11-16-2012, 09:05 PM #1
- 17 Posts
I was in the AT&T store today and saw the difference between the screen on the 920 and my current 900 (as well as the new 820). The 920 doesn't have ClearBlack and it shows. The colors on the 900/820 are darker & richer, not to mention the blacks are deeper and blend with the rest of the phone. Looking at cyan for example, the 920 color is noticeably lighter, a pale version of what cyan looks like on the 900/820.
I know we are getting a great screen and other upgrades on the 920, but does anyone else feel that we're losing something with the ClearBlack gone?? I know Daniel mentioned it in his review, but I find it a shame when I consider switching to a 920.
11-16-2012, 09:12 PM #2
- 35 Posts
920 does have ClearBlack tech. You're talking about AMOLED, which the 820 has and the 920 does not. AMOLED has better blacks, yes, but also other downsides that TFT does not. There is no clear winner, it's a matter of taste.
- 11-16-2012, 10:19 PM #5
ClearBlack is there, but AMOLED is not. I miss the inky blacks and more vibrant colors a bit too. But the extra resolution and everything else are MORE than worth it. I suspect there just weren't any AMOLED screens in the resolution Nokia needed maybe. Not really sure of what the advantages of IPS are aside from an improved viewing angle, which is meaningless on a cell phone if you ask me. AMOLED is a better fit for the black intensive dark theme of WP and it uses less energy too. I see no disadvantages there. Still I got over the less black blacks and less colorful colors after a few days and I'm alright with it now. I still hope the successor to the 920 goes back to AMOLED though.
- By AnIrudha in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 24Last Post: 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM
- By Simon Tupper in forum Upcoming & Rumored DevicesReplies: 23Last Post: 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM
- By Gaichuke in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 25Last Post: 09-27-2012, 09:47 AM
- By geekmaster in forum Upcoming & Rumored DevicesReplies: 9Last Post: 09-19-2012, 04:32 PM
- By Mitlov in forum Upcoming & Rumored DevicesReplies: 2Last Post: 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM