Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

I notice this has been posted before a long time ago (on a Lumia 900 thread) and I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this but i thought it would be a brighter topic in an otherwise reasonably gloomy forum!

I had the same thing with my Old Cyan Lumia 900, but since getting my upgrade to the 920 just yesterday, the "what is that phone!?" comments have already been flying in on my commute to and from work.

my latest one was in the elevator on my lunch break... " what is that phone?! looks amazing!" (que me giving the usual speech about how awesome it is and WP is) followed by " does it come in other colors, where can i get one?, im bored of my small iphone etc etc"... and then as i left the elevator a friend of the interested party also in the elevator could be heard saying " yeh, i saw someone with one of those on the subway earlier, really wanted to ask them what it was as it looked awesome".

anyway...anyone else got the same kind of attention for their device? any interesting stories?

sorry if this is off topic but it is one of the most satisfying things to happen since switching from an iphone 6 months ago. It's nice to feel part of something actually fresh, interesting, modern and progressive after years of boring black rectangles with faux leather style operating systems!
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq, drokkon, cedarlog and 6 others like this.

i have a similar experience in elevator. most people doesn't know that there is a third OS called WP and doesnt know that Nokia is still making phones.

but once they try the home screen they are amazed with interface/live tiles
    What color is your 920?

People have said this about my Samsung Focus which I am still enjoying.
    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    Thanked by:

It's Cyan (as was my 900). Yes, it's an obnoxious color but in a funny way that was kind of the point.

I am actually an industrial designer who has worked on phone design projects (as well as tablets, tv's etc etc) for several of the largest cell phone manufacturers, as well as working on Windows phone 7 "related products" before it was released a few years ago. I have been so fed up of the mundaneness of the iphone and all of its rounded black rectangle with a splash of chrome " samsung clones" ever since that i was waiting and waiting and waiting for a device like the Lumia to use windows phone and jumped at the product when launched. So when it came, i wanted the color that made it the most obviously not an iPhone! (and i like matte finishes, so the upgrade had to be cyan really!)

on a side note, as someone who as worked on endless " make a cell phone that is better than an iphone" briefs. I can tell you that it was a simple case of Nokia finally being the first one to have the balls (/ be desperate enough) to actually go with an interesting/ different form factor over everyone else. Designers didn't just stop designing interesting phones, it was more that all the major companies wanted a slice of the apple pie (excuse the pun!) and wanted to stick as close as possible to that form factor in order to be as un-risky as possible.

So i just want to say a big thank you to Nokia for doing this as it has made what has been a "head banging against a brick wall" job for the past 4 years into an enjoyable and interesting one again now that companies are willing to try these things (see HTC 8x and co).
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq, cedarlog, uktivo and 4 others like this.

The bright colors definitely get more attention. I had a black Lumia 900 that most people never took a second glance at. Since I got my red 920, I've had a good number of people notice it and ask me what kind of phone it is. Most want to know if the red is a case or if the phone itself is red, and they seem surprised to learn it is the latter.
    Thanked by:
    I have a cyan 920. Nobody has noticed it, or at least were not brave enough to ask. I take the T into the heart of Boston every morning too, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinxb View Post
    Most want to know if the red is a case or if the phone itself is red, and they seem surprised to learn it is the latter.
    This x100000. Almost everyone I've talked to about my red L920 has assumed it had a case. When I tell them otherwise or hand them the phone, they're always shocked.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq and cedarlog like this.

Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    I have a cyan 920. Nobody has noticed it, or at least were not brave enough to ask. I take the T into the heart of Boston every morning too, LOL.
    Same here, I take the red line in to Boston every morning and no one ever says anything. Must be that keep-to-yourself New England attitude... ;-)
    aubreyq and ibbyj like this.

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    I never had people asking about my yellow 920 (only had it for 3 days) but it did get a few looks from female department. Same thing, Boston's T.

Admittedly, with the 900 50% of people asked if it was a case! ( sad reflection on how apple brainwashed everyone is!( I think the curved glass of the 920 makes the device seem a lot more complete and integrated...no case inquiries here...yet!

I've had a few comments on the collor (yellow). Seems to catch peoples attention.
    cedarlog likes this.

Was just at Old Carolina restaurant and I heard one of the cooks talking to another and said "Yeah...that's one of those Windows Phones"

Not sure how he knew as there's very lil advertisement for cyan colored WP

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I've gotten more comments with my red 920 than my old cyan 900 - "what kind of phone is that???"

I was at a recent party with friends, most of them work at Apple. They were all pretty impressed with
    the phone. I think the biggest problem is a lot of folks just don't get a decent enough overview/demo
    of what the phone is capable of. Spend 5 minutes with someone showing them the features, social
    integration capabilities and most walk away impressed.
    Thanked by:
    cedarlog and jleebiker like this.

Yea I get it now and then. A lot of the time people comment on the size (the 920 makes my HD7 feel tiny now). I have a white 920 and once somebody asked if it was the iPhone 5

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Yes, I had that on the airplane flying to my parent's place for Thanksgiving. I also busted out my Surface RT to watch Downton Abbey and got comments on both!! It was nice. :) Seriously, iphones, ipads, and androids look sooooo old and clunky compared to WP8/Surface RT.
    Thanked by:
    cedarlog, jleebiker and Klevis like this.

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    No one for me has straight up asked about my red 920, but I sure do get a bunch of stares on the bus and train (queue live demo) lol
    unstoppablekem and Klevis like this.

yeah man it is a great starter conversation with girls haha, that's what I have noticed. Thank you Nokia!
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq and Klevis like this.
    Just had this happen yesterday at my local coffee shop. I was taking a picture, then went back to the tiles and the person behind me perked up and said "Ooooooh! Is that a Windows phone??" LOL. I chuckled a little and went into salesperson mode ;)
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq, cedarlog and Klevis like this.

I have been called a salesperson far too many times in the last 6 months...is it strange that WP users tend to be so passionate as to turn into a salesperson whenever anyone asks!? I just feel so compelled to show people what they are missing user experience and satisfaction wise!
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq, willied, cedarlog and 7 others like this.

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Black 920 reporting in, nobody has really noticed my amazing device - that being said I rarely leave the house (week off work, too! :D).
    Klevis likes this.
    I have a Yellow 920, and just this weekend had someone ask me. I was showing her my phone at checkout because I had gotten a coupon text and she said "Wow, that's cool...what kind of phone is that?" And....booom, into Salesman mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Garvin MP View Post
    I chuckled a little and went into salesperson mode ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enever View Post
    I have been called a salesperson far too many times in the last 6 months...is it strange that WP users tend to be so passionate as to turn into a salesperson whenever anyone asks!? I just feel so compelled to show people what they are missing user experience and satisfaction wise!
    See...I got it a lot too...so I did something about it. I figured if I was going to be putting in all this time and effort to get Nokia sales, I wanted a return on that. So I bought some stock so now when the 920 blows up, it will actually be a good thing for me! haha
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I was at the dentist this morning and the receptionist looked shocked when i took my phone out and scrolled through my calendar to add my next appointment. He came around the counter to look at my phone as it looked 'really cool' and 'different'. He spent a few minutes checking out the phone and walked away 'very impressed'. I asked him if this can be his next. and his eyes light up. Yes, this is awesome !
    Thanked by:
    cedarlog and Klevis like this.

As I was flying back yesterday, I saw somebody on the plane with a WP8 (HTC 8X).

He was glad to see me using a Windows Phone. Turns out, he works for Microsoft (business side) and joking said for a while he thought that the only people who have bought the Windows Phone was Microsoft for its employees. But also said he saw another person using a Windows Phone on this trip!
    Thanked by:
    cedarlog likes this.

Today I had a few interesting interactions with people in regards to the 920.

First, in the morning while riding the elevator to my floor a person saw the live tiles over my shoulder and asked if it was a WP8. We had a short conversation, as we both had to get to meetings, but he was very interested in the phone from his iPhone.

Another, at lunch, about fifteen people and the WP8 was passed around to everyone to play with. I was really shocked with the reactions it received with two other (as I was once one) die hard iPhone fans saying they are going to switch to WP8 soon. The comments around the screen size, color and speed of the phone are what I mostly received. The first question, "How was the App selection?" I told them it was thin (in comparison to Android and Apple) but it seems to be quickly filling in. I explained that the main apps I used on the iPhone are on the Windows Phone. Some aren't perfect yet but that this is pioneering a new step for Microsoft. Very positive reaction and review by the crowds today.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast