Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I finally received my new Cyan Nokia 920 this afternoon.

Was going through apps and Nokia Maps said there was an update. I follow along and install the update, but now when I try and open the Nokia Maps app it says there is a problem and I can first try to buy the app, but if that doesn't work I need to reinstall it. I can't 'buy' it and reinstalling the app brings back the same error message.

Anyone else seen this. Is there a known resolution. I'm stumped.
    Thanked by:

Glad that I'm not the only one with this issue. I tried uninstalling and installing the Nokia maps app a couple of times but it didn't help. Looks like the update screwed something up.

Anyone have a solution to this?

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Count me in. Endless cycle of uninstalling and installing...

Same issue with a yellow Lumia 920. Tried uninstalling, restarting, and then installing the app but no luck..

another issue here since updating. I got the phone yesterday, downloading UK map, everything worked fine, downloaded update and it's now broken.

P.S
    WHITE > CYAN ;)

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I've updated Nokia Maps too and everything seems to work without a problem (I have the map of The Netherlands downloaded).

I reset my phone to the factory settings from setting->about->reset as specified in the manual and it worked. Note that this will wipe all your personal data and installed apps.
    Cheers!

that's awesome...
    I'm trying this now will update when I'm done.

edit 1:
    windows phone stores a backup on your phone when you reset to factory and can resume. This gives you back nokia maps :D
    Note that this does not keep apps / media you've downloaded, nor does it save your tile layout. I'm unsure if that is the same if you backup to PC.

edit 2: after reading posts below, I realised that although I wasn't notified there are updates directly, the update is actually available in the app store. Downloading it brings back the issue of a broken app.
    Last edited by steven azari; 11-22-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Helpful, but also frustrating. It works to reset the phone, but Nokia maps will again indicate that an update is available and when I installed it it again has the same error. Not useful to have an app that works, but can never be updated.

odd, you are doing a reset? mine doesn't offer an update, says everything is already up to date...

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    This is happening to me as well; there seems to be no way around the problem. After a factory reset, a Nokia Maps upgrade is offered in the Store, along with several other Nokia apps. After this upgrade, when Nokia Maps is launched the same "uninstall/buy" prompt is shown every time.

I've reset both with a restore of a phone backup, as well as "from scratch" - same result.

Since all of these ways to try to resolve the problem wind up at the same outcome, I've concluded this has to be a problem with the app itself. I hope there will be a new version of the Nokia Maps apps soon which will fix this.

I've updated my original post - you are correct the update isn't fixed and redownloading breaks the app - I advise not downloading it for the moment if you use maps a lot.

I have the same issue on my red 920.

Yes, i expected to get an update notification as well and decided that i won't download the update until there's an update to fix the broken update. However, surprisingly, I never got an update notification from the store.

Hi,

My name is Dan and I'm part of the Nokia Maps team for Windows Phone.
    We are aware of the issues you all describe about updating to the latest version of Nokia Maps from Windows Store. We're looking into the issue as fast as we can with Microsoft.
    In the mean time, please don't upgrade. If you have the latest and can't wait for our fixes, you can perform a factory reset to get Nokia Maps 2.9 which comes preinstalled on your phones. Remember to backup your content before you do though.

Again, we're working as fast as possible to resolve this. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience this is causing all of you.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Thanked by:
    socialcarpet likes this.

Thanks for the update Dan, glad to hear your aware of the problem.

Personally I will just leave it as is at the moment as I rarely ever use maps anyway and I can't be bothered to reset my phone.

Another issue I hope Nokia will address too is the native maps app, I would much rather have it restored to my apps list for the simple matter of it loads instantly.

hi dan,
    thanks for the update :D I wasn't sure how to get in touch with you (how did you notice this thread? :S)
    Don't suppose you can add a compass to the users icon too (so we know which way you we are facing) ;)
    awesome work on the maps though (when I used it)

Thanks, excellent support woww
    socialcarpet likes this.

Thanks Dan,

I appreciate the reply. Looking forward to the fix and I am hopeful I won't even have to reset the phone again to install. :)

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    Is there anything else they'd like to F up on this phone? Really making it hard to get the nerve to buy one outright.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    I updated to latest Nokia Maps. Have no problem here. From the US. Do wish I can have Bing map as another choice.

Dan - can you please tell the decision makers at Nokia to give us back the option of the native Bing Maps app? It's completely ridiculous Nokia removed it from the OS. Bing Maps is much better and never had a problem.

@alex2364: Bing Maps has been replaced on Windows Phone 8 by Nokia maps for ALL devices, not just Nokia ones. Even HTC WP8 phones will have Nokia Maps. The decision was not Nokia's, it was Microsoft's. That said this Maps Update thing is such a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanket Alekar View Post
    @alex2364: Bing Maps has been replaced on Windows Phone 8 by Nokia maps for ALL devices, not just Nokia ones. Even HTC WP8 phones will have Nokia Maps. The decision was not Nokia's, it was Microsoft's. That said this Maps Update thing is such a hassle.
    I don't care what it's powered by. It's like Nokia decided to remove the shortcut to the native map app and re-skin it with their 3rd party solution. Go use a HTC 8X and you will see Bing Maps is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanket Alekar View Post
    Please stop spreading false information. Nokia data now powers Windows phone maps. HTC 8X does NOT have Nokia maps.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast