Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I use BlackBerry, iOS and just recently WP8 on the Lumia 920. I went in to my local at&t on Friday November 9, and just bought the 920 off contract because I was excited for WP8 and all the great stuff I heard about it. Well, the phone is great but some things I don't like:

1. NO ROTATION LOCK (are you kidding Nokia/Microsoft)?!?!??!
    2. Ugly vibration when I touch the back, home and search
    3. Can't toggle between 3G/LTE
    4. WiFi disconnects when I lock the screen

other than that, idk, phone is great and all, but I think I'm gonna return this and go back to my iPhone and wait for BlackBerry 10

REALLY LOVE THE 920 but those little things do get annoying to me
    maybe I'll get a windows phone 9

anyone else frustrated by my 3 points?

If #4 is universally true across all 920s that will be ridiculously frustrating. I have a WiFi connection all day every day, which is pretty sweet for both battery and data usage, and having to constantly reconnect every time I unlock the phone would be a pain as well as making no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by iJuan View Post
    I use BlackBerry, iOS and just recently WP8 on the Lumia 920. I went in to my local at&t on Friday November 9, and just bought the 920 off contract because I was excited for WP8 and all the great stuff I heard about it. Well, the phone is great but some things I don't like:

other than that, idk, phone is great and all, but I think I'm gonna return this and go back to my iPhone and wait for BlackBerry 10

1. Rotation lock? On a phone? It's not really that bad is it?
    2. I find the vibrations quite nice :P maybe its your handset?
    3. There is an option to select the highest maximum speed to use in settings, so you can toggle between 3G and 4G.
    4. This is a known issue that Joe Belfiore has said will be patched soon.

I think going for BlackBerry 10 would be a big mistake!
    Thanked by:
    holyxiaoxin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cyanwinters View Post
    If #4 is universally true across all 920s that will be ridiculously frustrating. I have a WiFi connection all day every day, which is pretty sweet for both battery and data usage, and having to constantly reconnect every time I unlock the phone would be a pain as well as making no sense.
    I actually LOVE #4. I think the Wifi should disable when you lock the screen. I disable mobile data when I am on wifi. So your point doesn't really apply for me.

Besides, I'm at the office during the day, and I don't need constant notifications from my phone. If I'm out of the office, I enable mobile data.

I can see how you might be upset if you don't have a data plan.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyanwinters View Post
    Not sure what OP is talking about...I connect once and never have to sign in again, just like any other device with wifi.

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

I don't have 2 and 4 with my phone and am not bothered by 1 and 3 so I'm still loving mine... :D

Quote Originally Posted by sleewok View Post
    I actually LOVE #4. I think the Wifi should disable when you lock the screen. I disable mobile data when I am on wifi. So your point doesn't really apply for me.

Besides, I'm at the office during the day, and I don't need constant notifications from my phone. If I'm out of the office, I enable mobile data.

I can see how you might be upset if you don't have a data plan.
    This means that my phone will constantly be eating at my data plan limits instead of simply using wifi for everything when I have it locked. Since it spends most of its time locked, this is pretty bad news.

I work and live in environments with WiFi, so currently I can keep my data usage super low, but if my phone is going to be synced to email, facebook, twitter, ect and throwing toasts and such at me while on 3G, it's going to kill my data usage.

Plus it's proven fact that keeping WiFi on and connected uses less power than keeping 3G on..

Global Posts
    1,418 Global Posts
    Not really,

1-3 are extremely lame reasons.

4. an update will change this.

My iPhone also disconnects WiFi when locked.... Thought that was by design...

Sent using Board Express on my Yellow Nokia Lumia 920.

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts
    So far I love mine!

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    How are people saying that their wifi doesn't disconnect when the screen locks?

I thought this happened on all windows phones?

Don't know what OP is talking about, but nr. 4 is the exact thing on all the phones.

Even iPhones i have 4s and 5 here and they both disconnect WiFi when you lock the screen so i dont see how is that a problem on Lumia.
    unless you Jailbreak your iPhone and there is a hack for that but there is none on i5 so...
    Use the heart radio trick. Start iheartradio, stop the stream, WiFi stays on.
    holyxiaoxin likes this.

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts
    Good luck with blackberry 10. If those little things make you go revert back. Jeez.

Global Posts
    663 Global Posts
    I thought WIFI disconnect was a smart idea, hate that they may patch that. The whole point was that when you lock the phone it disconnects you from the WIFI and then once you unlock it you go back to the WIFI settings and reconnect, no reentering information. The problem was that many people would lock their phone, forget that they was on WIFI and it drain the battery searching for the WIFI.
    Thanked by:

1. Rotation lock can be annoying at times and I agree that it should be included in the OS. However, if you MUST have rotation lock, there is a homebrew app available from XDA.

2. Device specific issue. Not widespread and prevalent.

3. Unnecessary. Why would you want to do that? Just use the highest available speed.

4. That's not a bug but by-design. Although it is understandable why it's an issue for some. Anyways, a fix should be coming sometimes in the future. In the meanwhile, use any online radio app, play and then pause music, press the start button. This trick keeps your WiFi connected.

Quote Originally Posted by wubba View Post
    How are people saying that their wifi doesn't disconnect when the screen locks?

I thought this happened on all windows phones?
    If the WiFi is not actively being used by something (download or whatever) then it will disco when locked then wake up again when you wake the phone up. If something is actively going on like downloading updates for example and the screen locks, it will stay on until that job is done.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."

Global Posts
    579 Global Posts
    I've never seen an LTE phone that gives you ability to switch between LTE and 3G.

The Rogers 920 is such a phone. But for whatever reason the "highest connection speed" option is disabled on the AT&T variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayz8 View Post
    I thought WIFI disconnect was a smart idea, hate that they may patch that. The whole point was that when you lock the phone it disconnects you from the WIFI and then once you unlock it you go back to the WIFI settings and reconnect, no reentering information. The problem was that many people would lock their phone, forget that they was on WIFI and it drain the battery searching for the WIFI.
    I don't have a Windows 8 phone as of yet, but my EVO 4G has a setting to use the network when WiFi is not available. For me, WiFi uses a lot less power than when my phone is on the regular network. Everything switches automatically so I don't have to think about it. Hopefully Microsoft comes up with something like that, because I am on WiFi about 90% of the day.

Global Posts
    709 Global Posts
    3: On the Lumia 900 you could toggle between 2G, 3G, and 4G/LTE by dialing ##3282# and activate that toggle setting. Lumia 920 might or might not have an option like that.
    4. Joe Belfiore from Microsoft said their engineers tested with Wifi and 3G/4G usage and they found that 3G/4G uses less battery on the Snapdragon than Wifi, but they will give you the option in the future software update to have WIFI always on.

thats all well and great that lte uses less than my wifi but in the end, microsoft isnt paying my limited data. since buying this phone my data is up to 450mb when its usually around 120mb after 6 days of use. at this rate, unless i turn off my lte when Im on wifi and turn off all updates I will be over my plan in half of a month. completely inexcusable
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Balkan Eddy View Post
    Don't know what OP is talking about, but nr. 4 is the exact thing on all the phones.

Even iPhones i have 4s and 5 here and they both disconnect WiFi when you lock the screen so i dont see how is that a problem on Lumia.
    unless you Jailbreak your iPhone and there is a hack for that but there is none on i5 so...
    Both your 4S and 5 are faulty if they do that. Or your router is faulty. iOS by design keeps WiFi connected in standby and so does Android

iphones do turn off wifi when the screen is locked. It's normal. Can't say for Android.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast