11-27-2012, 02:02 PM #1
- 137 Posts
I am going to have a 920. It's a matter of time. I need y'all's help, though, in making a decision.
- I'm going to be using this on Straight Talk wireless BYOD $45/mo unlimited
Discussion before questions for your suggestion:
I have been partial to the Grey 920 since I first saw it. I have a pre-order in with Negri that keeps getting its ship date pushed. If some rumors are to believed, it could be January until I get the phone. Now that I understand even a locked ATT device will work on StraightTalk, I could buy a white 920 to use on ST. That's the next closest one color-wise for me.
I would love to be able to use the internet sharing feature, but I'm not sure even an unlocked device will allow internet sharing on ST.
Questions I'm looking for your help on:
1. Does it make sense to just buy the White 920 outright and go straight to StraightTalk?
2. Would I qualify for the free wireless charger if I did?
3. Would you wait for the Grey 920 over the White 920?
Thanks for your help!
11-27-2012, 02:13 PM #2
- 1,921 Posts
1. That depends on your usage, really. If you're willing to shell out the $450 (over $100 on-contract), sure, if it means avoiding something like a $100/month phone bill with AT&T.
2. I am not sure, but if you don't, you can probably talk to AT&T's online chat agents and coerce them into giving you it anyway.
3. That's the toughest to answer. I personally hate white phones, while I love the grey. However, waiting 2 months will put you almost halfway through the phone's life cycle (well, at least the exclusivity cycle), and we could have an announcement and/or release from the Ativ S, plus a looming Surface Phone or Lumia 920 successor. Personally, I would take red or black over white, but that's me. Asking others if you should wait on a color (something that is a total preferential issue) is iffy, as some people like one color, while others don't (example: I hate cyan, yellow, and white; grey is awesome, black is good, and red can be good or bad, as I haven't seen it yet).
- 11-27-2012, 02:21 PM #3
If you have a friend that has an AT&T account, I would order it (out of contract) through their account. This gives the store an account to attach the charging plate to, and gives them less excuses to refuse you. I've been hearing a ton of complaints about the charging plates since the promo started, but mine were ordered pretty painlessly, so I couldn't help there. Just telling you to err on the side of caution.
I originally wanted the grey, and was pretty disappointed AT&T wasn't going to get it. I will say that I LOVE my red and the yellow is amazing too, but I can understand not wanting something so... ostentatious. I'd personally save the few hundred and get a white or black, but that's just me. I'd also scour Craigslist in your area, because I see a ton of brand new in box 920s selling for $300 right now.
11-27-2012, 03:50 PM #4
- 65 Posts
I just bought a "no-commitment" red 920 on AT&T's website yesterday...my Straight Talk sim card is at the ready! I can answer question number 2 with a definite "yes." My wireless charger hasn't shipped yet (heck, it seems most people are still waiting on those), but it was automatically added to my order at no extra cost.
Now I just hope everything is easy to setup and that I don't have a defective device (been reading too many horror stories on these forums, lol).
- By victorious05 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 149Last Post: 01-23-2014, 10:11 PM
- By gonzaka in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 9Last Post: 09-17-2013, 12:59 AM
- By Brian McBride in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 111Last Post: 05-04-2013, 10:45 PM
- By misterRafter in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 1Last Post: 11-10-2012, 07:21 AM
- By joeynox in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 2Last Post: 11-07-2012, 09:47 AM