Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I'm just curious.

Having come from a Galaxy Nexus I can say my signal is worse :(
    My signal fluctuates from 1 bar to 4 (its never full now) and heavily fluctuates between 3G and H

Can firmware updates fix this kind of thing?
    Regards
    SpencerUk

It is significantly better for me. I couldn't even hold a phone call in my house or office before on my iPhone.

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Coming from skyrocket the signal seems better in the Lumia. Also at work, I can connect via WiFi in spots where my old phone couldn't.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    My signal is significantly better than my previous phones (Galaxy S, HTC Inspire, iPhone 4, Note 1, Note 2, Galaxy S3, and HTC One X).

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    Way better than any of my previous iPhones. WiFi and cellular.

much better than Lumia 900.

Same spot,
    Lumia 900 = 2 - 3 bar (LTE)
    Lumai 920 = 4 - full (LTE)

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I honestly can't figure out why mine is worse.

I'm in the city center and I can just about manage 4 bars. Signal fluctuates heavily between 2 and 4 whilst on H.
    My colleague sat next to me has his Lumia 800 on EE (Orange UK) and gets full signal. What gives?

Any ideas folks?
    Regards
    SpencerUk

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerUk View Post
    I honestly can't figure out why mine is worse.

I'm in the city center and I can just about manage 4 bars. Signal fluctuates heavily between 2 and 4 whilst on H.
    My colleague sat next to me has his Lumia 800 on EE (Orange UK) and gets full signal. What gives?

Any ideas folks?
    Lumia 800 does not support HSDPA Dual Carrier technology, like 920. Do the math. ;)

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loukkis View Post
    Lumia 800 does not support HSDPA Dual Carrier technology, like 920. Do the math. ;)
    I can ask the other 40 people in the office who have different phones (Galaxy S 3, iPhone 5, Note 2, etc) and they don't have the same issues.

I even brought my backup 8S in today (to show to some other folks) and that doesn't have signal issues with the same card it stays consistent.
    Death grip?
    Regards
    SpencerUk

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Previous device: HTC Titan
    Conclusion: Way better reception through out, WiFi full bars at all times and network reception is also alot better.
    Device: Nokia Lumia 920 (Black)
    Firmware: 8.0.10517.150
    Network: Tele2 Sweden

500px:
    @LostMySelf
    Instagram:
    @lightness90
    Not much difference between the Lumia 900/Titan III and the Lumia 920/8X as far as cellular performance goes. I do think wifi performance is better with the newer phones though.
    George Ponder
    Reviews Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: george.ponder@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @coppertop004

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Coming from the 900 I'd say it's about the same which was better than the Titan I had before the 900.

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    At my apt my iPhone had better reception but by Coney island Brooklyn where I work the l920 has better reception

Better than SG3..

Its about the same as my N9, IIRC the SGS3 had better signal, but iunno, Ill have to test when Clove sends me my replacement phone or my old phone back.

Way better reception at my house with my 920. My old Atrix could barely even send a SMS the signal was so horrible, and now I am usually on H+. In town, I get a consistant 4 - 5 bars of LTE. Wifi is way better as well, because it will actually stay connected to the wifi.

I also had a Nexus, but I'm in the opposite boat. I consistently have better reception than I did with the Nexus. I had every single stereotypical problem that Nexus users had: poor reception, signal drop-off, bad multitouch.... but back on point, no- I have better reception with the Nokia 920.

IPhone 3GS: Reception basically the same, WiFi is a lot better on 920. Can grab from really far distances.

Way better for me, used to get 3g consistently on my Omnia 7 while at home and on my 920 it is always H.

sometimes while out it will say H+ which I never got on my Omnia 7.

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    The 920 blows my Titan away.

Im on Orange, sorry EE and I was finding that it kept loosing signal for a moment then coming back to G, 3G, H or H+, also text messages kept failing and I had to resend. The thing that has solved it for me is to going in to the mobile network in settings and put highest connection speed to 3G (it was on 4G as standard) - this has solved it for me as I suspect it was looking for 4G connections and loosing the other connections, and as I dont have 4G in my area, it was no good to me anyway.

Hope this helps.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    My last two phones (N9 and iPhone 5) were both significantly better than my 920..

N9 so far has had the best reception out of any phone I've ever owned.. The 920 is a bit of a letdown in this regard..

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Mine is definitely better. There is a Target that I go to that seems to block reception in the far corner of the store. Every phone I have ever taken there, including HTCs, iPhone 5, Samsungs, etc. get almost no service in the back corner. We're talking no bars and no data download. The 920 holds onto 2 bars of 4G and a speed test shows over 1 Mbps in that location.

My Galaxy Nexus dropped the cell connection completely there and all of my other Samsungs and iPhones would get no data at all. Maybe Motorola would do better, but I stopped buying their phones after the original Droid and the bootloader locking and slow updates became the norm for them.

TL:DR - My 920 is better than any other phone I have owned, and I have had many of them.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I had a Sprint HTC EVO, the 3G is slower and 4G hard to find. I could never get a good cell signal in my office because my office is like a bunker with no windows. Although call quality outside and in normal locations is fine.
    But with my new L920 from AT&T, I always have LTE on and speed is very fast. Cell signal inside my office is very good too! No more noise or interference.
    Very happy with my switch so far.

Generally better outdoors, but significantly worse indoors. This can be carrier related, not the phone.. (was at TMO, then moved to ST:ATT)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast