Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By VisceralMonkey
  1. Joe920's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    312 Posts
       #1  
    I'd like to use Google search tools like searching for items from the "Last 24 hours" or "Past month". I can't seem to get these buttons to show, even if I go to the 'classic' page instead of the mobile version. Any workarounds?

    Related: searching from the IE address bar always brings up the mobile formatted results page. Is there a way to set that to the full page view by default? I have my page preference set to 'desktop version', but that doesn't seem to affect address bar searches.
  2. Joe920's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    312 Posts
       #2  
    Well, found one workaround: download the free app 'user agent switcher'. Hoping this is safe.. Set it to desktop IE, and things actually work.
    Thanked by:
    Al_2 
  3. jiffffy pop's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #3  
    When you go to google.com there should be an option to switch to classic view on the bottom of the page.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
  4. Kei Square's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffffy pop View Post
    When you go to google.com there should be an option to switch to classic view on the bottom of the page.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    and you should pin this to the home screen and use that instead of the IE tile....
  5. Al_2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    235 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe920 View Post
    Well, found one workaround: download the free app 'user agent switcher'. Hoping this is safe.. Set it to desktop IE, and things actually work.
    This is a useful app - thanks for mentioning it! If you go to maps.google.com and set it to "Android Smartphone" you can actually use StreetView on the L920 in the browser!
  6. EG8196's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffffy pop View Post
    When you go to google.com there should be an option to switch to classic view on the bottom of the page.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    please read the op
  7. Infamy_dd's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe920 View Post
    Well, found one workaround: download the free app 'user agent switcher'. Hoping this is safe.. Set it to desktop IE, and things actually work.
    Keep in mind, your time may be limited. Google is moving those great tools to a "Search Tools" button at the top of the page. I'm already feeling it on my desktop browsers. Seems to be rolling out based on browser/geography. So whatever the agent switcher is telling Google your browser is... your days may be limited on having those links handy.

    Edit: Apparently they're doing it to make the web search experience consistent with the mobile experience. So there's your daily dose of irony.
  8. jiffffy pop's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by EG8196 View Post
    please read the op
    Then click on Advanced Search. The option to search "Past 24 hours" and "Last month" are right there.
  9. Joe920's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    312 Posts
       #9  
    Thanks for all the responses, at least we have options. I'd still prefer it if google simply recognized WP8 and presented a better results page, and if IE would respect the user agent settings even for address bar searches. Here's to hoping that providing feedback on the mobile results page actually does something.
  10. SoloXCRacer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe920 View Post
    I'd like to use Google search tools like searching for items from the "Last 24 hours" or "Past month". I can't seem to get these buttons to show, even if I go to the 'classic' page instead of the mobile version. Any workarounds?

    Related: searching from the IE address bar always brings up the mobile formatted results page. Is there a way to set that to the full page view by default? I have my page preference set to 'desktop version', but that doesn't seem to affect address bar searches.
    It's a little annoying, but this is how I do it:

    1. Open up IE and go to Google.com
    2. Perform your search (Note: Don't go into "classic mode" yet, just search. If you go into Classic and then search, Google will kick you back in to Mobile mode).
    3. After your search results show up, scroll to the bottom of the page and go into Classic Mode.
    4. You should see search tools to the left. Click on that.
  11. Joe920's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    312 Posts
       #11  
    This actually seems to be fixed now, not sure whether to thank Google or the Portico update.
  12. VisceralMonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    #12  
    Certainly not google, haha.
    riffraffy likes this.
  13. Joe920's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    312 Posts
       #13  
    This was fixed for a bit, but it's broken for me again. Does anyone else get the full results page when searching google from the address bar?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 05:32 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 02:44 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 06:04 PM
  4. Is there any way to get Word documents on the phone?
    By Dark Mirage in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 11:53 AM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-19-2011, 01:16 AM

Posting Permissions