Ok - I had a bricked Lumia 820 that got into a continuous gear-wheel display after an OS software update. I left the phone overnight for this to clear and it didn't - I then embarked on various reset actions which sometimes put it in flash mode (lighning icon and gear wheel combined) and sometimes returned it to spinning gears display. Looking on-line I was directed towards "Navifirm Plus" and Nokia Care Suite (NCS) to re-flash the phone. First piece of advise is don't try to implement any corrective work in this respect using a 64-bit PC. For whatever reason I wasted a lot of time trying to re-flash using the on-line examples (and there are many) from my 64-bit laptop - it just didn't work. After moving to my 32bit PC I downloaded NCS.
Version 4.00(2012.31.1) of the Nokia Care Suite (NCS) seems to negate the need for Navifirm Plus as it has a full download and flash tool integrated in it so don't worry about Navifirm - I didn't need it.
Here's what I did from my 32-bit PC!
- Download and run NCS Version 4.00[2012.31.1] (or above I assume)
- Select "Product Support Tool For Store 5.0" from the main screen
- Select "Programming" from the bottom left of the Product Support Tool screen
- Select "Recovery"
- Click "Find online..." in the recovery screen
- Note:, my Nokia was a SIM free unbranded and I had to take a guess at the right firmware and went for the version that was coded "059R096" and to all intents and purposes I got it right. I will update this post if I find gremlins later!
- It's a 1.25Gb download so make tea and stock up on snacks.
- Note: My phone showed 'no connection' in the top right of the Product Support Tool all the way through this procedure - it doesn't seem to need to 'connect' to flash.
- The download will... download and then follow the on-screen prompts that walk you through a phone reboot and a flash upgrade.
- Brick, unbricked. I was soooo relieved!
The whole process took me about 20mins including download time after 9hrs of button combination pressing and battery dumping etc etc - so hope this entry helps someone else.