Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

So I am really trying to stay positive here but the battery is just killing me on my 920. I was hoping that Portico was going to help but so far it has not and may even be worse.
    I am running out of ideas and am hoping someone has an idea for me?
    NFC off
    Bluetooth Off
    Location Off
    Battery saver on
    lockscreen 1 min
    brightness auto
    3 email accounts updating every 15min
    2 background apps - Weave, astronomy lockscreen, and weather but I just deleted that.

With little to no use here is a timeline
    7:55 35% est 3hrs
    7:57 34% est 2hrs
    8:31 28% est 2hrs
    9:45 17% est 7hrs
    9:55 10% est less than 1hr

Any help would be appreciated.

Global Posts
    2,413 Global Posts
    Try turning the phone off and back on. It's always a good idea to reboot the phone after an update.

Wife and I both have 920's. Her phone a couple weeks back would not even last 4 hours on a full charge. She also complained that it was hot all the time. I'm sure you've checked this but just in case. I took her phone and held down the back arrow. There was a ton of apps open on her phone. I showed her how to close apps by hitting the back arrow until she got back to the start screen. She hasn't had a problem since.

I don't know which app she had open that was actively draining her battery so I can't offer advice on that.

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    Have you tried a hard reset?
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    HTC Droid Incredible --> Apple iPhone 4S --> Nokia Lumia 920 --> BlackBerry Z10 --> HTC One --> iPhone 5

Thanks for the quick replies.
    NickA - I have restarted the phone twice now. First time immediately after Portico. Second after deleting a handful of apps.
    Frek - I close down everything all the time as I have been paranoid about open apps and also still getting used to how to multi task in WP8.

Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    Have you tried a hard reset?
    I did a couple weeks ago and it bricked. Been nervous about trying it again.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Lock screen time out, change it to 30 second. For emails, if available, change it to "as item arrived" if not available, set it manually or 2 hours. Lets see how it goes. But first make sure you have battery saver on and drain the battery to 0%, when phone turned off itself, try turning it back on without charge till it actually turned it off itself right after you turned it on. The battery have some memory with charging cycles. Let me know if this help, and once you did all this tasks, charge the battery to the min of 10 hours. It should last longer without charge after a few charges.

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    try changing your email update frequency to as they arrive or a longer duration. I had 4 email accounts updating as they arrive and saw a prettty big improvement by switching two of the less-used accounts to hourly updates. I'd think having it set to every 15 minutes would be worse than having it set to as they arrive, unless you're getting emails every minute.

I set my screen brightness to low and lockscreen to 30 seconds.

I don't have the update yet, but making the changes i listed above really improved my battery. Just yesterday my battery lasted two full days and I plugged in at around 35%. Hope this helps!
    I would see if you can exchange the phone for a new one. I've had mine about a week and the battery life is GREAT compared to my old Android (Evo Shift). This has got to be your particular phone because so far I've been extremelly impressed. Sorry to hear you got a bad one. G'luck.

Try a soft reset first.. It could be a faulty phone as well.. I have had random instances where it seems an app gets stuck the phone gets warm at the top and the battery drains. I was hoping that the latest update would fix that.. Have you updated all the other Nokia apps etc posted on wpcentral? There have been multiple Nokia updates as of late.

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    The battery drain you're experiencing is the worse I've ever seen. I don't know if hard reseting the device will brick it again with portico or what but I want to know the battery drain of just the phone without apps
    HTC Droid Incredible --> Apple iPhone 4S --> Nokia Lumia 920 --> BlackBerry Z10 --> HTC One --> iPhone 5

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    This has got to be a faulty phone. I don't think any amount of fixing or tweaking is going to change that. Take it back and get a non f'ed one

All my apps are up to date.
    Below is the reply I received from Nokia regarding battery issues.
    With regard to your concern about the battery life of your device and how it is being calculated as you are using your phone in the same patterns, we would like to inform you that there are a lot of factors why batteries drain fast. It will always depend on your usage and as it is a smart phone there are a lot of feature that may affect this. Kindly refer to the following for the probable reasons:

1. Nokia Drive offers a gives you free, turn-by-turn voice-guided navigation with additional features like speed limit warnings. To prevent any extra consumption of the device battery after completing the navigation, it is recommended to leave the Nokia Drive by using the back key (the arrow sign on the bottom left corner of the phone).
    2. Some applications and games (for example Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Star Wars) can drain the battery quite fast if left running in the background. When not using the app or playing the game please close the app using the Back key.
    3. Email synchronization frequency. Make sure that in email settings (for example with Gmail) "Download new content" is not set on ‘as mail arrives’. Switch it to 15 mins, 30 mins etc.

Since there are many features in your Nokia Lumia phone increase the demand on battery power and reduce the battery life time. We suggest that to save battery power, please note of the following:

1. Turn on Battery Saver. Select Settings > battery saver. Note when Battery Saver is on, your phone will no longer: automatically receive email and calendar updates, update some Live Tiles and allow apps to run in the background.
    2. When you have finished with an application or a game to navigate away, please use the Back key as this will close the app rather than leaving it active in the background.
    3. Set the screen switch off after 30 seconds. On the start screen, swipe left, and select Settings > Lock+wallpaper (lock screen) > Screen times out.
    4. Reduce the screen brightness. Select Settings > brightness > Level. Disable the automatic feature first. The brightness level also affects the Automatically adjust functionality.
    5. Use network connections selectively. For example, if the signal strength of the mobile network varies much in your area, your phone must scan for the available network repeatedly. This increases the demand on battery power. If the 3G connection is on in the mobile network settings, your phone searches for the 3G network. To switch off the 3G connection, select Settings > mobile network, and deactivate the 3G connection.
    6. Switch Bluetooth on only when you need it. Select Settings > Bluetooth.
    7. Use a WiFi connection to connect to the internet, rather than a mobile data (GPRS or 3G) connection. Stop your phone scanning for available Wi-Fi networks if those are not available. Select Settings > WiFi > Off.
    8. When you are finished taking a picture, press the Back key to exit the camera viewfinder.
    9. Reduce the frequency of email synchronization. Select Settings > email+accounts > YourEmail > Download new content.
    10. Switch off location services if not needed – so the phone will not look up your location frequently in the background. Select Settings > location > Off.
    11. Disable unnecessary background applications. Especially Lumia 810, 820, 822 and 920 users; please check that Nokia Drive+ Beta app is blocked (set to Off) in background tasks. On the start screen, swipe left, and select Settings, from settings swipe left to Applications tab > Background tasks.
    12. Use wired headphones, rather than the loudspeaker.
    13. Switch off unwanted sounds and functions, for example Vibrate. Select Settings > ringtones+sounds.
    14. Switch off “connect with Xbox LIVE” when not needed. Select Xbox LIVE > Settings > Connect with Xbox LIVE.
    15. Ensure your phone's battery is fully charged. Check Settings > battery saver > battery information.

Note 1: It is recommended to use the original charger found in the sales package to charge the battery of your phone.

Note 2: Make sure that your phone is running the latest software to get battery related improvements. Please check also that your phone apps are up-to-date.

We also recommend the following link for the extend battery life of the Nokia Lumia 920:
    http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/p...=1354626935489

If the battery still drains faster even there is no active feature or applications, we suggest to try the following:

a. Try to switch Off the power and then switch back On.
    b. Remove all the accounts that you have set up (except Microsoft account which requires a factory reset) and reconfigure them.
    c. Reboot your device by pressing and holding your phone for 8 to 10 seconds and then enable airplane mode for 30 minutes then disable airplane mode. Doing this should reset the battery monitor to ensure the full capacity of the battery is available to you.
    Thanked by:

So far those three email accounts all checking for updates every 15 minutes seems to be the culprit. Ironically, I've read that you kill the battery faster by having your emails check every 15 minutes than say, having them pushed as they come in. If your emails don't have push notifications then set them for 2 hrs or even manually.

I have a Cyan and will probably end up exchanging it as soon as more Cyans come available. Not that it matters but I also have the loose fit at the top of the phone between the poly and the glass. I can make it click by pressing down on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaulerX View Post
    So far those three email accounts all checking for updates every 15 minutes seems to be the culprit. Ironically, I've read that you kill the battery faster by having your emails check every 15 minutes than say, having them pushed as they come in. If your emails don't have push notifications then set them for 2 hrs or even manually.
    I used to have it set that way but switched it per Nokia's advice in the above email.

Quote Originally Posted by tkuhe View Post
    I have a Cyan and will probably end up exchanging it as soon as more Cyans come available. Not that it matters but I also have the loose fit at the top of the phone between the poly and the glass. I can make it click by pressing down on it.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Contact Nokia and ask for a replacement since it's under warranty.

Must be something wrong with settings or you need to replace the phone. Mine is performing well before and now even better.

My first 920 had the same creek at the top, brought it back to ATT and they exchanged it saying that it was a defect. Got my second one and it was fine for a couple of weeks but now its starting again. I think its the heat at the top of the phone starting to disfigure the plastic back

Quote Originally Posted by MaulerX View Post
    I have 3 accounts all set to check every 15 minutes and don't drain battery abnormally at all. I get plenty of email all day as well.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    It depends on the service on the backend.. If the mail provider supports EAS (Exchange Active Sync) then the answer is you will get the best efficiency using "As items arrive". If they dont support EAS it you may be better served using every 30 min or hour. Just another great reason to use outlook.com ;-)

EAS is a pretty impressive solution.. in fact I would say MS did "innovate" when they engineered the push technology over HTTPS.... :) They get little credit for this..

So after reading this forum i decided to do a soft reset, just for the **** of it, I was already getting good battery use out of my L920. So prior to the soft reset the battery info was 45% time since last charge 20 hours, thats with internet, phone calls, texts, music, control radio, etc usage which to me is pretty good. Anyway the results after the reset my battery dropped to 28%, anyway Im not complaining, I absolutely love this phone just thought I'd share my experiment with you guys.

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    I'm on my 3rd cyan model and this is the one Nokia sent me. My battery life was pretty good with this one but after updating yesterday and making sure EVERYTHING was off I can say that the update is killing my battery. My phone was dead by 1130 today. Under light to moderate use. On Wednesday my phone lasted until 8pm under heavy abuse . This was before the update. I swear switching to wp8 and Nokia was the worse thing I've done all year.

So....my email both Hotmail & Gmail (with EAS setup) should both be set to 'As Items Arrive' rather than manual or set frequency for better battery life???

How does that work?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast