I wanted to share my initial thoughts of the phone, and the problems I've been having with it. I know there are a bunch of threads out there that cover a lot of the bugs and issues, but it seems like a lot of people are pointing out isolated issues. For me, there is a lot to like here, but there is a lot more about the current state of my Nokia 920 that makes it not usable at this point. Anyhow...

Two days ago, I received my brand new Nokia - I got it through a hardware upgrade from Rogers. After playing around with my friend's old Windows 7 phone based Nokia, I found that I really liked both the user interface and the feel of the hardware. Anyhow, like all the 920s from Rogers, the unit I received in the mail was a 32GB black version.

To start things off, I actually couldn't turn the phone on - At first, I thought it was out of juice, so I plugged it into the wall and charged it for half an hour. After I still couldn't get it to power on with the power button, I took to the interwebs and managed to finally get the phone to power up by holding down the volume down button and the power button for 10 seconds. The phone vibrated in my hand, and I was off to the races. During the first time I was setting the phone up, I couldn't get past the end user license agreement screen for some reason, so I did a software reset and started again; the second time, I was able to get to the home screen. At this point, my battery life was at 60%, but we'll get back to that in a bit.

At this point (after the initial setup of my phone), I noticed that my handset was getting extremely warm; especially around the top of the phone. Other than that, I proceeded to setup my phone, adding e-mail accounts and such. At some point when I was typing in a password my phone suddenly locked up. It just hung, with the O that I had in my password still highlighted on the touch keyboard. After half a minute of not being able to get out of the lock, I resorted to doing a reset of the phone. The rogers screen came up, then the nokia screen, windows screen, and finally my home screen again - My phone was really hot right now, so I decided to take to the web again and this time found a bunch of heat and battery issues. After doing some reading, I decided to do a complete re-install of the latest firmware (which my device had already), so I picked up my device, which I could probably describe as being "hot". The phone was completely off. I couldn't turn it on either. Well, the problem was that it actually ran out of juice for real. This was a little over two hours of standby; the phone went from over 60% to null. Anyhow, I plugged the phone in and waited an hour for it to get some charge back.

So, now flashing - I downloaded the latest rogers firmware using the nokia package manager, and applied it to the phone. The process was very smooth, and the phone restored without a hitch, so I was actually getting pretty excited. I went through the initial setup on my first try too, which was a very good sign. I also noticed that the phone, although very warm was not as hot as it was before. Onto installing software: Skydrive, Plex, and Twitter. That's it. I didn't install the Nokia Drive app as it seemed to be one of the main culprits of problems for people. I also disabled the NFC feature, as well as the LTE antenna as these seemed to kill battery for a lot of people.

Ok, so I have everything set up by monday evening. I didn't play with the phone that much more. Charged it until I went to sleep - It was at 100% by 1 am, so I unplugged it, and set the alarm for 8:30am.

Next morning, I woke up at 10:30. My alarm didn't go off - Why? The phone was off; like when i first unboxed it, the unit would not turn on using the power button. Instead, I had to do the reset button combination to make it come back to life. All of Tuesday, I would experience random reboots and things that got me extremely frustrated throughout the day - I decided to call rogers; and they agreed to ship me a new phone. It won't be here until Friday; so I would have to live with this thing for the rest of the week. At this point, I'm not sure if the new phone will make a difference. Back to Tuesday:

- If the phone doesn't reboot automatically after receiving a text message (30% of the time), it will for sure reboot when I'm replying (100%).
    - the phone reboots every single time I receive a call on the 3rd ring (100%).
    - If I do pick up the call, the phone will reboot half the time.
    - the phone, regardless of what I am doing, or where I am in the menu will spontaneously reboot - 3 times an hour
    - If I start navigating the menu right after the phone reboots, it will reboot again. I need to let it sit there for about a minute. Sometimes, it'll reboot again; while it's rebooting.
    - I have my phone sitting next to me on my desk - every now and then the screen will catch my eye - I would look over, and I would see a white screen with a red rogers logo - Basically my phone is rebooting. I'm not even touching the phone.
    - Every now and then I would pick up the phone, and it would be completely off - Power button will not turn it on. Needs the reset key combination. Battery is still good.

So it's Wednesday today as I write this; and Wednesday isn't that much different. I've been trying to get used to not being able to receive calls on my phone and replying to text messages, but I don't think this is the type of change that I need to make. Today, the battery life seems much better, but it's probably because I went to lunch and forgot my phone on my desk, came back after a meeting 3 hours later and realized it was completely off.

Obviously, the short version of this long-winded attempt at remaining calm is that this phone; my unit at least, is unusable. Not as a phone, not as a portable messaging device, not as anything that anyone would ever use a smart phone for. I really, REALLY hope I have a dud and that my next unit will see much better results; but I have to say - I am very disheartened. I really wanted to like this phone. It feels great, it looks great, and windows phone 8 is a really refreshing and efficient attempt at an interface.

-

I know that a lot of these problems have been posted here already; but to those who have had these problems, are they as severe/frequent as what I've been experiencing? The "update" that we are supposed to be getting in December; is it going to fix these issues?

Flocons

I would call this a dud and return it. I have not experienced any issues or problems since I received my Lumia 920 about 3 weeks ago. In fact, my phone just died on me, after more than 5 days without a recharge (and I do use it). The Lumia is a great phone, just you got a bad one. Return it and hopefully your next one will be like mine, nothing but pure joy to use.

Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    That is absolutely a dud. I would not hesitate to return it for another.

That's extremely reassuring to hear! I really do hope my second try at this will be good - Like I said, I really love the feel of WP8, as well as the phone in my hands. The screen is gorgeous and everything about it is screaming hot (including the temperature of my phone right now) ;)

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thryon View Post
    I would call this a dud and return it. I have not experienced any issues or problems since I received my Lumia 920 about 3 weeks ago. In fact, my phone just died on me, after more than 5 days without a recharge (and I do use it). The Lumia is a great phone, just you got a bad one. Return it and hopefully your next one will be like mine, nothing but pure joy to use.
    Is that with LTE or without? What settings do you have?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Take it back ASAP. Mine has never rebooted or shut down. I have had the "rapid battery discharge" issue, but I'm hoping I have that fixed, we'll see... Great phone, I just hope you get a good one!

LTE enabled. I have most common settings, but always ensure that apps do not run in the background and have a single email account that syncs once an hour.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I know you wanted to use the phone and I would have done the same with the soft reset but after that with continued issues I would have taken back immediately. I hope your second go around has excellent results. I've had my 920 since launch weekend and have had a few minor issues with it. I know when WP7 launched there were little issues that had to be worked out. The nice thing is I'm fairly certain Nokia has been feeding us mini updates all this time as many of their apps will show in the Store for an update but not really say what was updated. I have had Bluetooth reliability unexplainably fixed, the charging issue happened one time, then there was an update. I did a soft reset just to be sure and the phone has been flawless on wireless, usb and car chargers ever since. At this time I'm very pleased with Nokia and the amount of mini updates they seem to be quietly putting into the device. Also excited to see MS update that should come sometime in Feb or March.
    Hope all is well with your new phone,
    Ian