Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree4Likes
  1. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm not a troll I have a 920 (which is getting replaced because of a bad battery) but is there anything in this phone\os even come close to android or IOS features?
  2. #2  
    Voice recognition is lacking. You would have to give me specific problems you have with other features for me to comment further. For the most part, I find them on par or better than the competition.
  3. Landsharkk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    #3  
    Check out the app "Ask Ziggy". It's similar to Siri and Iris, but for Windows Phone.

    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...2-040e1e7356cb
  4. chrgeorgeson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #4  
    Ask Ziggy isn't available on WP8.
    Thanked by:
  5. fradchad's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #5  
    I have actually been surprised at how much better the voice recognition is compared to my galaxy nexus. Now that was a piece of junk in translating.
  6. MaulerX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    220 Posts
    #6  
    Your thread is about the voice recognition being "Horrible" ( which I totally disagree). Then you start of by saying your not a troll. Then you say this:


    "is there anything in this phone\os even come close to android or IOS features?"




    Come on now. :dry
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by fradchad View Post
    I have actually been surprised at how much better the voice recognition is compared to my galaxy nexus. Now that was a piece of junk in translating.
    Seriously? Wow. Completely different experience on my end.
  8. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by fradchad View Post
    I have actually been surprised at how much better the voice recognition is compared to my galaxy nexus. Now that was a piece of junk in translating.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    Seriously? Wow. Completely different experience on my end.
    Same with me when I was using my GNex. Google does a great job of speech recognition. I used it extensively.

    WP8 does a good job too, I just can't get it to put a "." When I say "period".
  9. Sniper1087's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    Seriously? Wow. Completely different experience on my end.
    I agree with you I had an iPhone and a SGS3 and both have better recognition, also had a JB Rom on the SGS3 so I had Google Now and well the WP8 Voice recognition fails most of the time with simple tasks like call that person, I will say 60-70% of the time fails,I cant wait for an app to be working just like competitors, other than that love my lumia.
  10. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    I'm not a troll I have a 920 (which is getting replaced because of a bad battery) but is there anything in this phone\os even come close to android or IOS features?
    This post is a joke, right?

    Question for you: why did you get the 920? If there is nothing that "comes close" to Android or iOS, then why not just stick with those? Your post is obviously meant to stir up controversy, which is why you felt the need to preface it by saying you're not a troll.
  11. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaulerX View Post
    Your thread is about the voice recognition being "Horrible" ( which I totally disagree). Then you start of by saying your not a troll. Then you say this: "is there anything in this phone\os even come close to android or IOS features?" Come on now. :dry
    the voice recognition,daytime camera is buggy,many users have to turn everything off just to get the phone to stay on due to s hanky battery (hopefully this gets fixed),Nokia drive, maps,NFC, I dunno every major feature that this handset advertised has to be disabled or is buggy gor some reason or another. How does that make me a troll. I'm typing this on a cyan 920 (which is also affected by a crap battery and I'm waiting for a replacement)
  12. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    This post is a joke, right? Question for you: why did you get the 920? If there is nothing that "comes close" to Android or iOS, then why not just stick with those? Your post is obviously meant to stir up controversy, which is why you felt the need to preface it by saying you're not a troll.
    I got the 920 because I was bored of the iPhone. I love the WP is I used a Sammy focus for a little bit and liked it. I was gonnna use my upgrade and get a 900 but after reading about the issues with the crap camera and such I held out for wp8. When the 920 was announced I fell in the with its size, and features but having the features and not being able to use them is pathetic or having them and they are just plan bad is disappointing. Its not about stirring up anything. Its about being a disappointed consumer. I'm a Yankee fanatic and I'm highly critical of the team. I like WP is and the Lumia 920 but because if all these issues I've become critical of both,doesn't mean I'm trolling.
  13. NickA's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    I got the 920 because I was bored of the iPhone. I love the WP is I used a Sammy focus for a little bit and liked it. I was gonnna use my upgrade and get a 900 but after reading about the issues with the crap camera and such I held out for wp8. When the 920 was announced I fell in the with its size, and features but having the features and not being able to use them is pathetic or having them and they are just plan bad is disappointing. Its not about stirring up anything. Its about being a disappointed consumer. I'm a Yankee fanatic and I'm highly critical of the team. I like WP is and the Lumia 920 but because if all these issues I've become critical of both,doesn't mean I'm trolling.
    I too am a Yankees fan. Anyway, give it some time and give the phone a chance. It's obvious you do not know much about the phone or OS by your statements. Browse the forums and the main site for help. But don't come here and make broad negative statements about the phone, on a Windows Phone forum, and expect to be well received.
    Thanked by:
    GoodThings2Life likes this.
  14. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #14  
    my statements are not just my own and they are facts for a large portion of users of this forum. I want wp8 and this phone to succeed or I wouldn't have purchased it. We are all here to support these devices and this platform but there's no reason for sugar coating the issues. If I didn't want the phone I wouldn't be waiting 2 weeks for Att to send me a replacement. At this point there shouldn't be this many issues with the is or the device. Microsoft and Nokia obviously rushed them just like MS did with windows 8 and xbox360. Pump it out and patch it later. That's sad.
    . Apple seems to be going down this route as well and their quality is diminishing. Samsung looks like the only competent OEM right now.
  15. #15  
    Joey. Read your first post. That is what has people upset. Its that simple. Almost nothing you said there is objective. It doesn't matter what your intentions are, you came off as a person trying to get a rise out of people here. And it turns out you did. There are better ways to have approached the problem. Accept that and move on rather than trying to defend yourself here... Mu two cents.
  16. #16  
    As far as your rushed to market comment, I agree. On ghag same token people here, myself included, were upset that the phone wad announced and then everyone was keeping a tight lip on a launch date. The point where they tripped up is that they wanted to get the phone into the public eye before apple and google got theirs out. All the while they had issues unresolved, as I think is evidence of them pushing the release dates out so far, and then of course the gross lack of purchasable handsets. The market is so competitive that it just seems to be the nature of the beast anymore.
  17. joeynox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    588 Posts
    Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
       #17  
    by me saying the voice recognition. And other features are horrible are bad got people defensive? That's their problem. There's no reason to be defensive. Its simple the truth. If people can't take the truth then they have issues. I'm not going to coddle anyone or sugar coat things. I like the hardware I just wish certain aspects worked or were better than what was promised.every post in these forums when someone says they are disappointed with the outcome of the phone or wp8 they get slammed so unless you have a perfectly working device along with features you can't express your displeasure while other can have orgasms over their happiness . Lumgasms? Lumiagasms? Lugasms? Hmmm
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    by me saying the voice recognition. And other features are horrible are bad got people defensive? That's their problem. There's no reason to be defensive. Its simple the truth. If people can't take the truth then they have issues. I'm not going to coddle anyone or sugar coat things. I like the hardware I just wish certain aspects worked or were better than what was promised.
    there is seriously ambiguity on what i was referring to? You literally asked if anything this phone dies comes close to android or IOS. THAT is what got people defensive. Nobody wants coddling or sugar coating.

    Also, when you have to open your post with "I am not a troll", that says a little about what you are saying. Had you left those two parts in question out nobody would have issues. Look at the responses and see for yourself.
  19. MaulerX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    220 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    my statements are not just my own and they are facts for a large portion of users of this forum. I want wp8 and this phone to succeed or I wouldn't have purchased it. We are all here to support these devices and this platform but there's no reason for sugar coating the issues. If I didn't want the phone I wouldn't be waiting 2 weeks for Att to send me a replacement. At this point there shouldn't be this many issues with the is or the device. Microsoft and Nokia obviously rushed them just like MS did with windows 8 and xbox360. Pump it out and patch it later. That's sad.
    . Apple seems to be going down this route as well and their quality is diminishing. Samsung looks like the only competent OEM right now.


    Listen to yourself. Your thread title is about the voice recognition being "Horrible". Then, you slowly but surely morphed the topic from voice recognition to pretty much a laundry list of complaints. Yes some people have less than optimal battery issues, but that's why there is a thread dedicated to that with people genuinely trying to help each other by posting suggestions that actually work and help. And it's the nature of the beast that people with issues are more vocal. I'm willing to wager that there are far more people without issues than you might be led to believe.
  20. ALpHa.Q.RoUgH's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    335 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    #20  
    I'll give him this though, might not have to do with voice recognition but, Speech to Text through a bluetooth on this phone is vastly different and I would say time consuming compared to my Titan II.

    On my Titan II, i received a text, lady repeats the message (ask if I want to respond or ignore), I respond (ask if it's correct and would like to send) done!

    On my Nokia 920, I receive a text, there is a 2 second delay before she reads, there is another option now which I feel doesn't make sense, I respond (ask if it's correct and would like to send) then done. It may look the same but there is a difference between the two phones.
  21. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    945 Posts
    #21  
    From the times I've used it voice recognition is excellent on the 920, but does seem to have issues with background noise. Seems.ok with road noise but tv in the background is a problem.
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express
  22. #22  
    @OP ... I don't mean to sound defensive, I just entirely disagree with your premise. I posted a few weeks ago about an experience I had with Siri vs. Windows Phone. And, in fact, Siri failed every attempt to get it to do ANYTHING. Windows Phone, on the other hand, did everything I asked. It's just about knowing its limits and what the commands are. It's not intended to be a free-speech engine, and that seems to confuse people. Pay attention to the "What Can I Say?" instructions.

    Now that said, I also use it to dictate text messages, and while as a grammar Nazi I become infuriated by it's inability to grasp the concept of punctuation, I find the actual word recognition to be very good... but you do have to speak clearly. Slurring your words or speaking quickly will trip up any speech recognition... in other words, you can't speak to it like a teenage girl (sorry for the stereotype, but we know what I'm describing).

    I haven't read every post on here thoroughly yet (am working on it now), but let's make sure we have realistic expectations, understand how to use it, and be specific with the problems as we continue. :)
  23. mas90guru's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #23  
    I find that the voice recognition on the 920 is poor in noisy situations but good when there is little background noise. I tested this side by side with my iPhone 5 in the car and the Nokia 920 couldn't understand 10 attempts at the same dictation while the iPhone 5 picked it up first time perfect.
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayz8 View Post
    On my Nokia 920, I receive a text, there is a 2 second delay before she reads, there is another option now which I feel doesn't make sense, I respond (ask if it's correct and would like to send) then done. It may look the same but there is a difference between the two phones.
    Yes, that I agree with ... there is a delay on the Nokia 900 and 920 with reading the messages that didn't exist on the Titan I (and apparently the Titan II from your post). Also, yes, I notice the 920 now gives you the option "add more" to your message, which I do like.

    If I were going to change anything, I want the ability to give my command while she's reading directions. I feel rude cutting her off, but I don't want to wait for her, lol.
  25. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mas90guru View Post
    I find that the voice recognition on the 920 is poor in noisy situations but good when there is little background noise. I tested this side by side with my iPhone 5 in the car and the Nokia 920 couldn't understand 10 attempts at the same dictation while the iPhone 5 picked it up first time perfect.
    I have absolutely NO issues using it in the car... in fact, that's pretty much 99% of my usage... while I have it plugged into the car AUX port... not Bluetooth. I have it sitting in my center cup holder, resting headphone jack and microphone up.

    I've only used Siri once, and it was an epic fail (see my previous post on here where I link to the details) and have never used it on Android, so I'm not going to engage in Apple/Google comparisons. I'm just going to voice my usage for Tell Me.

    I have had issues with Tell Me doing voice dictation for text messages if I speak really fast or stumble a lot in the message with "umm's and uhh's" and such. I also have issues in low signal areas with the performance of it processing. I typically think my message through BEFORE I say "reply" and start speaking... that helps a lot. I distinctly say words that I know it might not hear well... like you're/your and her (example I encountered yesterday).

    The long and short of it is this... voice technology has never really caught on for a reason. It's still complete and utter crap compared to direct input means, but it's great when it works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mango GPS "Voice Navigation" is a complete joke
    By Pete C in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 03:38 PM
  2. Voice recognition does not work after Music
    By Piratelooksat40 in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 10:39 AM
  3. Voice Recognition Failure
    By slsterling in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 12:50 AM
  4. Voice Recognition
    By JayTBennett in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
  5. Bluetooth Earpiece Sound is HORRIBLE
    By contento#wp in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

B