Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

I'm not sure I would call it a design defect. But I have a red 920 (for 2 weeks) and mine has absolutely no give or click. It looks and feels like a uni-body. If it were me I would exchange it.

No Clicking here.

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Cyan 920 and no clicky click from my phone
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    579 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    Well shucks... call the ****in president of the world because your cell phone casing flexes ever so slightly. News for you, mine does it too. I also don't give a sh*t.
    That's not what matters. What matters is that sound will get louder over time because the screen is not secured properly. When my L900 had it, I also didn't give a crap. But after 30 days it got really loud.

Erzhik - maybe it's best to exchange it for an 8X, it seems you've not had good luck with Nokia
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts
    Tetegra, am I missing something? All I see there is finger smudge, finger smudge, and different angle finger smudge.

Can you you use Photoshop and point out what the heck you are talking about?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    579 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfish54 View Post
    Erzhik - maybe it's best to exchange it for an 8X, it seems you've not had good luck with Nokia
    That was happening on my 900. My 920 doesn't have that problem.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    You people should be concerned because this could be the entry point where all the dust is collecting in the front facing camera.

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ibuyufo View Post
    You people should be concerned because this could be the entry point where all the dust is collecting in the front facing camera.
    It might be if I had dust in my front lens, which I and 99% of 920 owners don't.

Tetegra how come it looks like your screen has a chunk of it shaved off?

I can say that this is a real problem. If you press your thumb on the phone speaker at the top with your index finger against the back, then you can see and hear the top front of the glass move with the pressure. It also makes a slight creaking sound. I just noticed this today and was about to post on this forum asking the same question. If you do this same pressure against any other areas of the phone, such as the bottom near the capacitive buttons, then you get a rock solid feeling; there's no movement.

I also see a tiny speck of dust underneath the screen about half an inch south of the front-face camera (it could also be a dead pixel, not sure). It's not very noticeable, but it's there. I spotted this speck of something today, although it could have been there since the beginning. It's possible that this speck of dust got in because of the gap between the body and the screen. Unfortunately, it's a 920 developer build, so I don't know how to exchange it, if it's possible at all.

The phone works fine, but I'm concerned about MORE dust getting underneath the screen and the ffc. I guess I just have to wait for iFixit to get the 920 teardown!

EDIT: I have the 920 developer build, which came only in black.
    Last edited by kevinn206; 11-25-2012 at 02:35 AM.
    I think this is an issue. The glossy colors don't do it. And my Cyan doesn't do it either. Every black version that I've seen does it.

Not a design defect. You have a defective device. Its going to happen with any of these products built in sweatshops.

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts
    My black 920 has this issue. I didn't have my cyan phone long enough to find out if it had it. I solved the problem by not pressing down on the top of the phone. I do wonder, however, if this is what causes the rattling sound when the phone vibrates.

Just got my 1st black l920 and, so far, i have no issues with it, there is no gap (as above), i read somewhere that they are made in mexico but mine was made in china (according to the box it came in).... i wonder if there is a quality control issue depending on the country of manufacture?

Quote Originally Posted by alphonsohall View Post
    Just got my 1st black l920 and, so far, i have no issues with it, there is no gap (as above), i read somewhere that they are made in mexico but mine was made in china (according to the box it came in).... i wonder if there is a quality control issue depending on the country of manufacture?
    My developer kit box says made in China, if it means anything.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    3,658 Global Posts
    So, I absolutely am have this issue. Noticed it yesterday. Was just about to make a thread seeing if others had found this too, then I found this thread.

The first time I noticed it I almost thought it was a button. On my BlackBerry Dev Alpha device, the power on/off button is located at the top of the phone in the middle, so I accidentally did the same thing on my 920 one time and noticed it clicked. Then I was like... what the heck?! There's definitely a noticeable up/down movement with a bit of a click to it. To the right of the sim card slot, more over and even a bit to the right of the headset jack is where there's the most noticeable feel of a click. I didn't notice this on my first Lumia 920 (onto my second one now).

Wonder how many units will have this save behavior. It sounds like not all units are affected, but even based on this thread quite a few are / will be. Design defect or defective unit? Probably a bit of a both.... the design "looks" fine, but even based on this thread it seems this is going to be an issue that pops up a bit.... part of executing that design into manufacturing and something isn't quite 100% there.

It's not horrible by any means, basically would never notice unless you accidentally press up there, but definitely a bit annoying as of course I'd rather it be perfect.
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, EIC, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    Currently trying out the Lumia 920 while on my Mobile Nations World Tour waiting for BlackBerry 10.

I think I know what you have - I replaced the screen on my wifes Lumia 800 and noticed a clicking noise the next day when I pressed on the top section of the screen. I pulled the phone apart again (so easy once you know how) and found that the top of the screen had separated from the digitizer - I just super glued the sides back on and the click has gone. So I guess you are unlucky but this will be the noise - screen separating from digitizer.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Mine doesn't have the issue, but if someone else has it, he has the right to complain. We paid the same price, so he/she would expect it to be good quality.
    I don't understand people that say stop whining. If none of us complained, you would never be getting high build-quality phones.

Anyways, i would exchange it with a new one if it's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_J View Post
    I think I know what you have - I replaced the screen on my wifes Lumia 800 and noticed a clicking noise the next day when I pressed on the top section of the screen. I pulled the phone apart again (so easy once you know how) and found that the top of the screen had separated from the digitizer - I just super glued the sides back on and the click has gone. So I guess you are unlucky but this will be the noise - screen separating from digitizer.
    I should clarify that mine is not the screen. Nor do I think it is for many of these people. It is a slight flex in the unibody casing. My screen is rock solid. I am 100% sure if I opened the phone (which appears easy with the two exposed screws) that there would be an opening up there with nothing inside. This gives it the room to flex ever so slightly.

Ummm, who pushes the top of the phone anyways when there are not any buttons? I would understand this if the gap between the display and top part of shell is so big that it catches your attention. But without that, who in earth pushes (with significant force) area where there are nothing to be pressed or pushed?
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts
    If every phone has it and it doesn't affect the performance of the phone then it's NOT a flaw or defect. That's what's known as "it is what it is"
    Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

Yup I have the same thing. And this is my second Lumia. I went and exchanged mine cause I was having the vibrating issue. The Rogers rep and I went through 2 Lumias and the both of them was vibrating loudly. Anyhow we gave up and I took the last Lumia he brought out. The funny thing is that the Rogers rep really wanted to switch to windows phone but after he saw this defect I don't know what he's thinking now. With that being said, I love the OS although there is quite some room for improvement but I can live but the design quality that Nokia brought forth, I don't know man. I now have this squeaking/clicking noise from now both top and bottom of the phone including the vibrating noise. At first this exchange wasn't making the noise but before less than a day it began again. Am not a troll or anything cause am an avid Microsoft dude no other OS completes me lol. But there are something's I will acknowledge and not stick my head down in the sand like some dudes.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Board Express

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    My white one is solid. Don't think I have the issue.

Are people seriously getting worked up that their phone isn't perfect? How is something that is mass-produced supposed to be perfect?

Does this 'click' make my phone fall apart? No, it doesn't. So I don't care about it.
    Thanked by:
    ImmortalWarrior likes this.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast