I'm new, be gentle ;)

I've read a few threads with people having similar problems, but not sure how common it is. The first 3 days were fine but in the last 24 hours my phone has switched itself off 3 times and refused to turn on by the power button. Instead I'm having to press volume down and power to initiate some sort of hard reboot. This is pretty worrying... when it comes back on the date and time are always screwed up, set back to some sort of default.

I don't have too many apps installed (no words with friends) as one thread was discussing. Are many having this issue? Not sure whether to return it and swap it, or just hold out for a software/firmware update from MS/Nokia.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    This hasn't happened to me for the first week and a half but since yesterday, my 920 has went off twice since last night. I had to do a hard reboot every time to get it back up and running. I've seen a number of people having this issue on the forums, but I'm not ready to go in and get it replaced as I'm placing my hopes on a update to fix this.

It's strange. I've started uninstalling apps 1 by 1 in the hope to find the culprit (if indeed it is an app), I only have 3 apps that run as background tasks, so I've started with them. 1 was a battery monitoring app, since that was removed, no reboots. Fingers crossed

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Strange indeed. I've done similar this morning - uninstalled the last three apps that I've downloaded to see that was the issue. The only apps that I am running in the background now is battery monitoring, weather channel, and CNN.
    It's a known issue, supposedly with WP8. I know similar things have been happening for 8x users, so it seems the Lumia is not alone.
    Thanked by:

That actually makes me feel better. At least I know it's not my hardware then.

It's happened to me 3 times now.

Never had the problem myself but as it doesn't seem too widespread (most are not having this issue) maybe a full hard reset to factory default (not the soft reset referred to as a hard reset noted above) would correct. At least that is what I would try if it were happening to me.

Looks like it is more widespread than first thought: Windows Phone 8 reboot woe causes outpouring of forum misery ? The Register
    It seems quite a few over on Nokia's forums are expressing the similar problems.

This happened to me today. Got me pretty mad. I think this is a different issue than the random reboots (had that once, didn't bother me much). When the phone goes black and appears to be off, it's actually on, at least in my case it was. I should have called or texted the phone to test but I was not in the mood. I plugged it in to my computer and the phone was recognized. At that point my suspicions were confirmed: the phone was on but the display was black and unresponsive. It was either frozen in sleep mode or was not getting the signal to "wake up". I did a four button salute (didn't know I only had to hold vol - and power) and it rebooted. I'll keep an eye on this issue. It better get fixed ASAP.

Got my 920 yesterday. Happened once within the first 30 minutes after I powered it on - no apps were installed yet except for the ones included after first boot. Happened again 2-3 hours later after reinstalling everything. Then I had one weird instance where I tried to shut down with a long press of the power button and it just stayed on the "Goodbye" screen until I did a reboot with the volume/power combination. Haven't had anything happen since though.

It does seem like a common problem so I'm hoping a software update fixes it.

I did a factory reset on Monday after reading some advice on here. Things were fine for about 48 hours and then had my first lockup last night. Can't decide whether to request a replacement handset or wait for an update.

This is a major issue, i have this problem as well in 1 week i had about 4 times my lumina 920 won't wake up. I have to soft reset it to work...!! I hope some updates will fix this...

Just to update.
    P4U exchanged my phone today, no questions asked. Really pleased with their customer service. Let's hope this one doesn't lock up :)

Anyone still having this issue? Since the first time it happened to me 3-4 days after launch, I went a week with no issues. Today mine has done this 3 times so far. Really bad when I begin to get emails about people trying to call me only to notice my phone has turned itself off. Wondering what is triggering it since I've gone this long without the issue and today I am up to 3 resets to get it back on.