Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree52Likes
  1. kilgore walleye's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
       #1  
    Switched over from iphone to lumia 920 because I was intrigued by windows phone and it was a good value vs the new iphone. Two weeks later, what a regrettable decision:

    • Battery life is pathetic. They should have given out 5 charging plates because this thing needs to be charged every time you set it down.
    • So much for being indestructible, too. Fumbled this monstrous beast while trying to put it in my pocket and the screen cracked after a 3 ft fall. Two hours talking to condescending nokia tech support, and they won't do anything to help me out. Now I have to lose my phone for two weeks while I mail it to some fly by night "third party repair specialist" for $182 (not including shipping, most likely) so I can cross my fingers and hope they repair it correctly. Now I'll be all in for around $300, which is the same price as a 32gb comparable iphone. Yea, the iphone's screen would probably have broken too, but at least I could walk into my friendly neighborhood apple store and they would replace it for me FREE OF CHARGE. Oh, and the iphone would be worth a lot more on the ebay market.
    • Meanwhile, I still don't have my wireless charging plate, and the price of the phone keeps dropping. I buy the phone for $100, and two weeks later it's selling for 1 cent on amazon, with free $90 headphones.
    • All this for what? So I can have a minuscule selection of mediocre apps, most of which are either not full featured, or horribly buggy. You can't even use evernote because it crashes every time you try to edit a note. And when I try to download words with friends, there isn't even an option to install it. That's probably for the best though, because from what I hear it's a bug infested after thought, a port of the ios version that a 12 year old could have done a better job executing.


    So here's to two more years of assured frustration, waiting impatiently for crappy versions of has-been ios and android apps to show up in the windows phone marketplace 9 months after they peak.

    Thanks Nokia. Way to treat someone who's trying to give your platform a shot. What should I tell somebody who asks me how I like my phone?
    RyanR47 likes this.
  2. tehkei's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    70 Posts
    #2  
    yeah that sucks, maybe get the extra warranty next time.
  3. sudakoma's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    70 Posts
    #3  
    Troll, troll, troll, troll, troll blah blah blah
    Thanked by:
  4. philxor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    264 Posts
    #4  
    What carrier are you on? Should have realized a couple days in you didn't like it and returned the phone.
  5. Hypetrak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #5  
    I also made the switch from the iPhone to the Lumia 920. However I've had the total opposite experience as you.

    I'm sorry your life sucks :(
    Thanked by:
  6. Dang Pham's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #6  
    Apple fix broken glass screen for free of charge? LOLOLOL
    Thanked by:
    Rich Edmonds, venom5150 and WPenvy like this.
  7. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,376 Posts
    #7  
    Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda........

    Ya know, nobody here would blame you if you came to the decision that WP8 just wasn't for you and been at least civil about it. The fact you have come here (first post at that) spewing you poison-tongue all over the place give us a little pleasure that you will be miserable for the next two years.

    G/L to ya Sport....
    WPenvy and Lenin17301 like this.
  8. kalex's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    #8  
    And stay out.
    WPenvy likes this.
  9. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #9  
    The best part about posts like these are the replies from extremely bitter Windows Phone fans, as if losing a customer means they loose some of their commission.
  10. philxor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    264 Posts
    #10  
    Hit it miss whether they do it for free or not but I know a few people including my wife who Apple replaced cracked screens with new phones as a 1-time courtesy.
  11. erzhik's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    376 Posts
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    #11  
    Another pathetic troll. And Apple doesn't change anything free of charge. You need apple care+ for that and even then its not guaranteed.
    Thanked by:
    Raylz 
    WPenvy likes this.
  12. Etyrnus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    340 Posts
    #12  
    Kthxbai troll
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com
  13. Hammered Pizza's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by iloathepats View Post
    Switched over from iphone to lumia 920 because I was intrigued by windows phone and it was a good value vs the new iphone. Two weeks later, what a regrettable decision:

    • Battery life is pathetic. They should have given out 5 charging plates because this thing needs to be charged every time you set it down.
    • So much for being indestructible, too. Fumbled this monstrous beast while trying to put it in my pocket and the screen cracked after a 3 ft fall. Two hours talking to condescending nokia tech support, and they won't do anything to help me out. Now I have to lose my phone for two weeks while I mail it to some fly by night "third party repair specialist" for $182 (not including shipping, most likely) so I can cross my fingers and hope they repair it correctly. Now I'll be all in for around $300, which is the same price as a 32gb comparable iphone. Yea, the iphone's screen would probably have broken too, but at least I could walk into my friendly neighborhood apple store and they would replace it for me FREE OF CHARGE. Oh, and the iphone would be worth a lot more on the ebay market.
    • Meanwhile, I still don't have my wireless charging plate, and the price of the phone keeps dropping. I buy the phone for $100, and two weeks later it's selling for 1 cent on amazon, with free $90 headphones.
    • All this for what? So I can have a minuscule selection of mediocre apps, most of which are either not full featured, or horribly buggy. You can't even use evernote because it crashes every time you try to edit a note. And when I try to download words with friends, there isn't even an option to install it. That's probably for the best though, because from what I hear it's a bug infested after thought, a port of the ios version that a 12 year old could have done a better job executing.


    So here's to two more years of assured frustration, waiting impatiently for crappy versions of has-been ios and android apps to show up in the windows phone marketplace 9 months after they peak.

    Thanks Nokia. Way to treat someone who's trying to give your platform a shot. What should I tell somebody who asks me how I like my phone?
    Okay, let's start from the top. Battery life is crummy on most phones. Invest in a mobile battery charger - it's a life saver that people just don't know about! This one is 6000 mAh, $35.99 from Amazon - different capacities, brands and price points are available. It's an absolute life saver - just plug in your phone when you need a little extra juice. A smaller one takes up no space at all in a pocket - trust me, it's worth every cent.

    First off, the phone is not advertised as 'indestructible'. I've friends who have dropped their phone hundreds of times and got by without as much as a hairline crack - and other friends with the same model have to go what you're going through from one drop. It all depends on what part of the phone is impacted, what it's dropped on, and a whole lot more factors. The Nokia does well on drop tests, but it doesn't mean it's invincible. If you broke your phone and you don't have insurance - tough luck. I know a lot of people who have done the same with iDevices and gained no sympathy. Apple Care is brilliant, but it's not free. Learn from your mistake, take out insurance. Your carrier should still be able to fix it though, I'd ask them.

    Early adopters always get screwed over with price drops - but with Black Friday and Christmas coming up, you must've seen this coming. Your charging plate will come, don't worry. If it's any consolation, the headphones aren't worth $90 - they'll be similar quality to a $20 brand name.

    Unless you need Evernote, I'd recommend trying out different things - be flexible. OneNote is great for note taking. I'm not sure who uses Words with Friends any more, but if you enjoyed that, then you'd love some of the other games Windows Phone has to offer - I'd highly recommend Wordament - a Windows exclusive, might I add.

    You knew about the app gap when you bought the phone, and made the decision that it wasn't a big enough deal to put you off. It's not Nokia's fault you bought the phone - the blame there lies squarely with you. If you do try other things out, you can get far more out of Windows Phone - but if you remain closed-minded then you'd have been better off with a new iPhone.
  14. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by erzhik View Post
    Another pathetic troll. And Apple doesn't change anything free of charge. You need apple care+ for that and even then its not guaranteed.
    So anyone who doesn't like Windows Phone automatically becomes a troll? Why? Is this OS made and designed by God that if for some reason you don't like it it means you're an ***** or a troll?
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  
    You dropping the phone is your fault, if you don't have insurance or apple care plus for the iPhone you should be charged because the phone cracking isn't a manufacture defect,it is from falling 3 feet. Your iPhone would have cracked as well. You should be happy it is only $190 to fix your phone.
    Sent from my lumia 920 using Board Express
    Rich Edmonds and thekonger like this.
  16. Hypetrak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    So anyone who doesn't like Windows Phone automatically becomes a troll? Why? Is this OS made and designed by God that if for some reason you don't like it it means you're an ***** or a troll?
    He never said someone who doesn't like Windows phone is automatically a troll. Definition of troll is someone "who posts inflammatory,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into anemotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

    So by definition, you are a troll aswell.
  17. thekonger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by iloathepats View Post
    Switched over from iphone to lumia 920 because I was intrigued by windows phone and it was a good value vs the new iphone. Two weeks later, what a regrettable decision:

    • Battery life is pathetic. They should have given out 5 charging plates because this thing needs to be charged every time you set it down.
    • So much for being indestructible, too. Fumbled this monstrous beast while trying to put it in my pocket and the screen cracked after a 3 ft fall. Two hours talking to condescending nokia tech support, and they won't do anything to help me out. Now I have to lose my phone for two weeks while I mail it to some fly by night "third party repair specialist" for $182 (not including shipping, most likely) so I can cross my fingers and hope they repair it correctly. Now I'll be all in for around $300, which is the same price as a 32gb comparable iphone. Yea, the iphone's screen would probably have broken too, but at least I could walk into my friendly neighborhood apple store and they would replace it for me FREE OF CHARGE. Oh, and the iphone would be worth a lot more on the ebay market.
    • Meanwhile, I still don't have my wireless charging plate, and the price of the phone keeps dropping. I buy the phone for $100, and two weeks later it's selling for 1 cent on amazon, with free $90 headphones.
    • All this for what? So I can have a minuscule selection of mediocre apps, most of which are either not full featured, or horribly buggy. You can't even use evernote because it crashes every time you try to edit a note. And when I try to download words with friends, there isn't even an option to install it. That's probably for the best though, because from what I hear it's a bug infested after thought, a port of the ios version that a 12 year old could have done a better job executing.


    So here's to two more years of assured frustration, waiting impatiently for crappy versions of has-been ios and android apps to show up in the windows phone marketplace 9 months after they peak.

    Thanks Nokia. Way to treat someone who's trying to give your platform a shot. What should I tell somebody who asks me how I like my phone?
    I agree with haptrack, my WP8 experience has been great. My daughter bought an iPhone 5 (actually, I bought it for her for early XMas as she would not listen to me) and it has locked up several times, scratchy call quality, and she came out for Thanksgiving and noticed she forgot her new charging cable. I could have offered her one of the 5000 mini-USB plugs I have, but of course it has the new Apple iFleeceU cable (yeah, that one, the one Apple uses for no other reason than to shake down their 'faithful' users), so.. dead phone.

    On my side let see, awesome phone for pretty much free, a ton of great apps (blame WWF on Zynga, and I don't need 50,000 fart apps to say I have a great app library like iOS does), FB and social integration into the people hub is sweet, tiles rock, camera is great, and the build is top notch (mine looks brand new). And now I just sent off for my free $90 Purity head set. It is sort of an unreal deal.

    Regardless, you seem to feel iOS is lacking, otherwise why would you jump to WP8? I have used an iPhone 3GS and Android and despite what they include in their next upgrade I would never switch, WP8 is too awesome, so why would I? But that's me, you are not in the same boat as you came from iOS and was frustrated with it and felt it was lacking and you needed to jump ship. If WP8 isn't your style maybe you should try Android. Doesn't compare to WP8 for me, but it's not a bad mobile OS.
  18. Hammered Pizza's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #18  
    Okay people, calm down. No need to start petty name calling.
    Thanked by:
  19. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,459 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,463 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by iloathepats View Post
    but at least I could walk into my friendly neighborhood apple store and they would replace it for me FREE OF CHARGE.
    • buuuuuuuulllllllllllllllll****

      dude...I can put up with a lot, but blatant LIES are not one of them. Take your FUD elsewhere and don't the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
    Thanked by:
  20. Etyrnus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    340 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    • buuuuuuuulllllllllllllllll****

      dude...I can put up with a lot, but blatant LIES are not one of them. Take your FUD elsewhere and don't the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
    Epic
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com
    Rich Edmonds and thekonger like this.
  21. kilgore walleye's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
       #21  
    OK here we go:


    • An alternate definition of troll is "someone who posts honest and legitimate criticisms using their real life experiences, in a forum with a large proportion of people who jump at the chance to make excuses for their chosen device, political party, etc." This second group of people are known as fanboys, or ideologues.
    • I'm not some kind of apple fanatic, it's the only smartphone I've had (like millions of other people) so it's the only phone I have to form the basis of an opinion on. I was in fact dissatisfied with it, hence the purchase of the 920.
    • Yes it's my first post...I've only had the phone for 14 days
    • Yes battery life sucks on most phones. My 2 year old iphone got me through the workday with at least 50% battery life. 920 gets me to about 20%; ie, not long enough to do anything after work. You say: "charge it at work". I say "why should I have to? and what if I go camping or hiking or on vacation? The great maps will be useless if it costs me 25% of my battery life to get directions driving or using public transit to get there"
    • you're right, 4 gazillion of the 5 gazillion iphone apps are garbage. But that still leaves 1 gazillion good ones. I wouldn't say the WP8 ratio is much better than that either, but unfortunately it doesn't have the benefits of a large population sample.
    • Yes it's my fault I dropped the phone. No I should not receive condescending tech support.
    • Phone insurance is for suckers. $12 a month to insure your phone, or whatever it costs these days? After a year of the insurance you could pay for most of the repairs yourself through the saving of the premiums.
    • Yes apple does replace phones as a courtesy. they were nice enough to do it once for me, and I didn't have apple care. There's nothing forcing Nokia to do the same. They're a for-profit corporation and their policies are their own. Hence there is one possible conclusion to draw: Apples customer service is too generous. How is that a loss for the consumer though?
    • In Nokias defense, they never said the phone was indestructible. That was everybody around here showing videos of people trying to destroy the phone in various ways.
    • I did know about the app gap, and after checking which apps I actually used and which ones were available in the windows store, I was confident that I could switch without a problem. For the most part, everything I need is here. I don't really need WWF, but if it's there why shouldn't I be able to use it to play a casual game? And better yet, why should I make an excuse for an app rather than voice a valid criticism? Evernote is another disappointment. Onenote is a great app, but it doesn't have the integration with other services that evernote has. An easy way for MS to mitigate this would be to create an email address for each users onenote account. That way, any app that allows sharing via email (basically all apps that share) would have a way to share with onenote


    Things I like about windows phone:

    • fantastic music apps like mixtapes, nokia music, etc.
    • metro ui
    • live tiles (although more apps could stand to make use of them, and some apps do not seem to update the livetile as they should)
    • start screen, pinning, etc.
    • have MOST of the apps that I normally use
    • very fast OS
    • very fast web browser
    • skydrive integration
    • social integration (i've gone from nonexistent on facebook to very active, due to the simplicity and cohesiveness of it's integration in the OS)


    I'm NOT apologizing to anyone here, but it wasn't my intention come off as offensive. What I've laid down are valid criticisms. More importantly, they're the things that people like me who come over here from another platform experience. PRECISELY the people that you WANT to come over to this platform. To blindly tear down any form of criticism, and worse yet to make excuses for the valid ones, is entirely counterproductive. I just hope the people at Microsoft, nokia, htc, etc. don't have the same mentality.
    Thanked by:
    RyanR47 and Klevis like this.
  22. thekonger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    #22  
    Pat, can you answer this,

    You obviously dislike and are frustrated with iOS, correct?
  23. SteveISU's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    #23  
    Apple is not as generous about replacing the screen since they offered apple care plus.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
  24. Hypetrak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by iloathepats View Post
    OK here we go:


    • An alternate definition of troll is "someone who posts honest and legitimate criticisms using their real life experiences, in a forum with a large proportion of people who jump at the chance to make excuses for their chosen device, political party, etc." This second group of people are known as fanboys, or ideologues.


    You just made that up.
  25. thekonger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    275 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypetrak View Post
    [/LIST]

    You just made that up.
    Yes he did. I wasn't going to point that out but want to get some dialog going with him first. A Google quoted search of part of the text only pointed me to WPC (which in reality, impressed the living **** out me. How did Google crawl this so quickly???)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bought an iPhone 4S
    By pseudoware in forum Apple iOS
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 06:36 PM
  2. Can't do that with an iPhone!!
    By baseballbert in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM
  3. So I bought an HTC Arrive today.
    By fallax in forum HTC Arrive / 7 Pro
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 12:28 PM
  4. So what can an iPhone do that a WP7 doesn't
    By red grenadine in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 09:14 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 12:39 AM

Posting Permissions

B