1.    #1  
    I am an active twitter user, and just switched from a blackberry to my new nokia windows phone - can anyone help me with how i can get instant notification when i get a twitter mention, dm, etc? Please and thanks :)

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    I use the Rowi app for twitter and it gives me live notifications on the tile and toasts. It should also should show up on your "Me" tile, though you won't see any toasts with that.

Global Posts
    2,846 Global Posts
    Notifications.

This is a flaw in WP8. Or is it? Some argue that your home screen and live tiles should be used for notifications.

Some want a notification center.

It has been addressed that "notifications" will be fixed in a future update.
  4.    #4  
    I am still learning - what is a tile and toast? Will it notify me with a beep or vibrate that I have a new mention or dm?
    Angela... the notifications for Twitter are typically tied to a specific Twitter client app such as Rowi, Gleek, etc.

You can associate your Twitter account to your Windows Phone and get notifications of mentions on your Me Tile but your best bet is to use one of the Windows Phone Twitter apps that have toast notifications.

Is it a flaw? Eh... if you're a power tweeter I can see it being a handy feature but if you're more of a casual user, then it's probably something you can live without.
    George Ponder
    Reviews Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: george.ponder@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @coppertop004

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela McKinnon View Post
    I am still learning - what is a tile and toast? Will it notify me with a beep or vibrate that I have a new mention or dm?
    tile is the icon on your screen, and a toast is the notification that pops up on the top of your phone when something new happens.
  7.    #7  
    I will try out Rowi tonight then based on your suggestions. The twitter app as well as tweetcaster aren't really doing what I want them to.

I used Ubersocial for BB previously.

I tried this phone as an alternative to Apple, so I hope it doesn't let me down. Just a big learning curve for me.