Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Weather Channel and Weather Flow both working great.
    Thanked by:
    Hmm I'm gonna just come out and say it. I think there's a chance I'm being a complete and utter noob.

I downloaded the trial of WeatherMaster and it said it needed the GPS turned on to locate me - makes sense. It kept crashing when I tried to get more information in the app (would just return me to the start screen) but this has led me to wonder - in Android the weather could locate me based on my mobile signal... can WP8 not do this? I've been keeping my GPS turned off to keep the battery life as high as possible, so in order for ANY weather app to know where I am in WP8 do I HAVE to have the GPS on? It's not a problem for me to turn GPS on when I'm out of town and I want weather info, but can anyone confirm that The Weather Channel (Nokia version) or any other weather apps (pref. free) will report current location with GPS on or is it limited to default location?

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    All the weather apps I have tried can pull your current location while the app is open (about 5-8 weather apps that have all been listed here). Not sure about the live tile automagically updating your location without opening the app though.

Gismeteo works fine.

Global Posts
    2,610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    All the weather apps I have tried can pull your current location while the app is open (about 5-8 weather apps that have all been listed here). Not sure about the live tile automagically updating your location without opening the app though.
    Amazing Weather can do it. It's awesome!

Weather Channel live tile not working for me either. Time to find new weather app.

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Amazing Weather can do it. It's awesome!
    great..yet another weather app for me to install. I think I have about 4-5 on there right now for comparisons ;)

EDIT: Sadly, no trial...so if the ones I am testing now don't work, I will consider it...

Weather View works like charm...

Global Posts
    826 Global Posts
    AMAZING WEATHER!

Trust me.

Weather Channel Live Tile does not update by itself for me either. It only updtes after I go into the app. Also Weather Channel does not give the weather for the current location but only for the default location which may be 100s of miles away. This stands for both the Nokia version and the regular version. AccuWeather does the same.
    I cannot understand why these Live Tiles behave differently for different people. The location service is enabled in the phone settings and in the app's settings.
    Really strange...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Weather Channel works fine and updates for me.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    No disrespect to the OP, but the weather tiles are about the only ones I'm NOT unhappy with since they work as advertised and are useful.
    Developer

Amazing Weather (beta) works great for me.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: DanSmithKY

Global Posts
    1,011 Global Posts
    Amazing Weather us one of the best out there.

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    WeatherMaster is doing a great job of updating the live tile with current weather and location. Weather Flow was nice, but it didn't seem to update the location as timely.

I like the MS weather app. It's so simple, and kind of blends in with the other "standard" tiles, and yes it updates in a timely manner =)

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pjeung View Post
    I like the MS weather app. It's so simple, and kind of blends in with the other "standard" tiles, and yes it updates in a timely manner =)
    What I didn't like was that when opening from the tile, it only opens the city that is pinned. There didn't seem to be a way to get to another city without opening the app from the app list. Also, it doesn't change locations as you move. The pinned location is the pinned location, not your current location.
    Banned

My Weather live tile works fine but the app doesn't seem to do hourly weather for me

Amazing Weather does work. I just forgot that you have to PIN your location to the start screen, not just pin the app...
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    What I didn't like was that when opening from the tile, it only opens the city that is pinned. There didn't seem to be a way to get to another city without opening the app from the app list. Also, it doesn't change locations as you move. The pinned location is the pinned location, not your current location.
    ahh yes that is true.. I guess i'm selfish and only care about the weather that directly affects me haha.

I've just been using USA Today because it flips between highlight photos and the weather, but the app itself doesnt have much weather info.

Quote Originally Posted by BotanicalStig View Post
    You are pinning the livetile to the home screen, right? Swiping over to the apps and holding on the app icon to pin it will not give you live updates. Most weather apps have a "pin" button when you have the app open and running.

Most "metro" style weather apps are really weak on the information side of things. The stock weatherchannel app, as fugly as it is, is the only one I like.

Can you elaborate on this please? I don't know a method of pinning something besides swiping to the Apps screen, long pressing, and selecting Pin.

Quote Originally Posted by camilo897 View Post
    Can you elaborate on this please? I don't know a method of pinning something besides swiping to the Apps screen, long pressing, and selecting Pin.
    Apps can support multiple tiles, not just the primary. You could, for example, Pin two different cities weather or two of your favorite sports teams. The primary tile isn't necessarily live.

In weather channel (Nokia version) you go to locations, long press on the location, and select show live tile. This sort of thing is app specific.

Thanks! Great to know. This is my first Windows Phone and I just got it yesterday.

The Weather Channel by Nokia works the best for me. There is an "identical" app out by Microsoft that was updated more recently that works as well, but I don't like it as much because the live tile seems to be lower res/quality, although it does flip through an extra animation (a map I believe).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast