Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fwaits
  • 1 Post By 11B1P

Hi, I cant see any setting to allow pictures to open automatically in my emails, for example, when i receive an email from ebay, i have to select 'download picture' to open them manually. Is there a setting for them to open with the email?

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I don't believe so, I went through all my settings and I didn't see that option.
    Thanked by:

MS does that in all their email apps (Outlook, outlook.com, W8, WP) as a security measure. Also saves data if you don't care about said email content.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."

This is one of the small things that annoys me about wp8. Surely this should be an option to enable if wanted?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by fwaits View Post
    MS does that in all their email apps (Outlook, outlook.com, W8, WP) as a security measure. Also saves data if you don't care about said email content.
    Yes but in outlook there is the option to always download pictures if you wish. Come on MS, give us the choice!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I don't really find this all that annoying, really all it takes is one tap on the screen to bring them up.

Well obviously alfonz is not a power user like the rest of us...
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonz View Post
    I don't really find this all that annoying, really all it takes is one tap on the screen to bring them up.
    Agreed, it's a non issue for me and I'd prefer not to use the data by default unless it's a pic or a file I need to open. How hard is it to tap the screen to open guys?
    Thanked by:

I can't find an option for it either. I'd like to have the option as well, but I will say that if they aren't giving us a choice I'm glad they made it require a click. As an IT staff member for a school district, I constantly get emails from teachers with all their "cutesy" signature images and such. It'd destroy my data lol.

Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    How hard is it to tap the screen to open guys?
    Yes, but how easy would it have been to have at least be given the user the option to 'auto open' or not?

Also, whilst on the subject of user options, when i tap to make a telephone call, why would i want the 'history' page come up first??, my preference is for the keypad to first appear and i have no choice but to make another tap to select the keypad...........not the end of the world, i know, but why no user option in the settings?
    Last edited by alphonsohall; 12-01-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan TheMan86 View Post
    Well obviously alfonz is not a power user like the rest of us...
    Obviously you are quick to assumptions, and really that 1/4 sec that it takes you to tap the screen to bring up the pictures will really impact your productivity

Global Posts
    1,281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alphonsohall View Post
    Also, whilst on the subject of user options, when i tap to make a telephone call, why would i want the 'history' page come up first??, my preference is for the keypad to first appear and i have no choice but to make another tap to select the keypad...........not the end of the world, i know, but why no user option in the settings?
    I believe the thought behind this is that you call some of the same people/family on a regular basis. Example, I call home in the evenings when I'm on the night shift to tell my 6yr old goodnight. I will do this 3 or 4 nights in a row. For me, seeing the history is more convenient. Unless you're using your phone for a lot of business use, where you're calling different customers/clients from call to call, you too probably will see the benefit of the default history view.
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    I believe the thought behind this is that you call some of the same people/family on a regular basis. Example, I call home in the evenings when I'm on the night shift to tell my 6yr old goodnight. I will do this 3 or 4 nights in a row. For me, seeing the history is more convenient. Unless you're using your phone for a lot of business use, where you're calling different customers/clients from call to call, you too probably will see the benefit of the default history view.
    I can see where this 'default' is a benefit to some people, but not to me......i would prefer to go straight to keypad with 'history' as a 2nd choice.......i just dont see why it is not in a settings menu.

On a positive note....after 1 week of ownership my 920 is perfect in every other way, it lasts a day and half on battery, doesnt heat up, its not froze up on me (yet) the vibrate is not rattling, and i dont have dust under the casing, etc, etc.

I like options. The way it is does not bother me tremendously, but I would like the choice. The choice I would really like is the one that auto-downloads for approved senders. That is how I have it set in Outlook on the desktop. That way, spam doesn't get automatically downloaded, but anything I read regularly does get downloaded.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Outlook doesn't download images for security reasons. When you receive a spam mail once the images are downloaded it verifies to the spamming server that your email is an active email account. And I agree, there should be options to open the phone app to the page that you want.

Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Agreed, it's a non issue for me.... How hard is it to tap the screen to open guys?
    Same logic applies to live tiles? What if everything on our phones took one extra simple, quick little tap?

Quote Originally Posted by Happynoodleboy28 View Post
    Outlook doesn't download images for security reasons. When you receive a spam mail once the images are downloaded it verifies to the spamming server that your email is an active email account. And I agree, there should be options to open the phone app to the page that you want.
    but at least include an option to classify domains, or senders as "safe" so that future emails open up images automatically.

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by congusano View Post
    Same logic applies to live tiles? What if everything on our phones took one extra simple, quick little tap?
    but it doesn't so i don't have to imagine if...all i have to do is press the little icon and download only the pictures on emails I care about. I see all of your points, but an all or nothing approach is not always good either. With auto-open you destroy data no mater if you want the pictures or not, with no auto-open you only use the data for the emails you want pictures on and only download that much data each time. It is so fast that it is a non-issue and I imagine that is what they were thinking when they put it together.
    How are you guys clicking to download images .. I don't see this option at all .. Its kind of a bummer because I get a lot of emails that require pushing a button in the image but I don't even see a link where the image link should be

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the real smackbo View Post
    How are you guys clicking to download images .. I don't see this option at all .. Its kind of a bummer because I get a lot of emails that require pushing a button in the image but I don't even see a link where the image link should be
    Just tap the boxes where the pictures are to download them

Don't forget to thank and like anyone who deserves it!

There is a text box located where each image would be in the email. Clicking any one box will open all images.
    There are no boxes at all .. I'm using a 920 .. So maybe this is only a wp8 issue

Quote Originally Posted by the real smackbo View Post
    Just tap where the image should be.

I do think they should allow you to choose which senders to automatically download from. Some of us still have unlimited data plans ;)
    Oh snap .. It looks like you get no boxes at all when you have high contrast on

I find it annoying... I can understand reduced data for no pictures but I'm wifi most of the time... pictures don't affect wifi with data... it's wifi. They should at least give you an option.