- 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM #1
I like that Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive replace the WP8 Maps app, for the most part. However, they didn't cover quite all of the bases: I went to a contact and tapped "get directions," however, and was dumped into the WP8 Maps app instead of Nokia Drive. Bummer.
I also really like Nokia Music, but I'd like to try Xbox Music. Does Nokia Music "replace" Xbox Music in the same way? From the Music & Videos hub I can only seem to find Nokia Music. I can get to the Xbox Music Store, but can't seem to find plain ol' Xbox Music. It's probably hiding in plain sight.
Out of desperation I tried signing up for their 30 day free trial, and then I started seeing "download" buttons in the store instead of "buy," but I just want to stream. I finally found the SmartDJ feature in the store that allows me to stream, but I'm not sure if this was available before I signed up for the trial.
Did Nokia Music replace Xbox Music? Does Xbox Music = Xbox Music Store? Where can I get the ad-supported free Xbox Music streaming?
11-28-2012, 10:08 AM #3
- 1,376 Posts
Nokia Music is kind of an oddball in the US market. In areas where MS does not offer Xbox Music (or Zune back in the day) I'm sure it was / is useful. It certainly isn't a replacement for Xbox Music however. Nokia Music does offer some decent streaming content however.
If I recall correctly Nokia Music wan't even offered in the US when Nokia re-entered the US market.
- 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM #4
- "history" (which is full of stuff I've played on Nokia Music)
- "apps" (which obviously doesn't show Xbox Music)
- "xbox" (which has SmartGlass, Xbox Music Store, and Spotlight)
- "collection" (which should be my own, local music, but also has a link to "store")
- "new" (this has a bunch of stuff on it, but it looks to have some recent things I've listened to and a tile prompting me to connect my phone to my computer; in other words, I have no idea what this screen is showing me.)
None of these seems to offer a way to start streaming a SmartDJ list or a curated list (does Xbox Music even have curated lists?) except maybe "spotlight," which shows a whopping three artists that I have zero interest in. If I truly have to open the store and find an artist to start a SmartDJ, then I would say that is less-than-intuitive. Plus, now that I have a trial subscription, I'm not sure whether you can even do that with a "free" account.
Last edited by drokkon; 11-28-2012 at 10:43 AM.
- 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM #5
lol...maybe that's the problem. Maybe by getting this Nokia I diversified into a "Lumia Life," which is admittedly different!
11-28-2012, 10:15 AM #6
- 34 Posts
One issue I have with playing my .mp3 music files with Nokia Music is that I can't figure out how to 'fast forward' during a song. Has anyone figured this out? Using the Xbox music app, you can press+hold on the forward or back buttons to fast forward/reverse. This doesn't seem to work with Nokia music.
11-28-2012, 10:39 AM #7
- 1,376 Posts
11-28-2012, 10:48 AM #8
- 352 Posts
My suggestion is to manage your music through Xbox music app on windows 8. Anything you downloaded and playlist created will not be synced to cloud for now. Or just use another service until Xbox music can finally compete one day.
- By 89caps in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 6Last Post: 02-10-2013, 09:50 AM
- By firewall2302 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 4Last Post: 11-15-2012, 09:45 AM
- By Bataar in forum Windows Phone 8Replies: 2Last Post: 11-10-2012, 07:51 PM
- By diegosalinas in forum Nokia Lumia 900Replies: 5Last Post: 04-07-2012, 06:57 AM
- By TheWeeBear in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 1Last Post: 02-27-2012, 02:45 PM