Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
  1.    #1  
    Getting tired of developers leaving when is windows phone going to pick up? Tired of not getting apps like other platforms. I feel like sometimes I'm just wasting my time. MS needs to do more. Don't get me wrong I love windows phone. I've been with windows since I first had my first phone.
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 12-24-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Fix title
    jonathanrn likes this.

I don't really see anything essential missing from the platform.. instagram and pandora are the only two, but considering that you have xbox pass and nokia music, pandora is kind of redundant..
  3.    #3  
    Well not just that but everyone wants different apps. I want a mint app, dish network, fox soccer app, and many more like hotschedules, instagram. Everyone has different needs in apps and unless they're on high demand no one is gonna make them.

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    *sigh* Why did you buy a Windows Phone if you were going to be this impatient?
    Thanked by:

Developers follow the money and the fun/praise. Both come from having more users. Something separate from a giant app store attracted you to Windows Phone. Tell your friends what it was that brought you here. If they follow you, and tell their friends, the developers will follow.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    it is just a phone man , just relax ... everything needs time , if you can't enjoy it ,just sell it and get something you like ,believe me you don't want to have an elevated high pressure over a phone !
    Thanked by:

Rome was not built in a day and neither windows phone 8.
    Thanked by:
    albertph, Jed Cutler and T850 like this.

My only gripe is that there isn't Instagram, and even then, that's a minor gripe. I'm a three and a half year iPhone veteran, coming from the first gen iPhone, then making a huge leap with the iPhone 4. I switched to Windows Phone recently and love it. If it had Instagram, it'd be the perfect cake.

Maybe one day we will see Instagram on WP. Until' then, I'll just use my iPhone to browse around when I'm at home.
    xsonwong likes this.

Global Posts
    1,185 Global Posts
    Who left that was important and vital to the platform? Let me know when Rowi leaves, then I'll be upset.

Global Posts
    1,185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LordXaero View Post
    My only gripe is that there isn't Instagram, and even then, that's a minor gripe. I'm a three and a half year iPhone veteran, coming from the first gen iPhone, then making a huge leap with the iPhone 4. I switched to Windows Phone recently and love it. If it had Instagram, it'd be the perfect cake.

Maybe one day we will see Instagram on WP. Until' then, I'll just use my iPhone to browse around when I'm at home.
    Remember Instagram = an iOS social network. It's irrelevant outside of that given there are other photo filter apps.

Global Posts
    537 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    Remember Instagram = an iOS social network. It's irrelevant outside of that given there are other photo filter apps.
    iOS and Android. Fortunately, for WP8 there's Fhotoroom.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zipro View Post
    iOS and Android. Fortunately, for WP8 there's Fhotoroom.

Except the iOS users made it very clear they didn't want the Android users "polluting" THEIR social network.

Global Posts
    537 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    I don't really see anything essential missing from the platform..
    - Dropbox
    - Sonos (phonos sucks)
    - Spotify
    - native Facebook app (not the half-assed one made by Microsoft)
    - Instapaper
    - Slingplayer
    - Google+
    - GMail (and all other Google Apps, for that matter)
    - Tapatalk (board express sucks, too)

From the mainstream apps I use regularly, about half are missing.

That's the reason why I have to continue using my N4 as my daily driver despite the fact that I like my Lumia a lot better.

Global Posts
    1,185 Global Posts
    - Dropbox
    - Sonos (phonos sucks)
    - Spotify
    - Instapaper
    - Slingplayer
    - Google+

That's the reason why I have to continue using my N4 as my daily driver despite the fact that I like my Lumia a lot better.

Spotify is coming, but you can forget about the native Facebook and Google apps.

Tell your developer how strongly you want a windows phone app. Each voice counts.
  16.    #16  
    I was hoping they would catch up sooner I've been with windows since the palm Treo than htc pro than another Treo, htc hd2, htc hd7 and now the 920. I'm very patient.

- Dropbox

- Google+
    If you're tied into Google apps I'd suggest changing ecosystems as Google is dumping all support for WP8 and I don't expect that will change.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    My main problem is we are losing alot of devs who have been on Wp7 and are now bailing on the platform just as WP8 released.

That is my main problem, MS can't keep the devs they already have let alone getting new ones.

- Dropbox
    - Sonos (phonos sucks)
    - Spotify
    - Instapaper
    - Slingplayer
    - Google+

Please don't take this post as Another "You are wrong because you're not a true WP-lover stupid fandroid-dude"-post which unfortunately is overwhelming these forums as of late. But here's my 5 cents.

1. Get rid of your Google-services. I know it's hard, but after a year of hard work, the only Google-service I still use in private is Youtube.

That would make your list:

Dropbox - Skydrive is better in 99% of the cases.
    Sonos - Sorry, I don't use Sonos so I have no alternative for you here.
    Spotify - Is incoming according to Spotify, in the meanwhile you have MetroRadio, Nokia Music and Xbox Music.
    Facebook - What are you missing in the built-in Facebook?
    Instapaper - Never Heard of.
    Slingplayer - Are slingboxes still around?
    Tapatalk - What's wrong with Board Express?

Current Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 Yellow (YAY!!)
    Future Phone:
    Previous Phones: Lumia 800, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, HTC Hero, Iphone 3GS
    Carrier: 3 Sweden
    Thanked by:
    ZiiimZooon likes this.

I'm not sure why people expect a mobile platform with 3% or so market share to compete the other two giants when it comes to apps. Actually, with that market share I think they are doing quite well when it comes to apps in the market. If you bought a WP because if the apps, then that was a mistake. I bought it because I love the platform. Its different from the others which is refreshing. Trust me, if the market share goes up to 15%, then the apps will come if it means more money for the developers.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

The apps I can wait for... But the thing I personally miss the most is a messaging center. I thought the tiles and games (eg wordfeud) were more informative somehow. Push messages are REALLY bad. You'll get the notification, but entering the app (eg JiTalk) the whole thing needs to update, and sometimes it fails.
    I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering exchanging the phone back to Android... Which sucks, since I really wanted to like this thing...

The real truth about apps is, Developers spend years to make a app to ios and they love to update it... in matter of android, you don't need redesign app. just port all ready made ios apps to android and you done... but on WP, you have to redesign the app from scratch, so normally it takes time... so give it WP8 a reasonable time for growth and wait 6-8 months... if after the wait you still miss your kind of apps than nobody stop you to make a thread like this...

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    http://www.change.org/petitions/goog...-windows-phone

Petition for Google apps! This may help remedy our app problem!

Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    *sigh* Why did you buy a Windows Phone if you were going to be this impatient?
    Why would Windows Phone ever get better if you have to consider it perfect to buy one? The "love it or GTFO" attitude is unproductive. WP8 missing these apps is hurting the platform.

Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    Tell your developer how strongly you want a windows phone app. Each voice counts.
    And the only thing that will convice these Devs to support it is solid numbers on WP8 use. We're at less than 5% now, and until that hits double digits, the only way to get brand name apps is for MS to throw money at them.
    This will be my first and last Windows Phone unless Microsoft fixes the completely broken live tile / notification system.

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    OP is right. It's disheartening to see the stories about developers leaving the platform. How often do we see stories about major developers getting on the WP8 train? It's a lot of doom and gloom and it does affect the popularity of the platform. Microsoft needs to do something to head this off. WP8 is a great OS, but it won't survive without developers behind it.

Look at the WP8 launch. Microsoft promised that Pandora (which I could care less about) is coming, along with other major apps. Where is it? Has anyone heard any more? They had to do a kickstarter for a VLC app. How many kickstarter projects have you seen for iPhone and Android apps?

It's a chicken before the egg problem. Developers don't want to take a chance on WP8 until it becomes more popular and it can't really take off as a platform until developers give it some love. I love my Lumia 920 to death, but I swap back to my Note II every so often just to have more options with regards to software. If my Lumia had as many options as my Note II on apps, I doubt I'd ever put it down.

Companies hire developers to make mobile apps. They almost always make an iPhone app first, followed closely by the Android app, and if they have an Intern with some extra time on their hands, they'll have them work on a WP8 app as an afterthought. The same treatment applies to updates for those apps.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast