading. hassle.

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    The op does have a point. There is a lit if confusion over locked, unlocked, sim free etc. More so than any other phone I've purchased.

I do understand the requirement for a totally unlocked handset. I too travel the world an awful lot, China, USA, Europe etc and I have different sims for different areas.. I just have one Skype local number for each country and divert that number to my local sim.. it saves a fortune on call and data costs. To make the most of this you need a fully unlocked, reliable handset.

Op.. I think someone said earlier that from Jan the EE exclusivity ends. It may be easier, I do hope it is, for you to get the correct firmware to your phone to enable the 4G...

uktivo - im glad someone has a great head on their shoulders and understands things correctly and properly. I take my hat off to you for that :)

even if I did not travel around the world - I still have a valid point. If a customer buys an unlocked handset to use within their country (i.e the UK and bought it from a UK outlet) then they should expect to get the full functionality regardless (obviously if the network they are using supports it)

sure, could wait until end of Jan-ish, problem is what if the issue is not resolved? how would I resolve the issue? I know you say to get the correct firmware for the phone but where would I get it from?
    Again - no info from Nokia or Clove for this. Sure I am more technically advanced than "average Joe" but im looking at it from an average Joe point of view.

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    uktivo - im glad someone has a great head on their shoulders and understands things correctly and properly. I take my hat off to you for that :)

even if I did not travel around the world - I still have a valid point. If a customer buys an unlocked handset to use within their country (i.e the UK and bought it from a UK outlet) then they should expect to get the full functionality regardless (obviously if the network they are using supports it)

sure, could wait until end of Jan-ish, problem is what if the issue is not resolved? how would I resolve the issue? I know you say to get the correct firmware for the phone but where would I get it from?
    Again - no info from Nokia or Clove for this. Sure I am more technically advanced than "average Joe" but im looking at it from an average Joe point of view.
    Yep you do seem to have an issue. As you have an EE sim only contract I take it they will not provide the firmware ota update? Not even sure if it's possible to do that.

In your shoes I'd probably look at 3 options.
    1 give up the phone and send it back to clove for a refund under the sale of goods act. (goods must be fit for purpose and perform as advertised)
    2. Do the Nokia route that you were doing with a slim chance they will understand and provide a replacement unit that fits your requirements.
    3. Keep the phone and flash it.. take the risk.

Speak to trading standards. See what they suggest. I know it's a pain but if you want to pursue it I'm afraid this is what you have to do..

One last comment. I come across this type of decision a lot in business. Part of being a good business man is knowing when it's worthwhile pursuing an issue or just cutting your loses. That has been one of the hardest lessons in business I've had to learn. I'm not saying you should give up.. just ask if your time could be better utilised elsewhere. Only you can answer that.. good luck..

thanks. I am a business man too :) I know what you mean believe me on that but too many companies messing around and playing around... not taking it anymore.
    all about rights here and being honest and truthful. a customer pays for something, expects for it to do what it "says on the tin". its not doing that.

im a software developer and well known in the industry developing on the MS stack so for me, its pretty important :)

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    Fully understand.. keep us posted..

Quote Originally Posted by Perus View Post
    If the SIM/plan is verified 4G ready you could try enter/dial ##3282# and then tap the ... settings and change to 4G only in drop list and then back to automatic !important!..it worked for me with the Norwegian variant in Sweden pre-portico though ;)

/Per
    Was just trying to use this code, wonder why it doesn't work on Portico

But your not listening to others opinion if it's not yours. Ready means it's ready to work not working. There's a difference you fail to notice.

Not to mention you aren't answering questions asked of you just insulting other posters. Dilutes your point to a rant.

Actually its the other way around. I don't get why you cant see that and not be helpful

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkyscrum View Post
    But your not listening to others opinion if it's not yours. Ready means it's ready to work not working. There's a difference you fail to notice.

Not to mention you aren't answering questions asked of you just insulting other posters. Dilutes your point to a rant.
    I can see both sides here. "ready" does imply if you insert a sim with a 4g contract attached to it, it should work. Clearly the handset contains all the right electronics but they are not initiated when the sim is inserted. So, on that basis, a better word might have been poised.. lol.., perhaps your requests for help should be directed to EE.. but I fear they will just bounce you back saying you should have got a locked handset.

Still think my comments from earlier still stand. Let's hope Nokia see sense and politely ask EE to initiate your handset with the 4g service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast