Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Does anyone know what that little dot in s circle next to the battery level is.It goes on periodically for a few moments.
    Thanks

Gps
    Yeah an app or service is using your location:)

If its the one that appears for a brief period then disappears, its the Find my Phone tracking recording your location.
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com
    Thanked by:

Does anyone know if part of the OS is using this even when all the apps have location set to OFF? I also do NOT have the OS set to record the location for "find my phone" purposes.

The only time it should appear is if either the OS is recording your position, or you have an app running that is actively GPS locating you. If you have location service turned off, it should only appear if your using maps or GPS
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com

Id like to know what the dot with 2 brackets round it are, its under the rewind button when i press the volume rocker, thanks

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgross View Post
    Does anyone know what that little dot in s circle next to the battery level is.It goes on periodically for a few moments.
    Thanks
    Location services, aka battery destroyer.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alogde#WP View Post
    Id like to know what the dot with 2 brackets round it are, its under the rewind button when i press the volume rocker, thanks
    +1

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I believe this is killing my battery as well. I have disabled everything location related that I can find and will see how this affects battery performance on a full charge tomorrow.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Not seeing that one, unless its a music track that doesn't have any identity materials. When I've had music playing the artist/track name appears there.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing ... so I clicked it and it brought WhatsApp up ... don't know if that's what it does for everybody else ...
    Last edited by Chris Parsons; 11-20-2012 at 09:14 AM.
    Make sure Nokia drive background is blocked
    Sent from my lumia 920 using Board Express

@ cbrunn22 it also opens whatsapp on mine, does anyone know what is happening? Thanks
    the dot in a circle is GPS (location). I had Find My Phone set to auto update, and that little icon was coming on a lot. i turned that off and it still seems like it comes up a lot. i don't have any apps running in background like nokia drive or anything. i turned them all off except i think weather.

Id like to know what the dot with 2 brackets round it are, its under the rewind button when i press the volume rocker,
    It means that the song is being streamed rather than playing from your phones memory.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunn2 View Post
    Yeah I was wondering the same thing ... so I clicked it and it brought WhatsApp up ... don't know if that's what it does for everybody else ....
    It means your straeaming the song rather than playing from the phones memory
    Last edited by Chris Parsons; 11-20-2012 at 09:15 AM.

They mean you are streaming the song over data connection

Global Posts
    584 Global Posts
    Its nice to have all these features we can't use without sucking our battery dry. I've had to delete app after app and turn off everything to even get close to my BB battery life and my battery life is still great one day and terrible the next. Phone works fine as long as I don't do anything with it. It only seems to lock up if i type on it.😒MS has a long way to go to have a chance with this. Love the hardware and love the potential in the software, but so far not to impressed with the delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Its nice to have all these features we can't use without sucking our battery dry. I've had to delete app after app and turn off everything to even get close to my BB battery life and my battery life is still great one day and terrible the next. Phone works fine as long as I don't do anything with it. It only seems to lock up if i type on it.😒MS has a long way to go to have a chance with this. Love the hardware and love the potential in the software, but so far not to impressed with the delivery.
    I have location services on, gleek and a weather app running in background, and work in a building that at best I get one bar 4g signal,with a hidden battery draining WiFi, and my 920 will last all day at work. My focus flash would be dead by 3 pm. So big improvement to me.

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Sounds like you should try a hard reset.

And yes, the two brackets around the dot mean the song is being streamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Emcee View Post
    Sounds like you should try a hard reset.

And yes, the two brackets around the dot mean the song is being streamed.
    Learn something new every day lol.

S
    Quote Originally Posted by Etyrnus View Post
    Learn something new every day lol.
    so why does it open whatsapp when i click on it? Thanks

Is what's app behind it on the home screen?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeet1981 View Post
    Is what's app behind it on the home screen?
    No it even works for me from lock screen ... I just click that button in the volume bar and it brings up WhatsApp straight from the Lock screen