Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By TMavC5
  • 1 Post By arni99
  • 2 Post By Reflexx
  • 1 Post By jmerrey

We thought that Nokia Lumia 920 was the best phone to record in the night, or Nokia told us that it was that. But they haven't done the best work they could. Their flagship, Nokia 808 Pureview, is recording better during the night. It's a pitty that Nokia starts to cheat since the very first Nokia 920 video. The super reflex camera to capture the supose Lumia 920 videos + this is amazing. Although is the best WP8 to buy, if you think it as a camera phone is better the iPhone 5 in daylight, equal in afternoon and inside and slightly better during the night.

Some videos:

For those who told me in my last post that I was crazy and I was wrong, today I can have a Youtube Video that shows I'm right.

Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    The 808's sensor is mode than double the 920's. This is to be expected.

For god sake. Its a phone and it does pretty well against other phones.
    Sent from my Red L920 using Board Express
    palandri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    The 808's sensor is mode than double the 920's. This is to be expected.
    808 sensor is more than 4x the size of the 1/3" of the Lumia 920
    OmniVision Touts 4K Image Sensor for Smartphones - Bright Side Of News*

Global Posts
    2,612 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arni99 View Post
    808 sensor is more than 4x the size of the 1/3" of the Lumia 920
    OmniVision Touts 4K Image Sensor for Smartphones - Bright Side Of News*
    My post is still correct. :P
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,760 Global Posts
    You missed the night-time star pictures. My wife has a Nokia 808, and it's fantastic for taking night shots, but the Nokia 920 is pretty darn good. I wouldn't bash it.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    My post is still correct. :P
    Of course :)
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

I dunno what Nokia said or didn't say, but I figured this much was near-obvious. That doesn't mean that the 920 wasn't really frigging good even if it wasn't the best or couldn't hold it's own against a camera that has 4 times bigger sensor..

The 920 sure is a heckuva lot smoother though ;). No jostling around on that recording...
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

In order to put the same camera tech the 808 uses in the 920, the 920 would have to be 2-3x the thickness, and it wouldn't sell because nobody wants a brick. I'd imagine that it has a pretty serious impact on battery life, development time and cost as well - we wouldn't be seeing any $50 or $0 subsidized rates on it, and therefore (guess what?) it wouldn't sell. The goal of the 920 was to create a sexy device with a great camera (not SLR great, not M4/3 great, not even S95/S100 great, but cameraphone great) that can be sold at a low enough price to get the ecosystem rolling. It seems to have worked.

If you want the best camera possible in a phone and don't care about anything else (price, OS usability, screen res), then buy the 808 and unlock it. That phone was more of a proof-of-concept than a serious flagship, and it runs Symbian, which is the phone OS equivalent of shoving bamboo shards under your fingernails. It also has a pathetically low-res screen. If you want a great WP8 phone, get the 920. If you care *that* much about photography, GET. A. CAMERA!

Ok, the first video is not really a comparison at all, different footge? Unless recorded at exactly the same time of day, the comparison is stupid, not to mention that at the end the 920 loses focus, could've happened for many reasons and to any auto-focus camera.

The second video is more like it, and what's crazy is that despite the 808 having a massive sensor, if you look closely, the Lumia 920 has better color saturation, something extremely difficult to capture in dark scenes.

Zooming is strictly a mechanical limitation and not existant on the Nokia 920 (Digital zoom doesn't count :p) the 808 has optical zoom but in order to incorporate it, the size of the lens increases dramatically, it's at least a full inch thick by the camera!

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    You missed the night-time star pictures.
    link please?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,760 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by congusano View Post
    link please?
    stars | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

I've watched only the 1st video. In my opinion, i came to the following result:
    The 808 wins in "picture" quality, but in overall I think, the 920 wins in a video battle.

The 808 recorded a shaky video, due to the lack of OIS. For me, the Video from the 920 makes much more fun to watch because it's so much steadier than the 808! OIS really makes a BIG difference!

I think some people just don't understand what OIS is. Optical Image Stabilization allows for slight movement of the camera to be steadied by the hardware. This gives two main benefits.

Night Photography
    The shutter can remain open a little longer. Slight hand movements can be compensated for by OIS to reduce or eliminate blur that would certainly occur with any other camera phone. With the shutter open longer, the sensor is able to take in more light. This gives us unrivaled night pictures for a camera phone.

Steady Video
    OIS has compensate for some of the small bumps that can happen when you're moving while taking video. This results in smoother video.

There was never a claim that we'd see brighter night video.
    palandri and Raduc78 like this.
    This has been said before, but boy does the 920 win the "steadiness" battle. I would honestly rather watch the video on the 920 than the 808 any day. JMO

Global Posts
    1,503 Global Posts
    I took some pictures and videos of a bunch of kids playing around together over Thanksgiving break and sent them to all my relatives. I actually got some questions as to what camera I was using. When I told them it was my cell phone they were quite floored. The steadiness and lighting in particular was mentioned often. To me, this was a real world test of a cell phone camera: no set up, mix of poor and decent lighting, and many moving objects. I couldn't be happier with the results.
    palandri likes this.

Lumia 920 with the 1/1,2" sensor of the 808 would be a dream :).

Nokia 808 night pictures
    nokia 808 night - Flickr: Search

I think that pople doesn't know that soem companies offer 4K capable sensors (thaat could offer us that wanted zoom) + 16Mpx camera photo. And all that in a sensor that is only slightly bigger than 920's. But Nokia instead of innovating they want 808 to be their flagship because it uses Symbian.

Which company is that

I wish carriers made multiple SIMs for single account. I hate to keep on popping one out of one phone into another. Have more phones than accounts ugh !

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    STOP comparing 808 to 920. They have completely different camera technology. OIS is there only to stabilize the image and let some addition light in. 920 performs extremely well among smartphones, but there is a reason why 808 is still a cameraphone king.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Not surprising considering the size of the sensor in the 808.

Then again, the 808 could have an x-ray camera with a telescope that could see the surface of Mars...but at the end of the day, you'd still be stuck with that nasty little 360x640 resolution screen and horribly messy and outdated Symbian OS.

No thanks. I don't care how good the pics are, I could never live with that thing as a phone in 2012. Maybe in 2006 those specs would have been acceptable.