Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Hi, question to all owners of matte Lumia 920 phones. I bought my phone 4 days ago and today I noticed that polycarbonate shell has some sort of blotches, some places are more shiny. It looks like some parts got matte polished away. Or maybe it's just greasy? I tried cleaning whole back with glassess cleaning cloth moistened with alcohol but no dice. Is there any way to clean away that blotches or is that polycarbonate so soft that 4 days of carrying it in my pocket polished some parts so they are no longer matte?
    Banned

Yes it seems to be just rubbing or whatever will 'mark' the back in a way.

I am having the same issue on my matte black 920. It definitely takes away from the premium looks of the phone.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Just started happening to mine now. 2 weeks of owning.
    Not off putting as I don't look at the back of my phone xD
    Regards
    SpencerUk
    That sucks. IF you guys wanted glossy phones you would of bought them that way.

Global Posts
    1,560 Global Posts
    Did you try a soft, damp cloth followed up by a soft, dry cloth? That's what I used to use on my black 900 and it seemed to clean up the smudging that I got on a pretty regular basis.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I have a faint line on the side of my 920 now but as I hold the phone, I'm not that fussed about it. I don't look at the back of the phone :)
    Regards
    SpencerUk

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I haven't had any issues, mine still looks new and hasn't had a case on it...

Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    Its the oils in your hands, lotion, ect. Only way your gonna eliminate it is keep your hands clean.

I'd get this too on my matte black phone. Hot breath and a microfiber cloth have done the trick so far...

I've tried water and alcohol, but nothing will remove the stains. Plus, I can see residue around the camera and LED from the stickers that were part of the packaging.
    Same with mine. It's in an interesting place though, about an inch under the camera.

FWIW I don't think these are stains guys... they are literally a polishing of the polycarbonate.

they are stains... the finish attracts grease from fingers like magnets... have not figured a way to clean it but try to stain it uni-formally then it is less noticeable
    They are not stains, after i notice them i ran to the AT&T store and bought a Zagg invisible shield full body. I told the guy to clean the phone very well before applying it and i emphasized and pointed at the "stains" and they didn't go away after he cleaned it. It's seems that the matte finish fades away. It happened to me one day after buying the phone

Those can't be polishing of a polycarbonate as shape and placement of those "things" are strange. I have one straight line across device 1 inch from the bottom and one small blotch near it. Places which have barely any contact with other moving surfaces. Maybe hot water will clean it away

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Mine has one or two areas and you can actually clearly see them when you run a wet cloth over it. Any grease and moisture will bring them back over time. After cleaning nothing can be seen when dry. I believe its from injection molding process and alignment and density of the PC was probably not uniform. Also possible that black paint in the pc melt was not uniform. This is then transferred through the matte finish. 2 cents from a chemist.

it gives my phone my own personal character - there - it's a feature ;)
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 11-30-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Microsoft Surface Pro 128Gb
    HP TouchPad JB 4.3
    Does anyone know if this was an issue with the 900?

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    this same stuff (contact patches) happens with computer keyboards and other plastic products with a matte finish that you also touch with your hands or fingers. if you wipe the body of the device with a microfiber cloth like you'd use for cleaning glasses (but not one you'd use for cleaning glasses, as it's probably slightly oily), it'd likely remove most of the shine. my matte cyan device is still matte cyan with no really noticeable fingerprints or anything after 10 days of ownership.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0unds View Post
    this same stuff (contact patches) happens with computer keyboards and other plastic products with a matte finish that you also touch with your hands or fingers. if you wipe the body of the device with a microfiber cloth like you'd use for cleaning glasses (but not one you'd use for cleaning glasses, as it's probably slightly oily), it'd likely remove most of the shine. my matte cyan device is still matte cyan with no really noticeable fingerprints or anything after 10 days of ownership.
    I think the difference here is the speed at which this is happening. To see it rub off in a matter of two weeks is a little disconcerting. And no, it doesn't just wipe off unfortunately. I've noticed this on two devices now, both in the same general area.

Dang It, I waited two weeks for my Cyan 920, and now it's arriving tomorrow and I find out that it will start looking like two year old keyboard in matter of days .... NOW on top of soft daylight pictures, battery issues, housing separation on top side, bricking and rattling, I have to worry about this .... OOOoooo NOKIA WHY do I LOVE you so much ?

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr37 View Post
    Dang It, I waited two weeks for my Cyan 920, and now it's arriving tomorrow and I find out that it will start looking like two year old keyboard in matter of days .... NOW on top of soft daylight pictures, battery issues, housing separation on top side, bricking and rattling, I have to worry about this .... OOOoooo NOKIA WHY do I LOVE you so much ?
    your phone will be perfectly fine.
    If nothing was wrong with your phone you'd be convinced that something must be wrong after reading all the posts here. Then you start searching and digging and investigating and dissecting until you finally find something that is wrong with it. Then you feel bad and you try to find other people who feel bad
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 11-30-2012 at 11:18 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr37 View Post
    have to worry about this .... OOOoooo NOKIA WHY do I LOVE you so much ?
    You don't HAVE to worry about any of it. Worrying and obsessing over your phone is a choice. Just enjoy it and know that nothing is perfect and everything changes. Some day your phone will die and some day so will all of us. It's just a phone man.
    tissotti and Mr37 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Derausgewanderte View Post
    your phone will be perfectly fine.
    If nothing was wrong with your phone you'd be convinced that something must be wrong after reading all the posts here.
    I guess You are very right but after reading ALL the different threads reporting different problems, no wonder I sound so ominous
    I agree that people are freaking out a bit too much over this. However, I think its a legitimate concern. I was upset when my evo had paint chip around the charging port... But that was months down the road, not weeks.

Anyway, ime the black is way more noticeable than the cyan. The only reason I noticed the cyan had the issue too is because I made it a point to look for it. It doesn't catch the light like the black does.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Has anyone got a picture showing this!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast