Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By TonyDedrick
  • 1 Post By theefman

Did a search for this and I didn't see anything similar in the 920 forum, so I thought I'd share my thoughts, as a 920 user.

Review: HTC 8X is the best Windows Phone 8 handset out there (Updated) | Ars Technica

I'll quote their good, bad & ugly wrap-up from the end.

Good
    • Screen is bright and crisp with nice color distribution
    • Performance is fluid and quick throughout the OS
    • Speaker is loud and produces good sound
    • Body design is fantastic, feels great to hold
    • Camera takes nice shots

Bad

• Battery life is on the short side
    • Hardware buttons are shallow so it's hard to feel the press

Ugly

• The Windows Phone store is still foundering in the shoals and has been for a year now, and we're really wondering when—or even if—it will get the traction it needs

First of all, the review is poor. It states that the 8x is the best handset for Windows Phone 8, and then proceeds to be fairly negative about pretty much everything involved. Secondly, it does very little to compare the 8x to it's most likely comparison, the 920. People in the comments pointed that out and they added a link to where they compare the two in a completely different article, but it makes a lot of sense to compare the two when you are calling one the best handset on the platform.

The only comparison the author really made in the review was based on the build of the phone. Body, size & weight. These are very subjective and personal to anyone, which makes basing which phone is "better" on these criteria ridiculous. While, x is faster than y is always good or a has a more detailed screen than b is always good, C is bigger than D is not always bad.

Personally, I love the size of my 920. When I picked it up for the first time, I do agree it felt heavy to me. However, in the time I've had it I've completely grown accustomed to it and don't consider it heavy or bulky or awkward at all. In fact, on the rare occasion when I pick up my old 3GS I feel like it's WAY too small.

So, when discounting the personal preference of size, and including factors like price & memory I don't see how anyone could call the 8x the best Windows Phone.

Thoughts?

I CANT STAND when reviewers state that phones are better because they are lighter. ARGH!

Based on whatever criteria you use, the idea of what is the best phone is subjective. What makes the 920 great to use might be negatives for Joe Schmoe. That goes for any phone. So in the end, its subjective and who cares? Just enjoy your phone and don't stress about other's opinions
    Muessig and jdhooghe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    Based on whatever criteria you use, the idea of what is the best phone is subjective. What makes the 920 great to use might be negatives for Joe Schmoe. That goes for any phone. So in the end, its subjective and who cares? Just enjoy your phone and don't stress about other's opinions
    While I agree with your sentiment, enjoy your phone and don't stress, I don't necessarily agree with the idea that all reviews are subjective.

You could make a statement regarding best handset based on speed, memory size, screen quality, camera quality, call quality, etc. All those things are measurable and not debatable, with the possible exception of camera quality.

I honestly don't know all the spec of the 8x, so I don't know how the two phones compare in every way. What I do know is my 920 was $100 cheaper for what seemed like a comparable device. That's all I needed to make my decision final. (even though I was leaning 920 before I learned prices)

Global Posts
    2,332 Global Posts
    Selling my 920 NAOW!!!!!
    jdhooghe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by awsman View Post
    While I agree with your sentiment, enjoy your phone and don't stress, I don't necessarily agree with the idea that all reviews are subjective.

You could make a statement regarding best handset based on speed, memory size, screen quality, camera quality, call quality, etc. All those things are measurable and not debatable, with the possible exception of camera quality.

I honestly don't know all the spec of the 8x, so I don't know how the two phones compare in every way. What I do know is my 920 was $100 cheaper for what seemed like a comparable device. That's all I needed to make my decision final. (even though I was leaning 920 before I learned prices)
    Well yes, one phone might have better specs than another on paper and in that general sense, you could qualify one product as being better than another in relation to those specs. But at the end of the day, its what you ultimately measure as being the best to you.

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    selling my 920 naow!!!!!
    lol

The reason to comment on these reviews is that they do influence potential buyers.