Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    I returned mine... but not for the "traditional" reasons. The MS store got cyan in so I wanted to pick that up along with the protection plan. There was a problem processing my upgrade today, so back to the 4S until that gets settled (hopefully tomorrow). As much as I complained about this phone, I already miss it. What do I miss most? Web browser and reading the news. I will say I enjoyed hearing the custom text tones on my iPhone all day though. Knowing who is texting you before you pick up the device is pretty nice. Especially with work related stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvcleave View Post
    My daughter has a 4S and that is even to big for her. If she does not have her purse and tries to put it in her pocket it sticks out. I believe Nokia and other manufactures should give more options.
    Respectfully, if the iPhone 4 is too big for her, even additional options from anyone else is going to be too big too.

At the end of the day these companies need to make a decision. They are already releasing a bunch of devices. They want to go with interchangeable parts, when they can, but most of all "interchangeable" software as well. Providing support, updates, etc. costs money, money, money. And the more devices you have, the more green you have to throw at them.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    NYC_Rock - try the app SBUX for the starbucks card...been using it on my 900 for some time now. Sorry can't help on the other two.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts
    I returned my 920. The overheating issue it had bothered me but I could live with it. The connectivity issue, on the other hand, was not; in the 3 days I had it, there were 4 occasions when I had 4 bars of signal but none of the apps would connect. They'd just sit there syncing until I restarted the phone. My intention was to swap the phone for a new one but when I got to the AT&T store and laid hands on the 8X, I was sold. So I got an 8X.

I'm staying with Windows Phone, though. The lack of apps doesn't bother me, I'm not a huge app consumer anyway (on my 32gb iPhone 4 the only apps I had consistently installed were OneNote, Facebook, and Strava [which I will miss, sadly]). I run Windows 8 on my personal laptop and my work desktop and I really like the homogeneity of the two systems.

Global Posts
    1,819 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    I returned my 920. The overheating issue it had bothered me but I could live with it. The connectivity issue, on the other hand, was not; in the 3 days I had it, there were 4 occasions when I had 4 bars of signal but none of the apps would connect. They'd just sit there syncing until I restarted the phone. My intention was to swap the phone for a new one but when I got to the AT&T store and laid hands on the 8X, I was sold. So I got an 8X.

I'm staying with Windows Phone, though. The lack of apps doesn't bother me, I'm not a huge app consumer anyway (on my 32gb iPhone 4 the only apps I had consistently installed were OneNote, Facebook, and Strava [which I will miss, sadly]). I run Windows 8 on my personal laptop and my work desktop and I really like the homogeneity of the two systems.
    Miss Strava no more! I asked the same question here a few months back, and here is the answer I recently got:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...7-cecb3555b03c

Looks like a solid app.
    Make with the WP purchase already one time why dontcha for pete's sake. Honestly.....

Global Posts
    1,480 Global Posts
    I tried that on my 920, but the app stopped recording 10 seconds into the ride. I uninstalled the app at that point. I have yet to try it since I got my 8X, but I'll give it another shot. :)

I came from a long line of android devices (G1, myTouch, Nexus One, GS1) and made the jump to windows phone shortly before Mango. Sure there are a few apps missing but I have found third party apps or equivalent apps to take their place and have not looked back.

I absolutely love how smooth the OS is and it feels more like a friend than a tool.

Focus, Lumia 900, Lumia 92
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pvcleave View Post
    My daughter has a 4S and that is even to big for her. If she does not have her purse and tries to put it in her pocket it sticks out. I believe Nokia and other manufactures should give more options.

Nokia 700 - Smartphone with NFC Technology - Nokia - UK

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I have made switch from google to Microsoft ecosystem (outlook.com/sky drive/etc) and it definitely enhances WP8. Er even use office 365 at work so everything fits together nicely. That said, i can see that if i was still w/ google i might not enjoy wp8 as much

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Genesyn likes this.

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts
    I love the 920, the battery life just isn't there. I'm not sure what to do...
    ryzama likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    All the commotion regarding the size and weight of the phone was without merit. The phone isnt so heavy to hold that you need to spend more time at the gym in order to use it. The build quality is classy, the screen is gorgeous and with some futzing around the camera on the 920 isnt bad at all. You know who doesnt like to futz with camera settings? A lot of people this phone could be marketed to.

To be fair, I havent used my 920s camera too much. I think some of that has to do with convenience factor as much as just being in the right situation to use it. The camera on the 920 doesnt come on instantly. Because of the slight delay getting there I tend to miss a shot. By comparison the HTC One X had a near instantaneous camera switch and I could unload with dozens of shots in succession in order to achieve that perfect picture. Doesnt mean the 920 has a bad camera or the One X has the best camera. A phone with a built in DSLR would be ideal but I wouldnt want to pay $1,000 subsidized for the privilege.

I had to return mine after having really bad battery performance and tried to do a factory reset in the settings to see if that would help but then it got bricked. Great phone hardware but the bad battery killed it got me and when it got bricked I had to get rid of it. Sucks because I paid $90 to get it unlocked.

Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    I'm 7 days in and haven't made up my mind yet. I didn't pay anything for it (with a gift card and price match) and I still have my HOX. I love the voice features while in the car. Never have to take phone out of pocket to hear and respond to texts. Screen animations and transitions are awesome. I love my HOX but you get really tired of the loading screen when you go to your home screen.

Once I turned off Tap + Share and made sure I don't leave apps like drive running in the back ground then my battery life has been excellent. I was on phone call four hours Saturday from 7am-11am. have push notifications, couple more calls, some web browsing and at 9 pm I still had three hours of battery left. My HOX would have never done that. Overall I love the phone except for a couple of small issues which I have stated in other threads. Biggest being custom notification sounds and individual text tones. I miss being able to know who was contacting you and how. If they bake that into OS or Ringo makes an app I will be set.
    Last edited by Chris Parsons; 11-20-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Mine looked like it had a dark screen protector on it too until I disabled the automatic brightness adjust.

Settings < brightness < Automatically adjust - Off

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    i got a black 920 on launch day. to use with my mac. i was very impressed with it first off. for about a week everything was great. it would get kinda hot if i used it too much.

then i noticed the glaring issue. i need internet sharing, the internet hotsot feature would turn on, but then it would not work. or it would only work for 30 seconds to a minute. then my computers would not drop connection, but the connection just wouldn't work. tried it multiple times. with a mac, and a windows computer. and the only fix was to restart the phone. and then try again. then it would only work for a little bit again.

battery life was not great, when i got home from my trip i decided to do a device reset. it successfully reset. and it still had the internet sharing problem. so i tried to sync my music back up. i figured it was just a bug, and maybe a patch would fix it later. but then the sync app would crash when i plugged my phone in. weird, so i tried again, and crash.. tried about 30 more times. every single time it would crash. couldn't get it working after that. at this point i just got so fed up that i knew i was going to go back to the store.

i originally wanted to steer clear of the iphone because i'm worried about the aluminum bending.. but i really like the iphone software. so i went ahead and got an iphone 5 64 gig.

but anyways. other things i didn't like about the nokia 920

i don't like the touch sensitive buttons. they are too easy to accidentally hit. i would always be trying to browse the internet, and i would try to reach the back button, which is hard to do because it's so big. i have smallish hands so thats another reason i dislike the phone. even though the phone WAS technically bigger. the iphone's screen doesn't seem smaller, because i just hold it a couple inches closer.

the speech was not that great compared with siri, after using siri for a day on my way home. Wow, theres a big difference, siri almost always gets what you said. you can use it to text, you can have it type on the keyboard in any app. you can ask it real language questions.

nokia maps were pretty good. i had NO problems whatsoever driving my rental car around in a completely new to me city.
    Last edited by graigsmith; 11-19-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: edit

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    I wonder what the return rates on this thing are?

Quote Originally Posted by FLLMTR View Post
    The weight is not really a bother to me. I am curious though as to what kind of metal is in these suckers. I keep checking Youtube daily frequently to see if someone posts a disassembly video.
    What i would guess for the weight being a little 50 grams more is the fact that it has probably and inductor coil like something for wireless charging, the camera lens float on springs, and then there's magnets around the camera (yes, embedded magnets) for easily attaching filters on your L920.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I'm really digging the 920, but I'm on the fence about keeping it. The single biggest issue for me is the battery life. It isn't that mine is bad, but it's inconsistent. I rely far too much on my phone to have to "manage" the battery all day. I am thinking about returning it for the Galaxy Note II.

I switched from the 920 to the 8x. Reason being? First off, while I can lift and manage the bulky device, it wasn't a NATURAL fit for me. Putting a case on it made it much more bulky especially for a 4.5 inch screen. So without the protector it was very slippery (I had a glossy white) so I was always afraid of dropping it. And don't dare say these things are indestructible. I've seen a few accidents posted here and other places already. I also don't see why they chose to go with that silver camera area too. It got scratches on the 900, why do this again? Also, I like the sound better through headphones on my 8x. Not night and day better, but noticeable.

SO at the end of the day, the main factor was not weight, but ergonomics. The 8x was easily the more grab and go device. May have a couple short comings in comparison to the 920, but not enough that I miss the 920 alot. So what they have apps. I have a car with navigation that is better than nokia drive. The other apps they are getting exclusively for a few months, no big deal. Help work out all the bugs for the community so by the time other devices get it then it's more polished. Thanks for your services. lol. I really do wish Nokia would revamp their technology to be smaller. With a phone that size, yes the camera tech and all that better be top notch.

EDIT:Also, my wife's 8x had way better battery life. I got like 8-9 with my 920. My wife was getting mid 15-18 with moderate use. A couple phone calls, reddit all day and a few videos. I'm getting about that much now with my 8x.
    Last edited by cp2_4eva; 11-20-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Additional info.

Global Posts
    875 Global Posts
    The camera facia on the 920 is made of a special metal that does not scratch. Same with the buttons.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    KoukiFC3S likes this.

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigJMoney View Post
    I'm really digging the 920, but I'm on the fence about keeping it. The single biggest issue for me is the battery life. It isn't that mine is bad, but it's inconsistent. I rely far too much on my phone to have to "manage" the battery all day. I am thinking about returning it for the Galaxy Note II.
    Currently using a note 2 and the battery life is amazing. Phone is off the charger at 6:30am and by 11:30pm with heavy use and 4-5 hours of screen time I'm at 40-50%. Screen is at full brightness with auto shut off and zero battery saving measures activated.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

Global Posts
    875 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoblation View Post
    I think OP can handle the weight, but the bulk was just too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Landsharkk View Post
    I believe the Samsung ATIV S is larger than the Lumia 920?

Also, to the OP, the size of the phone is due to the built-in features of the Lumia 920. Wireless charging, the floating-lense camera, large battery, etc. It's the things people like about the Lumia 920 that make it the size it is.
    Huh? I never complained about the weight or size of the phone, im not a sissy.

Hi everyone,
    I found this forum/thread yesterday and created an account today. I will create a separate thread to see if anyone has any suggestions, but what really bugs me about this phone/OS is that I cannot find a car stereo receiver that I can hook my phone up to (via USB; I don't like using the Aux port) to play music. The main reason I bought an iPhone years back was to eliminate the need to carrying around a smartphone and an iPod.
    I was hoping that I could hook up my Lumia 920 to a car stereo (any stereo; I stopped at Best Buy last night and none of them worked) and have it read the music much like a USB flash disk, but I was very disappointed when I couldn't. It's like being back in 2007. :P

Is it enough to make me return it? It might be...
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    If you don't mind me asking, what do you have against using the AUX port? Is it because you cannot use the controls from your car's stereo to navigate your music library?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast