- 01-18-2013, 07:34 PM #253
- 01-24-2013, 12:17 PM #254
I actually just did a random update check and it found some, how do I know if it's Portico ? (it stayed glued as Serpico on my memory sack :)) ) and it's Romania mind you..
15 minutes later, still preparing to install..
Last edited by DFB; 01-24-2013 at 12:31 PM.
01-29-2013, 05:00 AM #258
- 37 Posts
Updated to Portico yesterday. All went and is going very well. Definitely some minor improvements in many areas.
I don't see the VPN feature that was rumored to be included. What a pain, when we will get one? Is there anything I could do to use a VPN on WP8?
- 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM #259
Purchased unbranded and unlocked Nokia 920 in December.
Continual much reported rebooting issue until in early January it rebooted then crashed never to boot up again. It would boot up to the Nokia logo screen then a blue windows screen with no Windows Phone logo, then just go back to a rebooting cycle.
Took it to Nokia Care who flashed it with the Portico update. Lost all my photos as Skydrive cleverly set to upload sh1tty low res images. Booted up the phone again and no info about using skydrive backup to restore phone so had to reinstall/reconfigure all apps. Gotta say, no local backup option is a joke.
No random reboots occurring after Portico update and photos are noticeably better quality than before. Also figured out that if I change phone region to U.S. it allows the syncing of full res images and video to Skydrive - why this is only available in the US region setup I don't know...
Today however, I went to check my phone... dead. Had to hold the volume down/lock for what seemed like 20 seconds to get it back to life. Must have been a severe crash as phone date and time were set back to 1st Sep 2012 00:00.
I really want to like WP8 - the design and UI is excellent along with many other features others have mentioned. But it is hard work. Yes iOS is boring and not as well integrated as WP8 however I will give it until Apollo+ to sort out these issues as a smartphone is a tool that needs to be reliable and WP8 is anything but.
02-01-2013, 05:04 AM #260
- 49 Posts
- 02-08-2013, 01:35 AM #263
After exchanging my new phone for battery issues, and it's freezing issues. I've noticed that Portico runs fine and I'm hesitant to update the Nokia settings and stuff showing up because my battery has been great since and I'm afraid that updating those will kill my battery again.
02-08-2013, 09:09 AM #266
- 11 Posts
Just in case it helps somebody else - my phone kept getting really hot and burning through battery after Portico so I did a couple of things. One was to adjust the brightness to auto (it was set to high) - I believe that's fairly common. The other was to turn apps off that were working in the background all the time (CNN, Weather apps etc.) - the latter has made a massive difference. I just have BBC, Battery and Network Dashboard now, no problems. One of the main drains seemed to be gMaps
- 02-10-2013, 06:13 PM #268
Sorry to hear about your issues Have you check your background apps list If you have a whole bunch of background apps that can affect your bttery life. Also if your receptions not great or marginal that can be a real drainer. Haven't experienced any issues with battery life myself except in marginal reception areas. I also have a car charger, a charger at the office, and one at home.Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!
02-12-2013, 04:31 AM #269
- 22 Posts
I have had a complete nightmare since the Portico update (UK EE contract) The first firmware that I Ieft the phone to download was seemingly corrupt, constant jamming re-booting, every problem you can imagine. Downloaded the firmware from Navi and flashed myself and that created even more problems, corrupted graphics, freezing, re-booting. I am now waiting for UPS to collect it.. never had to do this with a phone before, very disappointed as I always associated Nokia with quality. Not exactly a great start with Windows, will make me think twice when this phone comes to be replaced. Makes me appreciate my old Iphone as I could have had this matter sorted in hours by visiting the apple store. Really hope the turnaround is quick now and that when it returns it gives me no further issues.
02-12-2013, 08:12 AM #270
- 376 Posts
1. Wallet is now fully enabled (this may have been the reason for the recent store outages, so a coincidence, but I can now choose to use my mobile bill for app purchases - haven't tried it yet though)
2. Call reject to SMS is not enabled on incoming call screen but option exists in phone settings
3. OS version unchanged - 8.0.10211.204
4. Either ENS is enabled in this ROM or the ENS setting survives a reflash
General performance (signal, battery) appear unchanged but a few hours isn't really enough to be conclusive. I am pretty sure that the phone is running cooler, and I am not catching it looking for it's location as frequently, but this could just be coincidence.
- 02-12-2013, 08:22 AM #272Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.
- 02-12-2013, 08:22 AM #273Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.
- By Ultimateone in forum Nokia Lumia 822Replies: 13Last Post: 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM
- By GomzyRockz in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 2Last Post: 12-18-2012, 02:59 PM
- By Coolknight1968 in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 4Last Post: 12-13-2012, 10:35 AM
- By amarshonarbangla in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 1Last Post: 12-12-2012, 09:22 PM
- By Glenn Penzone in forum HTC 8XReplies: 8Last Post: 12-12-2012, 05:01 PM