Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prjkthack View Post
    Wi-Fi isn't staying on for me, and considering that the update to make Wi-Fi stay on was an WP8 operating system update (as was detailed in a recent news post), and not an app update, I doubt that those who are experiencing Wi-Fi staying on is because of this random Nokia app update. Probably just a random occurance that keeps Wi-Fi connected, because we certainly don't know exactly under what conditions Wi-Fi decides to connect and reconnect.
    I agree, but something is keeping my WiFi on, and the only thing I did was install the update to extras+info and reboot.

Its odd but I don't mind the results lol

And I'm not streaming or doing anything with my phone, just locking the screen and setting it down.

So yeah, did the update and rebooted the phone. Locked it for a few minutes, unlocked it, and watched Wifi reconnect
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PG2G View Post
    So yeah, did the update and rebooted the phone. Locked it for a few minutes, unlocked it, and watched Wifi reconnect
    I dunno what's causing my phenomenon

Quote Originally Posted by irvin792 View Post
    lol im positive its plugged in, the phone scared me when it gave me the email notification as it just sat there. and no its not on a wireless charger either.......lol
    Yes, don't you understand? When the phone is plugged in, it will always stay connected to WiFi. It has always been this way.

Do this, cell data off, WiFi on, unplug your phone from the charger, wait about 10 mins, check. If your WiFi is still on, then we're on to something.

And regarding streaming music, if you start streaming on WiFi, it will continue streaming on WiFi for as long as it is still streaming.

That was the trick of apps that keep WiFi alive. They tricked the phone to think it was constantly streaming music.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holzlondon View Post
    Yes, don't you understand? When the phone is plugged in, it will always stay connected to WiFi. It has always been this way.

Do this, cell data off, WiFi on, unplug your phone from the charger, wait about 10 mins, check. If your WiFi is still on, then we're on to something.

And regarding streaming music, if you start streaming on WiFi, it will continue streaming on WiFi for as long as it is still streaming.

That was the trick of apps that keep WiFi alive. They tricked the phone to think it was constantly streaming music.
    it was suppose to say not plugged in, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by irvin792 View Post
    it was suppose to say not plugged in
    Aha, my bad. Well, testing it myself now too.

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    Changed title of thread

Well, tested mine, doesn't stay connected. Shame, will have to wait for Portico...

Quote Originally Posted by holzlondon View Post
    And regarding streaming music, if you start streaming on WiFi, it will continue streaming on WiFi for as long as it is still streaming.That was the trick of apps that keep WiFi alive. They tricked the phone to think it was constantly streaming music.
    That is good to know, I suppose I misunderstood the posts ive read. I for the life of me cannot fathom a problem with an idle wifi connection disconnecting but apparently it is an issue for some. I am glad for them that it will be resolved in the near future.

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    Mine is still staying on lol

Mine aren't stay connected.
    It'll reconnect as usual.

I did update the latest extra+info this morning.

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    People here are so rude, just because your device isn't staying connected it doesn't mean others aren't. This isn't an android forum so please stop with the arrogance. And fyi, my 920 stays connected. And NO its not charging
    Thanked by:
    My wifi is staying on :D

Extras+info should keep the wifi online for 10 minutes after turning the screen off, also there will be more options to these wifi settings with portico update.

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason De Castro View Post
    People here are so rude, just because your device isn't staying connected it doesn't mean others aren't. This isn't an android forum so please stop with the arrogance. And fyi, my 920 stays connected. And NO its not charging
    agree

I did test my Lumia again and I found that, the WiFi stay connected for some period (assume that not more than 10 minutes).
    Then it turn off as usual.

For me, I never said that the OP is lying or fool us.
    But, you share your experienced, and I do share mine.

Maybe, I need to wait for MS update. - -'

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Hey! My wifi is staying on too! I didn't even notice until this post.

Thanks Irvin792!

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    Okay so last nights phenomenon was all happening at my home, I'm gonna see if it stays on at my work now too. I will report what happens.
    Thanked by:

ok. So I figured I will chime in as well. Perhaps its just a coincidence, but here is whats happening with me.

Almost every day I listen to music streaming through Nokia Music at work. The phone is never plugged in or on a wireless charger. While using the company wifi, the music would stop after a few mins in play while in standby. Every single time that music would stop playing and the wifi would be disconnected, unless I used my phones data connection.

Today I updated extras+info on the phone. I did not reboot, but simply updated/installed and tried to stream in wifi. After 5mins in standby the music stopped playing and my wifi connection was not connected. Now here is where it gets interesting--I powered down the phone and powered back up. While playing Nokia music again--the connection has yet to disconnect and has been playing for the last 35mins.

I honestly, am not sure what is driving this. Just thought it was interesting that I have been doing the same activity almost every day for almost a month and the music would stop. Now today it keeps playing on wifi. Just my thoughts... Not sure what the deal is.
    Last edited by o1legacygt; 12-13-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: update- tested longer and wifi turned off and mobile network was being used again

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    Okay so it is staying on after initial connection at work too.

This is great. Was locked and idle for over an hour.

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    Try to test this out people :)

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    i tested out my device. even restarted it before the the test. every 30min my email settings are set to push notification to me, so saying i get an email after 30min with my screen locked doesnt mean my wifi is still on. it's going to do that anyway. but i did wait 20min and wake my phone with the power button. the wifi icon was up and full on the lock screen. but after i unlocked the screen the wifi icon would go away and come back with no signal then like 3sec later it would have full signal again. that means it's reconnecting every time.

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    Lol my WiFi no longer is staying connected ..... Fricken odd
    My wifi is not staying connected. I let my phone sit there for 10 minutes, and afterwards I opened it up, the Wifi Symbol was grey and not white then it started to look for a signal.

I figured I'd give this a test also and it appears mine isn't staying connected either after the update and a restart.

I ran a ping test and locked the screen. It managed to respond about a dozen times before it started timing out. I woke the phone and after about a second or two the pings resumed. Once I locked it again the above pattern repeated. It seems to only stay active for about a minute or less.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast