Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Isn't Nokia in a close partnership with Microsoft?

Also, I thought Microsoft was going around the carriers with Windows Phone 8? I'm looking at the news stories about the OTA and people on AT&T say they don't have the update yet and that only international, unbranded handsets are getting it so far.

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    No. Microsoft is in line with Nokia and HTC. It's not Microsoft's fault Nokia is taking it's sweet time
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    HTC Droid Incredible --> Apple iPhone 4S --> Nokia Lumia 920 --> BlackBerry Z10 --> HTC One --> iPhone 5
    Hiiiiiiiii likes this.

OTA updates usually occur in phases and get pushed gradually to devices instead of being available for everyone immediately.

Why first on HTC 8X? Who knows. Maybe simply because there are way more few those devices out there than Lumia 920's so if the update brings some unforeseen problems, they **** less people off with that update.
    ALpHa.Q.RoUgH likes this.

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    OTA updates usually occur in phases and get pushed gradually to devices instead of being available for everyone immediately.

Why first on HTC 8X? Who knows. Maybe simply because there are way more few those devices out there than Lumia 920's so if the update brings some unforeseen problems, they **** less people off with that update.
    That's actually a reasonable explanation.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
    That's actually a reasonable explanation.
    I thought it was a naive and smug explanation. The most likely answer is that the HTC 8x has a more severe reboot issue than the 920 (thankfully not mine) so it has priority, and they send the update in waves so servers don't get bogged, or worse, crash with everyone trying to download at the same time.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....Looking forward to going back Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x (iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!
    Hiiiiiiiii likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    I thought it was a naive and smug explanation. The most likely answer is that the HTC 8x has a more severe reboot issue than the 920 (thankfully not mine) so it has priority, and they send the update in waves so servers don't get bogged, or worse, crash with everyone trying to download at the same time.
    I did not meant to sound smug. I only know that with Symbian, Nokia always pushed OTA updates in phases where some countries got their updates before others and occasionally the updates were pulled back because of unexpected problems in the updates. Server load point was occasionally given as the reason for that, but so was the FW testing.
    snowmutt likes this.

maybe because lumia has more features to update. they add it to the new version of software. such as camera or improve battery life ?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by decheng1218 View Post
    maybe because lumia has more features to update. they add it to the new version of software. such as camera or improve battery life ?
    I'd figure that as the most likely version. If they did more modifications it may delay the update a bit.

Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Didn't the article on the home page already answer this? That the update is available first for unlocked 8X phones because there's no carrier testing required?
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Palm Tungsten T > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Hero > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > LG Quantum > Nokia Lumia 920 > iPhone 5S

Doesn't quite explain why my unlocked 920 hasn't gotten the upgrade ;)

I think we can expect some Nokia specific updates (camera at least) coming also with this one.
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    I did not meant to sound smug. I only know that with Symbian, Nokia always pushed OTA updates in phases where some countries got their updates before others and occasionally the updates were pulled back because of unexpected problems in the updates. Server load point was occasionally given as the reason for that, but so was the FW testing.
    Well, that makes more sense. The other way you put it came across as a Nokia fan putting down HTC phones. I apologize.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....Looking forward to going back Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x (iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    Well, that makes more sense. The other way you put it came across as a Nokia fan putting down HTC phones. I apologize.
    Overly defensive HTC 8X user?
    theefman likes this.

because Nokia has been stealing all the apps so we get the updates :) and incase you forgot lol, the HTC 8X is Microsofts official Windows Phone 8 phone, it's flagship device ;) haha

Quote Originally Posted by luk3ja View Post
    because Nokia has been stealing all the apps so we get the updates :) and incase you forgot lol, the HTC 8X is Microsofts official Windows Phone 8 phone, it's flagship device ;) haha
    But seriously - as a 920 user, this is one of the things we enjoy smugly lording over 8X users :) Although the real test will be getting it through the carriers.

So, if HTC gets the update first the are a test bed or a guinea pig, but if Nokia got it first then its ULTIMATE UBER SUPPORT FOR NOKIA......right.....I like the way people spin these things.

Like I said many times before, it's HTC and not Nokia who provides most updates first (for unlocked phones at least).

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    The simple and most likely answer is that HTC was done with their part, Nokia isn't.
    Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express
    I carry a fleet!
    AT&T
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Lumia 900
    HTC 8X
    iPhone 4S

Now featuring more Sprint!
    HTC EVO 4G LTE

How's that for a geek pathology!
    Reflexx and The Spectacle like this.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    If microsoft pushed the update to nokia users first, other companies like htc and samsung and their users would say tha microsoft is taking nokia side and gave nokia advantages, due to their agreement ... maybe

On the upside, if they can get this out quickly and it fixes a lot of the issues, this is very important to squash the issues. It still doesn't help with other complaints, but may stop people returning their devices for software items.

Pretty simple: Remember the HTC phones were unveiled as "Signature" devices, which means they're officially the leading products, the ones Microsoft oversee closely. You can expect OS updates to always come to the 8X first from now on. Not a big deal, Nokia users get their fair share of advantages.
    snowmutt likes this.

They're doing it alphabetically, or maybe by weight, or or or ok I'm done. Every company has different roll out strategies. At mine we rollout to a small group of dealers first which serve as our guinea pigs. You don't want to be the guinea pig.
    snowmutt likes this.

Global Posts
    545 Global Posts
    HTC is a Signature Phone for Windows Phone....IMO.

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    What evidence is there that the HTC 8X is the flagship signature leading device thing? It seems to me both the 8X and 920 got equal attention from Microsoft.

I really don't see the point in making a new thread for every little tiny bit of question that comes to mind with these phones.

Sure we all like to discuss everything, but this just sets a new low.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast