Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Sounds like a bad phone. It shouldn't ever get warm except if you're running some intense computational process or streaming LOTS of data over LTE.

Global Posts
    3,220 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    I can HARDLY wait for MS and manufacturers to come out with their first set of updates so we can put a lot of these issues in the past. It will take until early next year for all these bugs to be found, updates written for the corrections, and for them to be distributed to all the WP 8's. Until then, some irritated WP 8 users will have forum issues which begin:

"I love my phone, but....."

And we all know, nothing matters before the "but".
    Before posting anything, please be sure to get the facts straight. You can always distort them to your liking later.

Feel sorry for you. My 920 is being replaced as I type. But I have to say, my old HTC Desire on Android ALWAYS woke me up.....ALWAYS without fail.

Use 627.AM too although I never charge my phone overnight since that would be too much charge for the battery.

I know the plate shuts off at full charge and mine is working fine. However I recall others were having issues with the plate not shutting off and the relationship between the phone and the plate seem to correct itself after a soft reset and then re-introducing the phone to the plate.

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    I think you guys are straying from the topic.

His problem is not the alarm clock, it's the fact that the phone just died/powered off totally in the middle of the night..
    That's probably true but then he shouldn't have proclaimed that the phone made him late. HE made himself late by relying on it.
    Connie L - Windows Phone 8 always

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie Litrenta View Post
    That's probably true but then he shouldn't have proclaimed that the phone made him late. HE made himself late by relying on it.
    My old Android Atrix 4G NEVER failed me as an alarm. You saying you don't rely on some type of alarm to wake you up? Even the old school alarm clocks could mess up, but chances are slim. I love how certain posters are blaming me like I shouldn't rely on a smartphone for an alarm. Really??? Its almost 2013, I think for the most part we can say its safe to rely on our smartphones for alarms. Its just that this one in particular has issues. Not the alarm app itself, but the phone. I'm willing to deal with these issues until they are fixed because I'm happy with everything else. The fact is, I rely on my smartphone for just about everything, and it failed ONE time. I didn't put it on the charging plate last night and the alarm worked perfectly. So until fixes are applied I won't be relying on my 920 for an alarm if its left on the charging plate.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Connie Litrenta View Post
    Sorry but I agree with most everyone else. NEVER rely on a cell phone to wake you up. 9 times out of 10, they will work fine but do you really want to trust your future employment to a cell phone? I don't. To many things can go wrong. My advice: Get a cheap alarm clock.
    Sorry, but I don't agree with you and everyone else.
    I have relied on my blackberry for 3 years to wake me up, and it never failed, not even once. So, that's not 9 times out of 10, but more like 700 times out of 700.
    If you can't trust on your phone for something as simple as an alarm clock, then it is a garbage phone. (Not saying the lumia 920 is garbage, but his is).
    Sorry that happened to you, only times this ever happened to me was when I had a Moto KRZR and a Touch Pro (only once) both times I was up within 5 minutes of the time anyway.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    OP did your battery die? When you got the phone back on was the battery dead? Can't blame the Lumia if you didn't get on it the charging pad correctly or if if fell off during the nigh.

Off topic since I don't own a L920 yet, 1-2 days before it arrive. But I never use a regular clock, always cell phone, so this troubling news to me.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have 4 pre-programmed alarms on my Lumia 920, and 2 special alarms that I have been using since launch day and I have NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. I also do not have a charging plate. My sister, brother Aunt, and mom also have 920's and they all use the OS alarm app and have not told me of any issues they are having (and believe me when I say that they are NOT tech saavy) so I think philharmonk's issue is isolated. Like he said, it's probably between the battery charging and charging plate.
    Thanked by:
    philharmonik likes this.

Global Posts
    3,401 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    I think you guys are straying from the topic.

His problem is not the alarm clock, it's the fact that the phone just died/powered off totally in the middle of the night..
    This is exactly right. I trust my several hundred dollar phone more than a cheapo alarm clock. Alarm clocks have failed me in the past. Since I started years ago using my phone they have never failed me.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    OP did your battery die? When you got the phone back on was the battery dead? Can't blame the Lumia if you didn't get on it the charging pad correctly or if if fell off during the nigh.
    No the battery didn't die. When it came back on, the battery was almost at 100%. This is not that big of a deal to me really. I still have my Atrix 4G as a back up alarm. There seems to be issues with the phone when left on the charging plate overnight.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakazul View Post
    Off topic since I don't own a L920 yet, 1-2 days before it arrive. But I never use a regular clock, always cell phone, so this troubling news to me.
    The alarm works just fine as long as I don't lay it on the wireless charging pad overnight. I've had this phone since day 1 of release and have had barely any issues. It only failed one time with the alarm and that was while it was on the charging plate.

This has happened to me several times since I started using the charging plate. It is rather annoying, and it has resulted in me being late for things (fortunately not late for work yet.)

Combined with the Windows Store update notification bug, I find myself wondering whether to return it and get an exchange.
    Thanked by:
    philharmonik likes this.

Worries me this. I like the idea of the charging plate, however, I don't like the idea of leaving the thing on charge overnight.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    This is no different then if you went out to start your car and the battery was dead. Would you start a thread on a battery forum saying "My Interstate Battery made me late for work!"??

Things happen, that's just the way it goes. If your phone continues to have issues, replace it. You've learned a lesson and now you know what to put on your Christmas list.
    Except we're talking about a Smart Phone and a (dumb) battery. They are nothing alike.

Why shouldn't someone rely on a 21st century device loaded with technology to make our lives easier, more efficient and save energy?

I've been using my phones as alarm clocks since the early 2000's and never had a problem until my first Android phone, Samsung Captivate. It just started shutting itself off at night after the latest update. No device should do that. I resorted to using my old Sony w810i as my alarm clock. It works flawlessly as a stand alone alarm clock and music player and is 7 years old.

Its obvious its the wireless plate bug, your phone is overheating and shutting down. I suggest you use the mains to charge the phone overnight until the big is fixed.
    Thanked by:
    philharmonik likes this.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    have you been experiencing any other power shut downs? this issue seems to be OS wide as 8x reports are coming the same way. This cant just be a Nokia thing. I havent used an analog clock in a loong looong time since my first cell phone that had an alarm clock. the random reboots are one thing but full on power off and nothing after that. Big issue.
    I've been using the charging stand since Saturday with no issues.

I am a little concerned though....how do you people not have a bare minimum of two alarms set?? I have an old Sony alarm clock I bought when I was in highschool that I use every night. I set it for 10 minutes before I absolutely have to get up. Then I set my phone to 30 minutes before I absolutely have to get up. This way I can snooze twice with the phone if I'm really tired and once with the clock before I know I have to drag my *** outta bed.

All I know is that I haven't been late to work due to an alarm clock failing, or me sleeping through an alarm (hard to do that with two alarms) since like 2002.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,870 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philharmonik View Post
    I'm going to see if it does it again tonight. Leaving it off the charging plate. I noticed the Lumia was really warm after it got to 100%. I'm thinking it was probably overheating. The only other problems that I am having are issues with blue tooth, occasionally the phone will freeze or restart and the issue with the photos blurring.
    I noticed that my 920 would get warm after putting it on the charging plate... a little warmer than I'd expect in the beginning. Now it's perfect, including the battery life. It's semi-warm/cool.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

My opinion, FWIW, is that it has nothing to do with the charging plate. It's related to the problems that a lot of folks are having with some *process* running in the background and hanging the phone. Mine has hung a few times now. Ya, I'm pretty sure I exited all the apps ahead of time and keep most things turned off, but it happened. I don't have a lot of apps, so it has been easy enough to nail down what might have caused it. I'll delete the app and have no further issues. Not very scientific, I know. I'm with another poster, It'll be nice when MS and Nokia get out their updates.

I'm in agreement with another poster that you should be able to rely on today's communication devices as reliable alarms. That functionality has been built in for a longggg time and many people have come to rely on them. Sucks for the OP and others right now that there's a possibility the alarm won't activate because the phone is hung.

The people who are saying you shouldn't be relying on an alarm... What if, like another poster mentioned, you relied on your phone for an important call in the middle of the night. Solution: get a land line? don't think so. Lots of potential issues right now for people that are relying on their 920 to alert them to some incoming bit of needed information (text, voice, alarm, etc).

That's the cost of being an early adopter. We are not only enjoying a newly released phone, but a newly released OS. I've experienced battery drain, locked up phone, etc and have narrowed it down to some app every time. Just need to use some caution for now IMO.

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Recently back to WP, so I have been lurking around here a little bit....I have seen this thread at the top of the page for a while, and was curious why...

This has nothing to do with the OP's issue, but I have seen all the comments about people never having an old skool alarm clock failing them. Ever. Period.

I call BS on that. Have these folks never, in all their years, experienced loss of power after they have gone to bed? Maybe a storm blew through, a transformer went down, etc....?

And besides, who has room for an alarm clock on the nightstand anymore? I have so many gadgets to plug in at night, I now have a power strip on both sides of the bed...

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philharmonik View Post
    Yes, my 920 made me late for work! How you ask? Well, I left it on the charging plate last night before I went to bed and sometime during the night it shut itself off and never came back on. When I finally woke up I realized my alarm had not went off. Checked my phone and it was off and would not come back on until I held down the power+volume down button. This has me really worried. I can deal with slightly blurry pics, and an occasional restart, but to completely just die in the middle of the night rendering my alarm clock useless is not good. Now I'm afraid to leave it on the charging plate at night!
    The unwillingness more and more people have to take personal responsibility continues to astound me. I believe you made yourself late for work by poor planning (relying upon a wireless device sitting on a wireless charger). This is the equivalent of saying your car made you late because it ran out of gas. Of course if it makes you feel better blame the phone. Use that excuse very often though and you can also blame the phone for being unemployed.
    Thanked by:
    philharmonik likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast