Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    I used compressed air to remove the dust. You just put the tip of the duster on the ear-speaker , and point it toward the front camera. Just a couple of puffs will clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammar Alhebshi View Post
    I used compressed air to remove the dust. You just put the tip of the duster on the ear-speaker , and point it toward the front camera. Just a couple of puffs will clean it.
    I had a small spec of dust under my lens. Did this, and it's gone. Sucks that dust is able to get under there though.

Add me to the list. I wonder how they'll deal with this. A free spray can for all Lumia owners? Any way we can seal this ourselves?

ffc-dust.jpg

Is this "normal" or is it a defect?

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trophaeum View Post
    Both
    GonzoGriff likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shap2012 View Post
    Thats actually not true. It SHOULD be air tight with no dust. If there is dust after just two weeks or so, what will it be like after a year. People SHOULD care about little imperfections AND call them out.

My original iPhone 4 or the 4S don't have one piece of dust in the front lens. My 920 has a TON and is getting returned. It amazes me how little people care about build quality.
    I agree with you, based on the pic you posted I would probably return my phone too., even though I'll never use the FFC, it's just the principle. My phone definitely does not look like that, so you have a fit and finish problem there.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trophaeum View Post
    Has to be a defect because mine does not have a single spec of dust in it and I've had it since the day they went on sale. There's no way this is supposed to happen.
    Thanked by:
    GonzoGriff likes this.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Jesus, what is the deal with these phones? There seems to be no end to the issues they are having with them. :(
    Alex Kj likes this.

I'm on my second 920 and both have had dust in FFC. ATT exchanged the first one with no problems saying it was indeed a manufacturing defect. FYI, the dust in the first phone did cause distortion when using the FFC. However, I rarely use the FCC and it hasn’t bothered me enough on the second 920 to warrant an exchange.
    Thanked by:

I'm currently using a Lumia 920 from Rogers, 47/2012 batch. My room is REALLY dusty and the dust are really small, day 3 of possessing and yet still no signs of dust under the FFC. What DOES happen though is that dust is accumulating at the 4 corners of the screen, where the glass meets the body, there is a small gap. It's not very noticeable so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Has to be a defect because mine does not have a single spec of dust in it and I've had it since the day they went on sale. There's no way this is supposed to happen.

I'm currently using a Lumia 920 from Rogers, 47/2012 batch. My room is REALLY dusty and the dust are really small, day 3 of possessing and yet still no signs of dust under the FFC. What DOES happen though is that dust is accumulating at the 4 corners of the screen, where the glass meets the body, there is a small gap. It's not very noticeable so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Thanks, this is one big issue that's currently stopping me from purchasing the L920. Good to hear not everyone has this!

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Hi! I am having the same issue. I called Nokia Germany and they said I can give it an authorised repair partner.

I am having problems with my proximity sensor, when starting a call I am having a black screen until I blow the dust away...

Don't know if thats on every phone, but on mine there are little gaps between glass and black surrounding of the glass just above proximity sensor and camera. Are you having the same gaps?!

See what I mean in the attached photo. The lines are where the gaps are!
    lumia920dust.jpg

Does anybody know the purpose of those gaps? I don't see why they might be required...

Thanks, Nikolai

Quote Originally Posted by autumnride View Post
    Hi! I am having the same issue. I called Nokia Germany and they said I can give it an authorised repair partner.

I am having problems with my proximity sensor, when starting a call I am having a black screen until I blow the dust away...

Don't know if thats on every phone, but on mine there are little gaps between glass and black surrounding of the glass just above proximity sensor and camera. Are you having the same gaps?!

See what I mean in the attached photo. The lines are where the gaps are!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lumia920dust.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	24954

Does anybody know the purpose of those gaps? I don't see why they might be required...

Thanks, Nikolai

I had the same with my first two black Lumias. I also had the dust issues and black screen during call. With my new yellow one, there are no gaps and I have no dust under the glass so far.
    Thanked by:

Just had a watch of the L920 screen disassembly guide on youtube here

at 4:18 you can see a very very clear shot of the digitizer after it has been removed from the screen. The digitizer is glued around the screen and it looks like it's meant to be airtight. You can see that the the actual frame on the digitizer is extremely thin where the camera is. This looks to be a design flaw since its impossible to place any decent amount of sealant in this location. I believe this is leading to all the dust issues.

Completely agree with that, at 09:40, you can see if the screen isn't seated correctly, dust can get in.

no matter how hard i try i cant get the dusting trick to work which is good and bad, i assume since i cant get air in there maybe i wont get anymore dust, that is a crappy design though

I had the dust on my 1st 920 and got it replaced by the Microsoft store for a NIB unit even though I was outside the 14 day window. Great customer service. Just noticed today that my new one has little dust specs starting to gather. It's only been 3 days!

I had a simultaneous issue where my proximity sensor was always seeing something during calls, so the screen was always blank. I couldn't get to the keypad, speaker, bluetooth, or end call options during a call because the screen was black. My hypothesis is that dust had also accumulated on the proximity sensor, but I have nothing to substantiate this idea.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Have the same problem on my yellow 920. Waiting on a replacement now.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    This is too widespread to be a particular defect. The way this phone is made allows dust to make its way under the FFC. If you haven't had the problem yet you've gotten lucky, plain and simple. I wouldn't bother with an exchange if this is your only problem.

This is an issue and its inexcusable for a BRAND NEW phone. The second 920 I got had the loose screen, which allowed for the dust to get in. It had a really loud and tacky vibration, and its wouldn't wirelessly charge.

I took it to ATT. Got my replacement. So far none of the above issues. Vibrate is quiet like its supposed to be. It charges wirelessly, and no loose screen/FFC.

For all those seeing dust under the camera, soon it will get under the proximity sensor. When that happens, you won't be able to access the screen during calls or see any notifications when they arrive. The dust blocks the light to the sensor and the software thinks it's against your ear so switches the screen off. It's incredibly frustrating....

I would say that i have had mine a month, I've REALLY Looked after it, and there is a lot of dust under the front lens seems like a design fault to me.

I cant see any sense in taking it back, it's just going to keep on happening. I agree though, its not right.

Update: I'm going to ring orange, this isn't right
    Quote Originally Posted by iphonemilk View Post
    Guys I returned my first one, now i'm on my SECOND one and it has Dust in the FFC as well.

And now they are telling me i'm outside of my 14 days... that's kind of stupid.. it should start the 14 days on the new model they gave me... and now i'm stuck?
    Call Nokia. It's under warranty with them. They gave you a less than satisfactory product. They'll repair it or ship you a new one. Keep the pressure on Nokia otherwise they'll let poor build quality issues keep on.
    Thanked by:

I had the same problem. The first one was so bad that dust blocking the proximity sensor was making it so I couldnt even use this "top-of-the-line" phone as a phone.

I went through THREE replacements! and they all collected dust at varying rates. So i finally sent it to Nokia for repairs, and guess what? They sent it back saying that all it needed was a software update. To this I obviously replied WTF!? how is a software update going to clean out and seal the area around my front camera? They then told me that it was a cosmetic thing and not covered under warranty.

So I basically told Nokia to F*&$ off, I'm going out tomorow to get an iPhone5. Real shame to have to go crawling back to iphone considering I like wp8 better...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast