Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

My screen has a deep scratch in it and I don't know where I could have scratched it.....

I did not drop it, nor did I put it with my keys in my pocket...

anyone had that problem?

I thought Gorilla Glass 2 was tough... I was wrong apparently.
    Last edited by Dave Blake; 01-03-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Robert_H likes this.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    I have a feeling your "deep scratch" is actually a shallow scratch, in the oleophobic chemical layer that prevents smudging/oil build up. In which case, the gorilla glass itself is unaffected.

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantWade View Post
    I have a feeling your "deep scratch" is actually a shallow scratch, in the oleophobic chemical layer that prevents smudging/oil build up. In which case, the gorilla glass itself is unaffected.
    I can feel the scratch under my finger which is probably the deepest scratch I had on a device... and I had a lot of phones with plastic screens... It kind of **** me off in a way

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Thanked by:
    Robert_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealy666 View Post
    Of course. like everyone else here, I watched that video...
    but I took my phone out of my jeans' pocket and it was scratched... so i'm quite pissed off... it's not like I drop it or something....

So far no case and had the phone for a few weeks. In my jean pocket, coat pocket, car cup holder and no scratches here. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    It's funny you joined just to post this.
    I joined a few months ago............

Quote Originally Posted by o1legacygt View Post
    So far no case and had the phone for a few weeks. In my jean pocket, coat pocket, car cup holder and no scratches here. :)
    So for me, before today...
    Can you get a pic of your scratch? It should be fairly visible based on how deep you describe it as. It's not that I don't believe you, but it would be interesting to see documented deep scratches on the glass itself. If you can feel the scratch, I'd say it's a safe bet that this is the glass that's scratched, just as you claim.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Tupper View Post
    Of course. like everyone else here, I watched that video...
    but I took my phone out of my jeans' pocket and it was scratched... so i'm quite pissed off... it's not like I drop it or something....
    Can you post a picture of it?

You aren't the first one to report this with the new Gorilla Glass.

I don't get it. My wife had a Nokia N8 and now a Nokia 808 with Gorilla Glass. She jams her phone into a small purse, then tosses her keys, mirror, tweezers in there. I've seen her keys up against the screen. Her phones have never had a scratch or ding on the screen.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

2012-11-21t17-56-18_0.jpg Alright here it is sorry for the quality.. but I sadly couldn't use the Lumia 920's heavenly good camera so I was stuck with my iPod as a camera... but as you can see, it's really obvious...
    Thanked by:
    palandri likes this.

What people are not understanding in this thread... is that I am not complaining about my 920....... it love that phone... but I was expecting the gorilla glass to last longer than a week and half before it scratches like that... What's even more annoying is that I cannot remember when this could have happen... If only I dropped it or tried to scratch it and succeed (that would be really dumb, but I know some people who could be dumb enough to try)... I really just used it normally and at the end of the day I saw the scratch...
    Last edited by Simon Tupper; 11-21-2012 at 05:22 PM.

It's not clear with the quality of the picture but it's not a straight scratch it's as if someone took a sharp thing and scratched it while having shaky hands... not the kind of scratch I would have expected

I too got a small nick/scratch on mine as well after 2 days and have no idea how either. I treated the think like it was delicate as rice paper.

Same exact thing happened to my 900 in the *exact* same spot on the screen.
    Simon Tupper likes this.

Yeah it's annoying not to know how this could have happened... I have a friend who carries his GS3 in his tool bad when he's working and everything is scratched except the god damn screen...

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    I hate to say this, but there is a big ugly imperfection in the middle of my screen. I don't don't know how it got there but it is quite ugly and if i can't get rid of it I may return my 920.

Oops, never mind, that was my reflection. My screen is a big field of shiny happiness.
    kwambe5 and BeaverJuicer like this.

It also make a sound when I pass my finger nail on it, so it's quite deep... Anyone ever had a screen replacement or you gotta buy a new phone? cuz really I can see the scratch when the device is on which is annoying
    clint mote likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,745 Global Posts
    That's bad. You're certain that there's not a clear piece of thin plastic on top of the screen that you can pull off?
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Quote Originally Posted by thekonger View Post
    I hate to say this, but there is a big ugly imperfection in the middle of my screen. I don't don't know how it got there but it is quite ugly and if i can't get rid of it I may return my 920.

Oops, never mind, that was my reflection. My screen is a big field of shiny happiness.
    I am truly sorry about your self-esteem. But knowing that your Lumia 920 is just fine makes me feel better.
    matthewryans likes this.

That's bad. You're certain that there's not a clear piece of thin plastic on top of the screen that you can pull off?
    No...

But I'm used to it... when something is unlikely to happen... it happens to me. I guess I'm cursed.

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts
    I joined a few months ago............
    Not you, the one who posted the video....I guess am trying to get used to the new forum. Hit the reply button instead of reply with quote.

These scratch posts concern me. I am sure we will be getting a screen protector for ours.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    Not you, the one who posted the video....I guess am trying to get used to the new forum. Hit the reply button instead of reply with quote.

These scratch posts concern me. I am sure we will be getting a screen protector for ours.
    I would have got one if it wasn't from the guy at the store who told me "The screen is unlikely to be scratched, except for really minor scratches"

Salesmen Simon! Salesmen... don't listen to them

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts
    I would have got one if it wasn't from the guy at the store who told me "The screen is unlikely to be scratched, except for really minor scratches"

Salesmen Simon! Salesmen... don't listen to them
    Yeah, that's crap. The salesman was doing the opposite of his job. I usually don't believe salesmen, so I do the opposite, usually that's passing on everything though.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I actually have a couple VERY minor scratches on my screen. They're hard to see, but knowing they're there is enough for it to bother me a bit.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast